PDA

View Full Version : Titanic exhibit in Phili. Kid friendly?

amatahrain
02-18-2013, 02:32 PM
I would really like to go to the Titanic exhibit in Philadelphia. We live about 3 hours away and have friends in the area that we haven't seen in years but keep in touch with. There is a big baby consignment sale next month which is my main reason for the trip (two of the friends will go to the sale with me). DH and I will have to take our 3 year old DD with us so my question is how kid friendly is the Titanic exhibit? I know they allow kids based on the tickets available. Also can you tell me if you enjoyed it, thought it was worth the money (and travel) & if you took kids were they interested at all?

brittone2
02-18-2013, 03:09 PM
We haven't gone, but we have taken the kids to the Mummies and Dead Sea Scrolls exhibits at the same museum. They are set up pretty similarly. We took all 3 children, including the toddler (in an Ergo). The youngest was still very young during the Mummies exhibit, and then was 2 when we went to the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit. It was fine in general and there were other kids. I don't know if the content of the Titanic one is child-friendly. My DS2 is coming up on 3, and I would not expect any of it to be interesting to him, really. THe other two exhibits set up the same way were not set up to be child-friendly. My older two did enjoy them for the most part, particularly DS1 who has been through more history at this point.

Ideally, I'd rather not have my toddler along, but we tend to go as a family when DH has a day off from work or something. I keep waiting for discount tickets to hit Groupon, as we've been able to take advantage of those for Mummies and the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibits.

elephantmeg
02-19-2013, 11:31 AM
we did the franklin institute in the fall (they were doing dead sea scrolls then-but we didn't do that part-we were in Philly visiting my parents one more time before they moved to NC). We had a good time at Franklin. DD was 3.5 and did well there-she has a science bent like me and really enjoyed the human heart exhibit and DS enjoyed the electricity parts.

Mikey0709
02-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Haven't done the titanic exhibit but we're members if the Franklin inst and I take my 2, 5 & 7 year old all the time. They love the rest of the museum and its very kid friendly!

We were just there last weekend and the fast advice I can give while typing from my phone...is TRY to go during the week! Couldn't believe the long long line when I walked in there last Sunday!

We usually don't even bring in a stroller...but u would tend to think for the exhibit you may want one, and it would be easier to see stuff if you kept them contained. Also during the week may be easier to get up closer to read and see the smaller stuff. We have done other exhibits during the week...like the Egyptian one, and you just compete with some school trips...which were actually all out of there by 1-2pm.

Honestly if you went during the week around 3pm to the exhibit I would think it would be perfect! And not too crowded!

Let your kids run around the museum earlier to wear them out, get something to eat and maybe put them in the stroller and enjoy the enjoy the titanic! Pretty sure you buy timed entrance tickets and it probably takes and hour or two to go through.

lizzywednesday
02-19-2013, 12:51 PM
... the human heart exhibit ...

That's funny; the walk-through human heart used to scare the living daylights out of me! (The first time I saw it, I was around your DD's age.)