PDA

View Full Version : Crib mattress for toddler bed?

ecdyses
02-19-2013, 04:41 PM
DS is in a toddler bed with a Naturepedic mattress that was originally used in his crib. We have a new baby coming and need a second mattress for the crib since DS will be in his toddler bed for at least another year.

Rather than buying a new bed for the crib, I was thinking I should move the Naturepedic mattess back to the crib and buy DS a new mattress. Since he is 2 years 7 months I was wondering if there is a slightly cushier mattress that could work for him? He sleeps with pillows and blankets and I don't have concerns about putting him on a slightly softer surface. Is there a more toddler appropriate crib size mattress out there? Preferably organic or low chemical?

Or should I just buy another one of the mattress we have?

newg
02-19-2013, 11:05 PM
we just bought a second (of the same) mattress...I don't think they really make "toddler" mattresses for crib beds since most start at a crib for a baby where the mattress is suppose to be firm.
I did just buy a mattress topper for DD1's mattress from Ikea and she really likes it. It gives just a little bit more cushion, almost like a pillow topper!

BabbyO
02-20-2013, 12:33 PM
We got a free hand-me-down mattress for when Peanut was born. Since Stachio's mattress was better in the crib (tighter fit - smaller gaps) I moved his mattress back to the crib and used the softer hand-me-down for him in his toddler bed. I know it was still a crib mattress though. I couldn't tell you the brand...I'm certain it wasn't organic...and was probably from Walmart or Target.

I don't worry about things being too cushy for my kiddos...they will elect to sleep on the hardword floors about 1/2 the time....