PDA

View Full Version : Crying Actual Tears

psimpson3-5
02-19-2013, 11:57 AM
When did your DC start crying and produce actual tears? Is it odd that DS hasn't yet? I asked his ped yesterday during a sick visit. The ped seemed stumped and said "I'll look in to that." Which led me to believe it's abnormal. DH has block tear ducts, but he didn't explain it well. He said that an ophthalmologist told him that his tears don't fall on his face, but go back in to his eyes....? This doesn't make much sense to me.

buddyleebaby
02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
I don't really remember when she started, maybe a month or so? DD is two months old and cries real tears.

DS had a blocked tear duct but it meant that his one eye watered all the time, for a few months when he was a baby.

megs4413
02-19-2013, 12:11 PM
yes, it's unusual at this point. my DD had a blocked duct, but we used compresses to help out and it went away (it was only on one side which made it obvious). I think most babies are crying tears by 6 weeks or so.

eagle
02-19-2013, 03:00 PM
my son, i guess, is unusual. he cried tears from day ONE. first day he squeezed his eyes shut and tears jumped out.

yes, i read that tears usually come within a month or two after birth, though.

i think by now your ds should have cried tears.

psimpson3-5
02-19-2013, 05:35 PM
I had a feeling something was odd. Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'll have to find out more at his next appt mid-April.

Chitowngirl
02-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Perhaps its very variable. My DS is 4 months and has yet to shed a tear when he cries.

Liziz
02-19-2013, 11:09 PM
huh....my DD didn't cry real tears until maybe a couple months ago (she's 1 today) -- definitely not at 1-2 months. I never thought about it or realized it was uncommon. Then again, she's had problems w/ on and off blocked ducts since very early. But pedi said that blocked ducts are very typical in babies and they don't worry at all about them until around 1 year, as most resolve by then on their own. Now that I think about it, I'd say that her last problem w/ blocked ducts was probably a couple months ago too....right around the time I recall her starting to cry real tears.