PDA

View Full Version : When did your DC use the regular toilet without the little seat?

ExcitedMamma
02-19-2013, 02:29 PM
DS has been PT for almost a year now. A few months in DH took away the little stand alone potty and ever since DS has used the regular toilet with a potty seat insert. DS rarely stands to pee. When he sits he's awful at pointing down and his penis touches the little potty seat insert and he hates when he sprays. When he poops he sits so far forward that the poop isn't in the water when we flush, sooo gross. DH wants to take away the insert and have him just use the regular toilet but DS doesn't like that and I worry about him not being comfortable to poop. But DS didn't want to lose his stand alone potty before DH took it away so I'm not sure what to do. Is it time for him to just use the regular toilet?

pastrygirl
02-19-2013, 02:37 PM
My 6.5yo has sensory issues, so I just took it away a couple of months ago. My 3yo has never needed it, oddly enough! Which is what convinced me to finally take it away, plus he doesn't get to use one at school. However, he still always feels like he's going to fall in. He sits far forward, too, which was SUPER GROSS when he had diarrhea a few weeks ago. I will never, ever assume that blotches or splatters on the wall are from food-dirty-fingers anymore.

123LuckyMom
02-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Little boys are just messy on the potty! (Little girls may be, too, but I only have experience with little boys.) My DS used the insert at home, but he's only ever used the regular toilet at school-- so from age 3.5. At home he only uses the toilet now. He used the insert for a few months, though, until he was almost 4, maybe.

He far prefers to stand to pee. He CAN be very tidy, but he can also not pay attention and pee all over the wall, the toilet, and the floor! Ewwww! I make him clean it up (and then I do the "finishing touches"). He's much tidier when he sits. I just taught him the "If you sprinkle..." rhyme, which he likes, so let's hope for a cleaner future.

If I were you, I would take away the insert. I'm sure your DS can handle it.

KrisM
02-19-2013, 04:04 PM
We never had one. We do have a stool that is used for feet and they've always been stable with that and their hands.

brittone2
02-19-2013, 04:32 PM
DS1 used the little potty (freestanding type) for a while, then switched to the larger toilet. DD went mostly on the regular toilet and used a ring for the first few months. DS2 spent a few weeks using the little potty and then moved to the regular toilet. I do have a stool in there to support their feet, as I do think that's one advantage to the smaller potties...having their feet supported can be helpful for kids prone to constipation. I've had two kids like that, so I try to stack the deck by having their feet supported.

DS2 poops and then scoots forward when he's done, sometimes leaving skiddies, so then I have to wipe down the toilet. He's trying to wipe himself, which is a blessing and a curse ;) All part of the learning curve, I guess.

BabbyO
02-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Stachio went from free standing little potty to the regular one. We tried a little seat one or two times and he hated it. So we just turned him backwards on the regular potty. After a little while he just naturally started sitting facing forward. He still sits because our toilet is too tall for him to stand. He's about 3.5 yo now and he always sits forward on the big potty. He saw his small one in the basement a few weeks ago and asked to bring it back up stairs, but we said no. Frankly, it just takes too much space in our narrow bathroom.

Mommy_Mea
02-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Ds1 never really used the little potty, and we never bought the insert for the big toilet. We use a stool to stand on when peeing (he stands to pee) and for his feet when he sits to poop. I hate to tell you, but the poop still sticks to the front of the bowl with him sitting on the regular seat :-)