PDA

View Full Version : Sudden behavior changes in 3 yo? Disoriented, weepy

Simon
02-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Ds3 has a cold. A pretty mild one but runny nose and wet cough. No fever, no specific pain. Since the start he has acted far more sick that seems warranted (tired, sensitive, melting down over odd things, napping at strange times). I took him in over the weekend to have his lungs checked just in case of pneumonia. All clear.

Today at school, they said he was not at all himself, had 2 major meltdowns and crying jags, and that after waking up from nap he was wandering around disoriented, looking for clothing that he was already wearing, etc. Very odd and off behavior. They were concerned enough to call us, but it eventually resolved. He's also having impulse control trouble, again unusual for him.

He is on a new-to-him rescue inhaler (combivent) so I'm going to call the pulmonologist, but I'm guessing they won't think this stuff is related. So, who else would you call? Anyone? Wait it out? The choices are regular pediatrician, neurology, endocrinology or maybe allergy? I'm leaning towards neurology but I'm open to suggestions. I don't love the regular ped (we're new to him and its been only so-so).

chlobo
02-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Both of my kids have a similar illness. Mostly cold symptoms with a horrible sounding cough accompanied by weepy, sensitive behavior. It's really trying my nerves. I hope your son gets better soon.

wellyes
02-18-2013, 09:08 PM
I think he just sounds really needy. I wouldn't do anything at this point but give him lots of cuddles and try to get him as much sleep as possible. I hope he feels better soon.

daisyd
02-18-2013, 09:24 PM
The disorientation is concerning. I'd get it checked starting with the pediatrician. I hope he feels better soon.

Reader
02-18-2013, 09:33 PM
My DS is super moody if he takes any rescue asthma medicine but albuterol (name of the one that bothers him escapes me). I'd say it could definitely be the new medicine.

KpbS
02-18-2013, 09:33 PM
My DC 8,4, and 2 have all had a fever respiratory virus recently and have all been confused at times over the course of the 4-5 days. If I doesn't improve, I would definitely make a call to the pulm about side effects and call the ped.

barkley1
02-18-2013, 09:48 PM
DS has just the start of a cold, which included a low grade fever for abut 24 hrs, over the weekend. He has had the two worst meltdowns I've ever seen, and very odd clingy, Needy behavior that is out of the norm. Today, DH called me while I was running errands to see how close to home I was bc DS was in such a state of meltdown bc it was DH and not me getting him up from his nap. That has NEVER happened before!

I would think its a combo of sick + new meds. Would def get checked out if you notice anymore disorientation.