PDA

View Full Version : Awesome vegetarian chili

infomama
02-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Made this last night with a few mods and it was amazing. My meat/potatoes DH raved about it. With recipes like this, stepping away from eating so much meat is easy!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/vegetarian-chili-recipe/index.html

My mods...
I used about a tsp of oil. I don't think it's even needed though.
I used 2 seeded Serrano peppers
I used canned corn (summer crisp, my fav)
I used a little less cayenne
I didn't bother peeling the tomatoes, I used Roma.
I used parsley instead of cilantro because I had it on hand
Skipped the rice and sour cream.
Instead if making a batch of his essence I added some smoked paprika, garlic powder, oregano and thyme at the end. This really brings the chili to a new level....before I added these I wasn't sure I loved it but after....SO delicious!

Twoboos
02-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Thanks for posting, I'm always looking for a good veg chili!

elbenn
02-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Looks really good. Thanks for sharing!

infomama
03-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Just want to bump this back up as I've made it about four times now and it never disappoints. The last batch I made I left out the cayenne and Serrano pepper so dds would eat it and they loved it. I really encourage everyone to make this. It's healthy and delicious!

JanBaby
03-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Infomama - thanks! I'm looking for something new to make this week. How does it reheat? I would make it Sunday and eat it on Tuesday.

infomama
03-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Infomama - thanks! I'm looking for something new to make this week. How does it reheat? I would make it Sunday and eat it on Tuesday.

it gets better everyday I think. I keep it in Ball jars in the fridge until I'm ready to heat it in bowls in the micro. if you want to get really fancy put a really small amount of a smokey cheese like cheddar or mozz on top. it's in the last 10 minutes or so of cooking that you have to taste it and manipulate your spices. I find that the smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and thyme are so important.

elbenn
03-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Thanks for bumping this thread. I printed out the recipe, and now I plan on making it soon!