PDA

View Full Version : Do you go on girlfriend getaway trips with your friends or vacations without kids??

SASM
02-19-2013, 10:19 AM
I currently have 4 friends on Mommy vacations during Feb break. One went on a mother/daughter trip to Paris and London (love THAT!) and three are Army wives, Friend #1 is on a cruise while DH is home (not sure if her friend's DH is deployed...support), Friend #2's DH is deployed (her boys are awesome but needs a break), and Friend #3 is at WDW for the Princess Half Marathon. I can only dream of doing something like this...but it won't happen because:
1) We do not have the support available to watch the kids since DH's current job schedule is so sporadic.
2) We do not go on enough vacations to feel that I have disposable time to go on a girl-vaca, let alone the $$.
3) And, simply, at this point in my life, as much as I would like to get away sometimes, I WANT to go on vacations with my family. Why spend the extra $/time and not include my favorite people in the world? They actually BEHAVE on vacations!!!

...which leads me to Part 2...

Do you go on Parent-Only vacations without kids? My Paris/London friend has gone on at least 3 vacations over the last 2 years without her kids. She is planning one to Ireland again for next year and has asked us if we would like to go. I would love to but I want to experience Europe with my children. Am I in the minority? We just do not have the expendable income (I, honestly, do not know where their $$ is coming from either but that is beside the point) and, if I did, I want to experience vacations with my family.

Thoughts? Thinking about a poll to make it easier... Thank you!! I am just really curious...

wellyes
02-19-2013, 10:27 AM
I went away for a weekend with my husband and that was nice, but, I wasn't craving more time away.

We definitely plan to go on some adventures while leaving the kids with grandma, but we're waiting until they're both 5+.

maestramommy
02-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Nope. The most we can manage is me having a day out, dh stays home with kids. Like you, we don't have that kind of support needed to do such a thing, we as a family don't even go on enough vacations for me to justify asking Dh to stay home from work so I can go on a vacation. I just can't fathom it. We would like to take more vacations with the kids but they are so young right now we're not sure the money spent would be worth it. We haven't even gone to Disney yet, though we are planning to this summer, and that is largely in part because we will be in SoCal already. At this point we wouldn't pay for travel just to go to Disney, iykwim.

That is not to say I'm against the concept. I have friends with a ton of grandparent support and they have gone on alone vacations with their Dh since their kids were babies and no longer bfing. Not everyone is that fortunate. At the same time many of these mommy friends have dhs that travel a lot for work, and I don't have to deal with that. My dh works very regular hours, only has to work overtime once in a while, and even then it's on his own terms.

kdeunc
02-19-2013, 10:40 AM
I take a weekend trip once a year for a college "reunion". We have about 8 girls who met in college working with our baseball team that get together every fall for the baseball alumni weekend. Most of us live within a couple of hours from the town so it is a short trip. One comes from out of state. It is the only "getaway" I have each year. I can't imagine going to Europe or somewhere "big" without my family. Nevermind the $$ ;)

lmwbasye
02-19-2013, 10:41 AM
DH and I have. My parents have generously offered to watch the boys after each deployment as a thank you to DH and I. We usually go just for 2 or 3 nights. It can definitely be tough to leave but this is a huge priority for us. Our marriage goes through so many challenges already with this lifestyle and we feel strongly that time like this is well spent and a HUGE benefit to the marriage. We even make sure to put aside some of the extra money from each deployment for just this purpose. I also flew over to the UK once for a week (leaving DS1 with my family) while DH was there for a month for work. This was a 30th birthday present to me from my parents so almost no expense there.

We are lucky to have this support and take advantage of it while it's there. When DH gets home this time, I'm not sure we'll have time for this because of the craziness of trying to move overseas within weeks. We are flying to my brother's for a weekend to baptize my gorgeous nephew (DH is the godfather and they are waiting for him) and I may talk to my parents about just keeping the boys for one night. I also see this time as precious bonding time for the boys and their extended family...especially since we rarely live nearby and the time together is always short. We will also head to CA as a family if we can find time for a week since DH will be working as soon as we hit the ground in the UK and stateside will be our best opportunity for leave.

AnnieW625
02-19-2013, 10:42 AM
I haven't been on a girlfriend getaway in almost 9 yrs., and that was for a bachelorette party in S. Lake Tahoe, so about 2 yrs. before DD1 was born. I just don't have any super close girlfriends here to consider doing that with. It makes the extrovert in me pretty sad, which in then makes me an introvert because I am just too nervous to even think about setting one up in fear that it will all fall apart and no one will be able to go.

DH and I took a 4 day trip (Friday-Monday) to the central coast for our 5th anniversary in 2008. We thought about going this year, but DD1's godparents are in the midst of a kitchen renovation so I knew it wasn't going to work timing wise. We are hoping for another little mini getaway sometime this year.

We do leave the kids with DD1's godparents about 2-4 times per year overnight. We haven't done that in awhile, but enjoy it when we do. We usually go out and then just come home to our house.

sarahsthreads
02-19-2013, 10:43 AM
We've never done a non-kids vacation (since having kids, of course), nor has either of us gone away with our own friends (DH has done business trips, naturally, but those don't count...though I'm certain he enjoys the respite from coming home and helping to cook, clean, and put kids to bed...) We don't have the disposable income to take regular trips with or without the kids except to visit (in-state, but a lot of tanks of gas away) family.

We had very briefly contemplated, now that the kids are 4 and 8, taking some time over this winter break to go someplace warm for like 3 days, just the two of us, some island a reasonably short flight away from NYC (where my ILs live)...

...and then we discovered DC#3 was on his/her way. So...maybe in another four years? :ROTFLMAO:

Sarah :)

egoldber
02-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Yes.

I have a standing girls trip every year for a long weekend. This gets planned almost a year in advance because it takes a lot of coordination.

DH and I try to get away every year for a long weekend. This is actually harder because it requires my ILs to come and watch the kids. It's easier for just me to get away because he is home with the kids.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Kid-free vacations?? Ah, that's just a pipe dream right now.. :)

Like you, we don't have the support do that...we have no family in town. I was insanely jealous of a mom in my mom's group who last year went for a WEEK long trip to an all-inclusive in Mexico with her DH. She has her parents in town to watch the kids, and her ILs have a home in town and came to visit to help watch them. Her kids are the same age as mine. I was extremely jealous!! Like PP, i am not against the concept at all, i think parents deserve a break, and especially so in the early years where it's just so exhausting. It's just that we don't have the support to do that. My parents live out of state, and ILs live 6 hours away. Both my parents and my FIL still work.

Though you ask about girls' weekend getaways..i did do an overnight "staycation" thing at a nice hotel with some moms from our group...we chatted at a pool, shared hotel rooms and then had breakfast together the next day. i was only gone for one night. Oh, and DH & I did have a weekend ( 2 nights) alone last October for our 5 year anniversary..but we had to drive 6 hours to the ILs to drop the kids off there and then we just stayed at a nice local hotel. One of those days was spent with a migraine as the week before DH had been OOT all week and i had a job interview that same week too, so i was just recovering from all the crazy stress of that plus the road trip there. So not sure that really "counts" as a vacation.

Anyway, like PP said, we first would like to go on more vacations WITH our kids..especially now that travel with them is getting easier and easier. Also, now that I work fulltime I feel much less of a need for time away from the kids..I'm actually interested in taking them places. Next year we want to take them to Disneyland and maybe the year after we want to take them on a ski trip. We'd love to take the kids to Europe too, but not until they're at least 8 or 9 so they could appreciate it. I think the other thing too is that once the kids are older it will be eaiser for them to do kids clubs and whatnot so DH & I could have a few hours to ourselves here and there.

crl
02-19-2013, 10:59 AM
I have been a mom for eight and a half years. I have been on one weekend trip to visit a childless friend while ds and dh stayed at home. I have been on two overnights away with dh, without children. One my in-laws kept ds, the other we hired our babysitter to stay the night with the kids. I am trying to arrange another overnight, hopefully the babysitter is available the night I was able to get the B&B reservation.

Catherine

MamaMolly
02-19-2013, 11:08 AM
I went on one girlfriend only getaway this past summer and it was wonderful!! I'd love to have one with just me and DH but it isn't in the cards right now. Maybe when the kids are a little older.

elephantmeg
02-19-2013, 11:09 AM
DH and I go away every year for a weekend. Sometimes twice. We work opposite shifts and honestly those weekends together just us no to do lists/no interrupting kids etc have saved our marriage. Honestly. I have never gone away just me. I am planning a trip to meet my new niece in April but am going with my parents and DD (since she isn't in school yet) so I don't think that counts!

DH goes away a weekend a year to a camera collector's group meet up. It's driving distance and he generally stays with someone. Before the kids were in school we would all go but the last couple years he's gone by himself.

Twoboos
02-19-2013, 11:14 AM
I voted other for both.

Last year I went on a 40th bday trip with 5 of my HS friends for a week. It was beyond fabulous, and a miracle we were able to coordinate for all of us between money, child are, vacation, etc.. It was just so nice not to have a single demand made on you by anyone!!! I recommend it to everyone if you can manage it.

Some other friends are planning a long weekend away in the fall and I'd love to go on that too, but I feel guilty since I "just" did the big trip last summer.

The last time DH and I went away was about 7 years ago. I thought we could pull something off this year for our 15th (!!) anniversary. The girls have a Girl Scout camping weekend, but DH isn't sure he is comfortable with them going without me. Sigh. We don't even do date night, I don't know why I thought we could take advantage of DDs being gone for a weekend.

Bro and SIL are talking about us switching babysitting for weekends away, like within the next month. But their kids are really young and the baby isn't sleeping through the night, which sounds unfun for us, lol.

weech
02-19-2013, 11:15 AM
I've been on a couple short weekend trips to visit girlfriends in the past couple years. As for parent-only vacations, DH and I go on at LEAST 1 week-long trip per year. Usually 1 week-long trip, 1 long weekend and a couple regular weekend trips.

We both love to travel and we have two sets of grandparents fighting over DS, so it's kind of in our favor to take some trips so DS can have his grandparent time! :D Usually the week-long vacation is a true "vacation" and often some of the other trips end up being weddings or other obligatory stuff.

eta - DH also goes on 1-2 skiing trips (3-6 days each) with his guy friends each year. He travels by himself more than I do.

Philly Mom
02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
I have gone on a couple weekend aways with girlfriends, one a reunion and one a bachelorette party. We also were supposed to go to a wedding a few hours away one night and leave DD with a sitter. She got sick an hour before we left. I travel for work and so does DH so it is possible this make it easier. I am hoping that we will spend a couple nights away as a couple this summer.

Melaine
02-19-2013, 11:18 AM
No, even though I think it would be great to do so. Maybe when the kids are older. Mostly though I just don't want to spend the money on a girls' trip when we really can't afford family trips. I think family trips should come first, ykwim?

BDKmom
02-19-2013, 11:56 AM
My best friend and I met up yearly for a long weekend before kids. Since DS was born, we have tried to keep that going, although we did miss the year her DD was born. We basically meet halfway between my place and hers (a 2-3 hr drive for each) and shop, go to the movies, eat out and just relax. My DH has kept DS. This year, I think I might take DS so he can hang out with her DD and leave my DD with DH.

I have also traveled alone to attend my BFF's baby shower, to help her after her DD was born, and to help my sister after her DD was born. My DH is great about keeping the kids. He also has MIL nearby to help him out if needed.

My DH has taken several weekend trips with friends since the kids were born. Mostly to attend football games, but one was a golf trip. I don't mind. I think it does him good to get away for a couple of days.

DH and I have taken one trip together since kids, that was a two-night getaway a couple of hours from home for my birthday a couple of years ago. It was before DD was born, and MIL kept DS. We have plans for a trip this summer to celebrate our 10th anniversary. My sister will keep the kids, so we will have to fly to her house in Houston, drop off the kids, fly to our destination, fly back to pick them up, then fly home. It will be a lot of hassle and $, but I really want to do this trip, so we are planning ahead.

I anticipate having more opportunity for getaways once DC are older. Fortunately, at least for now, we are financially able to have a no kids trip and a family vacation, although it may mean cutting each a little short to accomodate time off, etc.

Globetrotter
02-19-2013, 12:15 PM
I do at least a couple of weekends a year with girlfriends but never alone with dh.

megs4413
02-19-2013, 12:19 PM
I wish! I don't think I have any Mommy friends who could. I could if I had Mommy friends that were able, because my DH owes me quite a bit of vacation time and has the flexibility to give it, but I would have no one to go with. I'm always amazed when there are Moms who can pull it off! Jealous!

We've never done parents-only vacations, either, and I don't think they would be practical.

My Dh, OTOH, has been on probably 5 or so vacations by himself since we've had kids. It is definitely a sore spot between us.

daisymommy
02-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Snort! In my dreams! Actually, in my dreams I would go away with DH and no kids on a Long Island vacation. But we don't have the money or child care support for something like that. I don't feel comfortable leaving young children alone with a care giver for more than overnight, and since our kids are all 3 years apart, I exclusively BF, that has not happened yet. I have never expected to do something like that either. Maybe someday when they are all older. And that's fine with me.

Sent from my iPad

brittone2
02-19-2013, 12:27 PM
I really haven't. My kids don't go to bed well for someone else until they are a bit older, they coslept until 2-3, and we don't currently have family available to really watch them. My parents would, but are 9 hours away, and really could probably only handle 2-3 days realistically. They do offer though; DH has a trip to Europe coming up for work and they wanted me to go. However, I'm not leaving my kids with them for that amount of time as it will be a longer trip. ILs would watch the kids for a weekend but are already swamped providing childcare to BIL/SIL, and DH's 90 yo grandmother, who is currently living with the ILs.

However, DH and I are at the point now where we've finally gotten better about leaving them with a sitter for fairly regular date nights (logistics have just worked out better recently; finally found sitters we like, DS2 is easier to leave, etc.). We are hoping to get away for a weekend or two over the next year. I have the chance to travel with him for work trips as well, but working out childcare hasn't always been easy, and really DS2 would have freaked out up until recently. We're kind of looking forward to turning the corner where that all becomes a little easier.

I don't do girls' weekends right now, but would be up for it. I skipped a few over the last 10 years as I was either super pregnant and couldn't travel, or had a scheduling conflict. Now the friends who did do girls' weekends just seem swamped with everyday life. After nearly a decade of parenting, I am just feeling the itch to prioritize myself (and DH) a whole lot more ;) I actually would love to go away by myself for a whole weekend; I've considered doing a little summer retreat to plan some HSing things for next year.

hellokitty
02-19-2013, 12:27 PM
I've been a mom for 9 yrs and we have had no vacations without the kids and I haven't had any girls weekend type of trips either. It's a combo of a few issues, but mostly we don't have family support to help with the kids, and honestly even if they were willing to do it, I have some trust issues with either set of parents and their poor judgement. We both come from families where we are amazed that we made it alive out of childhood. So, it's not just me, DH has concerns too. We just sent DS1 and DS2 off to a wk of camp 3 hrs away last summer, which was the very first time my kids have EVER been away from us overnight. However, we still have DS3. So, maybe we will get to the point in a few yrs, where it will be better. However, I also get a strong vibe from both grandparents that they would feel put out if we asked them to watch the kids for us to go on a trip. At least, I know my mil would feel that way. She has been retired for as long as DS3 has been alive (3.5 yrs) and has not volunteered to help out at all, and the one time I was really desperate and asked her for help, she made up some lame excuse. She is the type content in seeing her grandkids 1 hr a month and barely knowing them at all. My parents might be more excited about watching my kids, BUUUT they would refuse to do it at our house. Their house is gross and a death trap, there is no way I'd agree to let my kids stay at their place w/o us, and my father is more stubborn than a mule, so if it is based on my rules, he will find a way to defy me. So, that is why I have trust issues. If I tell him my kid aren't allowed to have red dye, then he will go out of the way to make sure they get red dye. He's crazy. My mom is mostly ok, but there is no way she would not let my now retired dad come with her to watch the kids and that is the big problem. He's just a jerk and I have issues with exposing his toxic personality to my kids too, esp for a long period of time vs. a brief 30 min visit (usually, that is the max he will spend with my kids).

*myfoursons
02-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Yes, they're a must for me. I average 2 trips a year. My close friends live all over the country, and it's important to maintain these friendships.

I have a group of college friends that get together once a year, we stay in the US but go all over the country to make it fair as we're all over :) I also go visit a couple of friends, maybe once a year.

hillview
02-19-2013, 12:48 PM
I'd love a girlfriend's vacation but not happened. My sister does one every year or so (and no, I haven't been invited and yes, I am bitter). DH and I go away once a year at least (sometimes 2x) usually just a long weekend. Exceptions have been his 50th, my 40th and likely our 10 year anniversary.

Beckylove
02-19-2013, 12:50 PM
I've had 1 girlfriend trip in the 10 years I've been married, even pre- kids.

DH and I've done 2 weekends no kids and a week for our 10th anniversary. We do think it is important for our marriage, but our kids are really little. We've never been apart while breastfeeding, which we do for at least a year.

So I am definitely looking forward to some trips in the future, just not right now.

Giantbear
02-19-2013, 12:51 PM
I have taken Daddy Daughter only trips..... does that count??

pb&j
02-19-2013, 12:57 PM
DH and I try to get away once a year without the kids. I travel without DH or kids not quite annually. Dh and I have both traveled with one or both kids, and without each other. We both used to work for the airlines and traveled extensively pre-kids, so travel isn't something either of us could ever give up.

My parents live nearby and are very involved with the kids

KrisM
02-19-2013, 01:34 PM
I don't have girlfriend vacations or parent-only vacations. But, I do have weekends to myself twice a year. In the spring, I go up north to my parent's lakehouse Fri-Sun by myself. I bring a project, some books, a DVD and just relax. In the late summer, DH takes the kids to the lakehouse and leaves me home. Usually, I clean and organize, but still have a good amount of relaxation time.

During the year, I often go to my parent's house with the kids, leaving DH home for 5-6 hours on his own, so this is how we even things up a bit.

Over the past few years, I've also gone to a couple out of town showers and weddings of friends, leaving DH with the kids for a couple days.

I like vacationing as a family, so I don't see kid-free vacations happening soon. And, we don't have anywhere to leave the kids :).

buddyleebaby
02-19-2013, 01:46 PM
We do very occasional weekends. DH will have the opportunity to get away with his friends (they usually go camping) or I will go somewhere with my friends or sister. DH and I will take the occasional night or two away and leave the kids with my mom, who enjoy their own vacation at Grandma's house.
DD3 is too little to leave so Dh and I just enjoyed a night in MA, just us and baby. :) The last time I had a girls' weekend was almost a year ago.
I genuinely enjoy vacations with my kids, but they are a different experience. There is some stuff that I would like to do that I know they wouldn't/couldn't. Plus I think that it is important for Mommies and Daddies to have the opportunity to truly relax and unwind occasionally and that's hard to do when you have four people other than yourself to take care of.

mjs64
02-19-2013, 03:50 PM
I am sooo much looking forward to my first trip away from DS. This weekend! My sister is getting married in Las Vegas this weekend, and I definitely did not want to bring a 2 year old to Vegas. So DH's MIL is flying in (!!!!!) to stay with my 2 year old from Thurs-Sun.

I don't think we could have done it before now, but now that he's 2 (and SSTN), I think it's going to be fine.

I cannot wait--haven't been away from DS for more than 18 hours yet. And I miss the alone time with DH.

I'd love to do more trips with DH, though I probably won't do any with friends, or at least not for a long time.

lizzywednesday
02-19-2013, 03:54 PM
DH and I have yet to plan a getaway where we leave DD longer than a few hours, and I am OK with that. (My parents never left us by ourselves either!)

As for friend getaways ... not exactly.

My BFF and her DD (13) are coming to town in a few weeks and we plan to spend one day out & about on our own without either DD or DH, but we will be returning home at the end of the day to sleep.

We haven't seen each other since before DD was conceived, so we're really looking forward to the visit.

theriviera
02-19-2013, 04:28 PM
I am doing my first girlfriend trip this year. It is a 6 hour flight for only 2 nights which made me hesitate but DH really encouraged me to go. I think he wants to make sure he gets a guy trip in this year.

DH and I have been on 2 kids free vacations since DD1 was born 4 years ago. We are about to head on another one next week. My MIL lives close by but she doesn't help. We fly my parents in cross country if we want them to watch our kids.

hellokitty
02-19-2013, 04:35 PM
I wish! I don't think I have any Mommy friends who could. I could if I had Mommy friends that were able, because my DH owes me quite a bit of vacation time and has the flexibility to give it, but I would have no one to go with. I'm always amazed when there are Moms who can pull it off! Jealous!

We've never done parents-only vacations, either, and I don't think they would be practical.

My Dh, OTOH, has been on probably 5 or so vacations by himself since we've had kids. It is definitely a sore spot between us.

I totally relate. I have mom friends, but I'm not sure we are really close enough to do a girls wknd away, and my college friends are mostly still DINKS or single, career women, our lives are so different, we don't KIT that much anymore. I don't think they'd be interested in hearing me talk about my everyday life and sometimes I just feel that their concerns are so superficial compared to some of the crap I deal with everyday at home, so it would be hard for both sides to relate. I have some friends who are closer to one another that do girls wknds all of the time. I get slightly jealous, BUT I am not a big drinker and a lot of them are, so I don't really think I'd enjoy myself that much anyway if I was invited.

We also have not done a parent vacation, while dh has been on several trips on his own. Granted that they are work-related conferences, but trust me, he has a BLAST during those trips and I know he looks forward to them every yr with giddiness. Then he comes home and can't stop telling me how awesome it was and I just want to hit him over the head, b/c I got stuck with 3 kids and was miserable. One time he even left me with a fresh post-op DS1 (6 yrs old at the time), who had not just one, but two surgeries (ear and neck) to go to a conference. I am a RN and I can do dressing changes, NBD, but I had to do dressing changes on his ear 3x a day and he was in hysterics each time, freaking out if I even touched his dressing at all, ugh. My mom only stayed for one day to help, it really, really sucked. I don't know if I will ever forgive him for leaving me like that. He wasn't a speaker or anything, so he didn't HAVE to be there, but he went anyway, b/c he loves New Orleans and he just HAD to go, and then he came home and just gloated about all the great food he ate!!! I was so pissed at him, I can't even verbalize it. So, yeah I get the whole, "vacation owed" thing. Unfortunately, I don't see myself cashing in on my share of vacation anytime soon, esp with both sets of (retired) grandparents, not being willing or particularly mentally sound enough to be left with my kids.

ZeeBaby
02-19-2013, 04:48 PM
DH and I do one vacation together a year. Last year we didn't do anything, but this year we are going to Turks and Caicos for a wedding. The same bride is having a bachelorette party in Vegas. Initially I didn't plan to go, but I found a crazy airfare deal and DH said it is fine for me to go. That will be for 3 nights. My only concerning is making sure DH has help with the kids while I am gone since he works a significant distance. My sister and mom live 2 hours away and they are a tremendous help.

cookiemonster80
02-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Yes- I just got back yesterday from my yearly trip with my college girlfriends- this is only the 3rd year we've done it and while it is super hard with young kids and differing schedules we are convinced we need it for our sanity.

We live all over th country but try to keep it as inexpensive as possible. But coming back refreshed and recharged is just so so needed.

SnuggleBuggles
02-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Yep. I am happy to have time to refresh and be me, not a mom/ on mom duty. It's nice to be selfish and not accountable to kids. I usually wind up going away once/ year with friends and a bit less with dh. Dh and I get kid breaks together almost weekly though bc of sleepovers at grandma's for the kids. We went away for 8 days 3 years ago but usually just a short weekend.

Pyrodjm
02-19-2013, 06:05 PM
I will be going on my first gf weekend with my oldest friend and traveling buddy. Our babies are about the same age and this will be the first time either of us have traveled without our kids. DH and I were planning a long weekend last month andbut my dad had a stroke a few other things happened. We will probably have our first kid free weekend sometime this year.

I also enjoy traveling with my kids. They are pretty adaptable and well behaved while we are on vacation. I don't really feel a burning need to get away from them but I'm looking forward to a kid free night or two.

g-mama
02-19-2013, 06:11 PM
I've gone on one girls weekend and one 4-day trip with dh for our 10-year-anniversary since becoming a mother 12 years ago.

We just don't have the family support to do it.

I remember vividly spending a week each year with the family of my friend when I was little. My parents always went on a company trip that he'd win every year and my brother and I would split up and go to different friend's houses. I can't imagine that now, maybe because people's lives are just so much more hectic? It would feel like such an imposition to ask any friend such a favor.

nfowife
02-19-2013, 06:22 PM
My DH and I don't do huge blow-out type vacations without the kids frequently, but we do go for nights or weekends away when my in-laws visit if we can swing it schedule wise. We just did 2 nights in Dallas (we live 3 hours away in OKC) over the winter break when the in-laws were here. We've also done a ski trip when DS was around 1 and DD around 3 for 5 nights and my in-laws stayed with the kids while visiting.
I am going to visit my grandmother and spend a day househunting in the town we'll be moving to this summer next weekend, and DH is taking 2 days off to be home with the kids. Then in April we are flying my MIL out here for the weekend (FIL is coming along and bought his own ticket) so we can go to an orientation weekend at the university in the town we're moving to.
This summer our plan is to leave our house (hoping it is sold!) after the school year ends and go to FL and stay with the IL's for about a month. I'm enrolling the big kids in camp there. Then in mid-July DH and I will head up to the new house (driving our car), get the house situated, and about a week or so later the IL's will fly up with the kids and bring them to us and visit a bit.

My IL's are very active and involved, as much as they can be while living states away. They visit pretty frequently (both are teachers so have summers and holidays off) and are happy to help out with the kids.

I don't go on a ton of girlfriend weekends but I certainly have. Usually not big flying weekends but driving somewhere for a night or 2 and then coming back home. My DH has no problem staying home for me to do things like that, though it isn't easy to schedule with his work schedule and the kid's sports stuff.

My DH would really like to go to Europe for a week or so this summer and I'm a bit hesitant not because of the cost but I feel that is a long time and a lot to ask my IL's, especially with the move and all the help they will do for that. We'll see. It's not that I don't want to enjoy Europe with my kids (they've spent 2 years as young kids living in Italy and we traveled a lot), but I don't think it's necessary for me to wait years until I feel the $$ spent on that kind of trip will be worth it for them to enjoy and remember it. I don't think it's terrible for the kids to stay home for a few days without me if I'm confident they are in good hands either. They have fun and I know I certainly do!

ilfaith
02-19-2013, 07:53 PM
The oldest of my three children will be nine in June. Since he was born, I have had one "girls weekend" in NYC about 15 months ago and DH and I have gone on one parents only trip, to Israel, two years ago. On the other hand, DH travels almost weekly for work, and has had a few trips without me (a wedding in San Francisco, a bachelor party in Vegas, plus a few business trips he extended to see friends or family in cities he visited for work).

We live in Florida and our family is mostly in New York and New Jersey, so we don't have any family nearby to watch the boys, and I wouldn't be comfortable leaving them with anyone at this stage. Our regular babysitters are all high school girls, so not quite capable of caring for the boys for more than a few hours at a time. DH's work schedule makes it challenging for me to plan any sort of trip without him, but I am hoping to go back up to NYC again in late April for a friend's 40th birthday weekend.

belovedgandp
02-19-2013, 09:57 PM
In 9 years I did one 3 day weekend away with college friends. That was 8 years ago, sadly when we tried again 3 years ago it ended up being leaving DHs at home and it was girlfriends + kids trip.

DH and I have taken three trips without kids. Two were work related and one was a long weekend for our 10th wedding anniversary. I have my parents close who are great for a night here or there, but my kids need to get much older before they will take them for any length of time.

With my parents it is more the numbers. Now that we have three kids they are DONE after 1/2 a day of all of them. Just one kid would not be a problem.

MelissaTC
02-19-2013, 09:59 PM
I go on a girls beach trip with friends from church. We leave on a Friday and return Sunday. We're lucky that our favorite place is a little more than two hours away so have gas, will travel! We are able to rent a condo from a friend's friend, blah blah blah so I think it was like $50 a person plus groceries and meals out. Last time we did a haunted walking tour and that was a ton of fun.

DH and I have done a week long trip to Vegas as a couple and lots of 3 day getaways, some even just a night. We need it! The recharge does us good. When FIL comes down, we are doing a night away. I can't wait.

army_mom
02-19-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm going on my first kid free girls weekend this weekend for the Princess Half Marathon! :cheerleader1: We were originally going to all go but my work schedule changed and my friend couldn't afford to do all the Disney parks (so no way was I going to take DD and NOT go to WDW, kwim?), so we just decided to turn it into a girls relaxing getaway.

DH and I have never taken a vacation without DD but we are moving near his parents in a few months so it will be much easier to have DD stay with them. We are headed to NY for DH's 10 year college reunion this fall for an adults only getaway and I can't wait!

When we go to the beach, we always see a lot of groups of girlfriends on trips have a blast! One day I want to have a girlfriend getaway in Destin to!

SASM
02-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Wow...this is soooo interesting!!! Thank you, ladies!!! Sooo jealous of those who can manage a girls' getaway weekend!!

mackmama
02-19-2013, 11:01 PM
We have not been and have no plans/desires to go on parent-only trips.

sste
02-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Yes, I do 1 long weekend type girls trip per year. It is wonderful fun!

DH and I 1-2 overnights in a b&b or similar each year - - it is almost always just a one night stay each time as ILs are getting older and our kids tire them out.

I am planning in the next three years a trip for just DH and I to Italy or Kaui. I am torn on that because I want to show the kids those places but DH and I really need some time for our relationship too, it has def. suffered since we became parents.

citymama
02-19-2013, 11:26 PM
I've never had a gf only vacation - not since I met DH, anyway. Definitely not post kids. In fact it's rare for me to even get a girls night out - I've had a handful of gf evenings since having kids.

Parents only vacation - none since our first babymoon before DD1 was born. Not even one night away.

I only selected the first poll choice as I didn't realize it was multiple choice till after I voted.

niccig
02-19-2013, 11:28 PM
DH and I have gone away 3 times and MIL has had DS. She actually calls us to schedule it.

I've gone away once for a conference. I would like to go see my sister now that she lives in Chicago, but I dont think we can manage it this year - between airfares and then babysitter, it would add up and we already have 2 trips to see other family this year. Maybe next year we can do it.

KpbS
02-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Every 2-3 yrs. I go away for a couple of nights with a girlfriend. DH is totally willing to have it be an annual trip but something always seems to come up like last year my sister got the flu 2 days before we were to leave. :(

DH goes on 1-2 trips per year with his brothers/friends mostly to big sporting events or hiking.

We haven't been away together in 3 years. I wanted to go last month but we couldn't figure out the child care. It's definitely trickier now we have 3 vs. 2 DC.