PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a puppy: Boxer, Bull mastiff or Lab?

buttercup
02-17-2013, 09:53 PM
I really want a boxer, but my DH has had English Mastiffs and Labs his entire life and is leaning towards a bull mastiff. I feel like the drooling will make me crazy. This would be a first dog for our family. We need a mixture of protectiveness and family friendliness. We live in an urban area with weekends and school holidays spent in the country (large unfenced property). Any thoughts?

infomama
02-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Boxer family here (since 1999]. They are wonderful family dogs. I will say they require a lot of exercise so bear that in mind.

AngelaS
02-17-2013, 10:07 PM
I'd go with a boxer.

Bull mastiffs don't drool like English Mastiffs but based on their personality, I wouldn't choose one for a family dog.

crl
02-17-2013, 10:25 PM
We have friends with a very sweet boxer. That said, I'd go with a Lab. I think it is hard to beat Labs and Goldens for friendliness. (But I am not at all interested in a dog that thinks it is its job to protect me or the kids. I don't trust dogs' judgement on that and would much rather have a dog that thinks everyone is its friend).

I am sure you have done your due diligence already, but just in case, I suggest looking up the breed standard for each breed--there will be a breed specific website affiliated with the AKC that has this. And I suggest taking a good look at the exercise requirements for each breed. I am a firm believer in a tired dog is a good dog.

Catherine

Pennylane
02-17-2013, 10:33 PM
We are a boxer family here too and I can't say enough good things about them! They are kind, so gentle with my kids (and my kittens), and loyal as can be. They barely shed and mine only drools if he is being teased with food. We have had 2 boys and a girl and I preferred the boys to the girl.

Love, love, love them!

Ann

My friend has a lab who I adore also, but his hair gets everywhere!!

TwinFoxes
02-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Another boxer family. He is unbelievably patient with the girls. He will let them do anything to him...when they were younger i would put him behind the baby gate for HIS protection!

They are very energetic and mischievous as puppies though. I love ours so much. He is friendly and silly, but he is also very protective. Even when he's frightened (fireworks!) he's on alert and stands in front of me. There's a great boxer forum called boxerworld, check it out!

DualvansMommy
02-17-2013, 10:39 PM
We're a boxer household since 2007; two adopted as rescues aged 3 and 6 years old. Best dogs I ever had, and that's saying a lot as I grew up with dogs since born. I've had a lab, retriever, cocker spaniel and a Pomeranian. Boxers are really good with kids, my 20 months old DS adores his dogs!

But like other pp said, they do need a lot of exercise though. We live on an acre , so that helps and DH worked 7-3am whereas I worked 830 to 430. So I uusly walked them in mornings before working, DH walked them after he got home and we take DS on a nice evening walk with the dogs during warmer months.

Now I'm SAHM and really enjoy having the dogs around me during the day.

Good luck!

wendmatt
02-18-2013, 12:01 AM
I love labs and wouldn't get anything other than a lab or lab mix, they are the best! But as you can see, it depends on the person, so get what you love.

Momof3Labs
02-18-2013, 12:57 AM
I love Labs, but they need a lot of exercise. They need to run daily - fetching a ball, going for a run (vs. a walk), running with doggy friends at a dog park. And not just 20 minutes of running, but 1-2 hours of running. No matter the weather (in fact, they looooove the cold and snow). In rescue, we always say that a tired Lab is a good Lab; a Lab who does not get enough exercise tends to have a lot more behavior problems than one that does.

And Labs drool. A lot. They shed a lot too. Oh, how they shed.

You'd also probably need a fenced area at your country property for any of these breeds. It takes a while (and a lot of training and consistency) before they can be completely reliable to voice commands.

sste
02-18-2013, 01:37 AM
If you can, I would get a mix. It is pretty easy to find boxer or lab mix puppies in an urban area. I had a purebred dog as did many of my old neighbors and it is absolutely true that there is more cancer, disease, and other health problems in purebred lines. And we had a purebred that had had some genetic testing. Our dog died prematurely at age 7 of bladder cancer. Not trying to insult anyone's purebred canine companions - - I too was a "fan of the breed" as they say. But, it is never healthy to confine breeding in a small gene pool.

dcmom2b3
02-18-2013, 05:13 AM
Boxer! We have a neighbor who has a Boxer who's so sweet and so protective of his humans. If he had opposable thumbs he'd be my go to babysitter choice.

jjjo1112
02-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Boxer- such great family dogs!! Our boxer passed away last year but she took daily dosings of kids climbing on her, taking things away from her, teasing her and just loved the kids so much. They do require a lot of exercise but ours slowed down after about 3 years of age.

sophiesmom03
02-18-2013, 10:32 AM
I am voting boxer too over a lab just because you want the dog to be protective of your home and kids, which is not what labs are known for - so you might get one that is or you might not.

I have droolly dogs (Newfoundlands) and if you are already opposed to drool, I'd rule out the droolly dog as it is something you cannot change.

Every lab and boxer I've known with kids has been fabulous with them. Mastiffs too but I'll admit I don't truly know the differences between the types to know which ones were which.

ETA: There are in the Newfie world some breeders who claim to breed "dry mouth" Newfs. This is not possible to guarantee, as it is a part of the breed (they drool because their mouths/heads were made for strong, long swims in the ocean and the water needs to flow in and out and not impede their breathing). Some Newfs drool more than others, I'm sure the same is true for Mastiffs. With my dogs, one was always a big drooler and the other, became a moderate drooler around the age of 3.) So, beware of anyone who wants to guarantee you a "dry mouth" Mastiff...

trales
02-18-2013, 10:36 AM
As the owner of a very, very drooly newfie, you will get used to it, but you will spend a lot of time washing walls, clothes, ceilings, floors, cabinets etc. You would be surprised the places you can find drool.

sophiesmom03
02-18-2013, 10:41 AM
As the owner of a very, very drooly newfie, you will get used to it, but you will spend a lot of time washing walls, clothes, ceilings, floors, cabinets etc. You would be surprised the places you can find drool.

This is why I suggested no. ;) Cooper is not such a huge drooller (compared to Zu who is like a faucet) but still I've seen people react really strongly to avoid him even if he's just a little "foamy" (and I always have a rag)...

arivecchi
02-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Bull mastiffs drool like crazy, so probably not great for you! They are great with kids though. My ILs have had a couple and I will never forget the first time we brought DS1 over to their house as a newborn. We had a monitor on upstairs while he slept and DS1 started crying. This BM who my ILs thought could not longer climb or descend stairs came storming down the stairs to check on DS1. It was impressive and heart warming as he had never met DS1 before. They are so protective of little kids and pretty inactive, so otherwise a good fit for you, but super super drooly.

hellokitty
02-18-2013, 11:40 AM
If you can, I would get a mix. It is pretty easy to find boxer or lab mix puppies in an urban area. I had a purebred dog as did many of my old neighbors and it is absolutely true that there is more cancer, disease, and other health problems in purebred lines. And we had a purebred that had had some genetic testing. Our dog died prematurely at age 7 of bladder cancer. Not trying to insult anyone's purebred canine companions - - I too was a "fan of the breed" as they say. But, it is never healthy to confine breeding in a small gene pool.

:yeahthat: Our shelter has TONS of dogs of those breeds. I too am a fan of the mutt, b/c it waters down some of the more prominent gene issues from the pure breds, while still getting a lot of the personality of the breed too. That's how I ended up being a dorkie mom, and the vet agreed with me too that with our dog's mix of yorkie/doxie, that it would decrease chances of some of the bigger medical issues associated with each specific breed.

citymama
02-18-2013, 01:03 PM
I would get a lab mix. Much healthier to get a mixed breed and labs are wonderful dogs. Pure breeds just have more health complications and shorter lives. Fun to be getting a dog!

carolinamama
02-18-2013, 03:56 PM

:yeahthat:

On our first mix after several purebreds that were bred very responsibly. I won't go back because of health and personality both. Plus there are so many mutts that need a good home.

kjmollypup
02-18-2013, 04:18 PM
I definitely agree that some labs will be protectors and others, not so much. My 13 year old lab and chow mix was a shelter dog, and as such, was a little more on edge. She, and my mostly purebred 7 year old yellow lab, definitely let us know immediately if anything is out of the ordinary. Barking, growling, etc. very protective. But they still let my 21 month old DS crawl all over them.

I also agree about purebreds and health problems, but it does just depend.

For me, I love how loyal my labs have been, and though I love all dogs, it would be hard to get a different breed. I've had labs or mixes since i was 5. DH has been on a Great Dane or Newfoundland kick in recent years, but we are a two dog at a time family, so we are set for now. Good luck deciding!

Tondi G
02-19-2013, 01:54 AM
Love Labs and Boxers. I will say that our neighbors have a boxer that is around 3 or 4 yrs old and she is a complete LUNATIC! Love her to death and she is the sweetest thing but she doesn't get enough exercise and is just a nut! I've known some crazy Labs too though. They are both very high energy breeds and will need a lot of exercise and attention. The Lab will shed a lot more than the boxer .... but our friends boxer sheds her little short hairs all over too.

Good Luck making your decision.

drako
02-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Another vote for the boxer. We show and selectively breed and have been for 18 years! They are great family pets but do need exercise and training. They are awesome with children. They do shed but no where near a lab or other breed with a double coat. They are protective and tend to be aloof of strangers. Although, we rescued a boxer that was from pet shop or from a backyard breeder and he didn't have a protective bone in his body...he died at 6 to lymphosarcoma. That being said, I would purchase from a reputable breeder who health tests their dogs. Boxers are known to have some health problems but reputable breeders are doing all they can to breed a healthy pet since majority of their puppies do end up in pet homes not the show ring. You can start research by going to the American Boxer Club's website:

http://www.americanboxerclub.org/

I can also give you the regional boxer club in your area to contact for breeders. Just let me know what area of the country you are in. Also, you may be able to get that from the ABC website.

I wouldn't say mixed breeds are healthier than pure breeds. I have known plenty of people with mixed breeds and have had just as many health problems if not more than the well bred pure bred they wind up with both health problems from both breeds. We currently have a 13 year old boxer and he is just starting to slow down. Yes, we have had some that have died earlier but more breeders are breeding for longevity and go to lines with long-lived dogs.

I can go on and on but this is the baby forum not a dog forum! So if you want any other information PM and I would gladly point you in the direction of breeders that I know of if I know what area of the country you are in.

Good luck!

wangstar
02-19-2013, 10:32 AM
i am crazy about my beagle!!!
no matter which you decide, please consider adopting instead of buying from a breeder, so many animals need a forever home!

buttercup
02-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Another vote for the boxer. We show and selectively breed and have been for 18 years! They are great family pets but do need exercise and training. They are awesome with children. They do shed but no where near a lab or other breed with a double coat. They are protective and tend to be aloof of strangers. Although, we rescued a boxer that was from pet shop or from a backyard breeder and he didn't have a protective bone in his body...he died at 6 to lymphosarcoma. That being said, I would purchase from a reputable breeder who health tests their dogs. Boxers are known to have some health problems but reputable breeders are doing all they can to breed a healthy pet since majority of their puppies do end up in pet homes not the show ring. You can start research by going to the American Boxer Club's website:

http://www.americanboxerclub.org/

I can also give you the regional boxer club in your area to contact for breeders. Just let me know what area of the country you are in. Also, you may be able to get that from the ABC website.

I wouldn't say mixed breeds are healthier than pure breeds. I have known plenty of people with mixed breeds and have had just as many health problems if not more than the well bred pure bred they wind up with both health problems from both breeds. We currently have a 13 year old boxer and he is just starting to slow down. Yes, we have had some that have died earlier but more breeders are breeding for longevity and go to lines with long-lived dogs.

I can go on and on but this is the baby forum not a dog forum! So if you want any other information PM and I would gladly point you in the direction of breeders that I know of if I know what area of the country you are in.

Good luck!

Drako, thanks so much! I already PM-ed you with my location, LMK if you did not receive.