PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Nashville--NOT asking for me

crl
02-18-2013, 08:30 PM
No, no, we are NOT moving again. But I have a friend whose husband is going for a follow-up interview to Nashville. She is from the Mid-West and has lived East Coast and West Coast, but never that far south.

Any thoughts on Nashville in general and on schools in particular would be much appreciated. They would rent at first and have three kids, one in K this year, the other two younger. So she will need to know about public schools and preschools with options for all day care (she's a nurse and usually works hospital shifts).

I will pass any feed back along. She's been super helpful to me and I know she would really appreciate it!

Catherine

nicepersonfl
02-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Franklin and Murfreesboro (suburbs) have great school districts...Nashville public, not so much. The entire area is very nice with tons of things to do inside/outside and very family friendly. I grew up in the area & visit very often...feel free to PM me for specifics

Cam&Clay
02-18-2013, 08:57 PM
DH was stationed nearby but I only visited there. It was a wonderful city. I thought everyone was friendly.

I have a friend who traveled all over the world and when it came time to retire, she and her husband chose Nashville for the place to retire over anywhere they had ever visited. Neither one was from the area. They just loved it that much.

sariana
02-18-2013, 09:10 PM
I don't have any advice, but from your post title I thought you meant you didn't like the TV show!

ecofem
02-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Sister lives in Brentwood. Great schools, shopping, etc. This is where a lot of the country music folk live. It is a suburb of Nashville.

Franklin is also fabulous, and just a bit further south of Brentwood.

ecofem
02-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Also, sister had her kids at Susan Gray School, which is a preschool and part of the Vanderbilt University early childhood ed. This is a school that integrates special needs children with non-special needs kids. (My sis's kids were not special needs) I visited a few times, and it seems like a great place. If your friend is a nurse, she could work at the Vandy Hospital across the street and have her kiddos at the Susan Gray School. Just a thought.

http://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/admin-offices/sgs/index.php

AtlantaMom
02-18-2013, 09:58 PM
I LOVE Nashville. Great place to live and raise a family, IMO.

If she is interested in living in the city, have her check out Julia Green elementary, in Green Hills, or maybe Lockeland Elementary in East Nashville. There are also lots of great private schools, with fairly competitive admissions. PM me if you want more info.

crl
02-18-2013, 10:21 PM
I don't have any advice, but from your post title I thought you meant you didn't like the TV show!

Oops I will try to edit.

Thanks everyone!
Catherine

Kindra178
02-18-2013, 11:10 PM
I LOVE Nashville. Great place to live and raise a family, IMO.

If she is interested in living in the city, have her check out Julia Green elementary, in Green Hills, or maybe Lockeland Elementary in East Nashville. There are also lots of great private schools, with fairly competitive admissions. PM me if you want more info.

Great advice. There is another strong public elementary in Nashville proper. It has Percy in the name but it is not Percy Warner (it's by the other big park).

Nashville is a fantastic place to live. It's also really in right now. Great music scene, food scene, medical care and cost of living. It also has four seasons. There are few cities I would actually love to move to right now and that is one of them.

AtlantaMom
02-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Percy Priest is another elementary to consider... also Eakin, near Vandy.

Radswd
02-19-2013, 11:30 AM
I would also suggest Brentwood, Franklin, or Murfreesboro areas. For childcare most of the major hospitals have onsite daycare/preschool available. Most of my friends who have school age children & live in city choose private schools. However publics schools in above suburbs have great reputations. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

rlmomto5
02-19-2013, 12:48 PM
I was born and raised here in Middle TN. I grew up in Hendersonville, which is north of Nashville. If your friend wants to be near a lake, this is a great place to live. They also have a really good school system. My sister-in-law is a teacher there, and so are my two cousin's wives. Hendersonville is in Sumner County. Soon after having my first child, we moved to Franklin. (Williamson County) Wm. County is known for having the best school district. We are extremely pleased! As a PP said....Brentwood is very nice too! It is the most expensive place to live in Williamson County. You're only about 15-20 miles south of Nashville. 4 years ago, we moved to a smaller town in Wm. County called Spring Hill. We absolutely love it! However, if your friend is used to a large city....Spring Hill would not be for her. Our schools are excellent and you can get so much more house for your money.

As for Nashville (Davidson County)....you couldn't give me a house there! While there may be a few good elementary schools, there isn't a high school in Nashville I would let my children attend. There are some fabulous private schools though if your friend is looking for that. If you would like to give her my email, I would be happy to talk to her. [email protected]. I truly think she will like it here! Everyone is so friendly...lots of southern hospitality! :)

crl
02-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Thank you all so much!

Catherine