PDA

View Full Version : dairy free baked oatmeal?

Sweetum
02-19-2013, 03:05 AM
I've been wondering about making baked oatmeal dairy free. I don't know what would be a substitute for the yogurt soak. Anyone?

boltfam
02-19-2013, 08:40 AM
We are df, and I either just use a milk substitute or coconut milk yogurt. I soak mine in the fridge if I use df milk, but I usually don't soak it at all.

Sweetum
02-19-2013, 02:24 PM
So, you're saying I could use coconut or almond milk (not necessarily yogurt of these) and let it soak and then do the rest of the things. I was under the impression that the yogurt breaks down some things in the oats...

boltfam
02-19-2013, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=bullkin;3731918]So, you're saying I could use coconut or almond milk (not necessarily yogurt of these) and let it soak and then do the rest of the things. I was under the impression that the yogurt breaks down some things in the oats...[/]

I know that soaking the oats breaks down the nutrients in the oats more, but I'm not sure if you have to use yogurt or if milk will do the same thing. Hopefully, someone else can weigh in on that. I do make baked oatmeal a lot without soaking it; it's just not as nutritious as it could be. :)