PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk Valium

BabbyO
02-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Ok, so to make a long story short, I was put on Valium Sat - Tue to help relieve severe tense muscles that were putting pressure on a nerve in my neck. I was also told to take 600 mg of ibuprofen. The doc gave me a 2 day excuse from work because I can't drive while on Valium and I have an hour commute. Plus...typing probably would only exacerbate the situation.

I took my last dose of valium at 11:30 pm last night. It was 5 mg and I was to take them every 6 hrs. My last dose was a few hours late because I fell asleep, but still more than 6 hours before I left for work.

Anyway, I'm at work today and I feel totally stoned and really tired. Is this normal? Does valium build up in your system leaving you with the effects for some time after taking it? My doc said I was cleared to come back to work today....but I can't believe how I feel. Or am I just used to sleeping mid day already because the valium knocked me out (kinda the point).

KDsMommy
02-20-2013, 01:13 PM
I don't take Valium, but I am prescribed Xanax in both 0.25mg and 1mg doses. If I really need it I take 1 or 2 0.25mg during the day and 1mg at night. If I take 1mg during the day I totally feel the way you're describing. It makes me feel stoned and in a haze. I know nothing about how Valium builds up in your body, but I know if I took 1mg of Xanax 6 hours ago, I'd still be feeling it.

I hope you feel better soon.

BabbyO
02-20-2013, 01:20 PM
I don't take Valium, but I am prescribed Xanax in both 0.25mg and 1mg doses. If I really need it I take 1 or 2 0.25mg during the day and 1mg at night. If I take 1mg during the day I totally feel the way you're describing. It makes me feel stoned and in a haze. I know nothing about how Valium builds up in your body, but I know if I took 1mg of Xanax 6 hours ago, I'd still be feeling it.

I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks...I'm a little concerned because it is almost 12 hours ago now since my last dose....but I'm still a little loopy and wobbly. It has made for an interesting day at work though! :)

ETA: I was on a 5 mg dose. Middle of the road according to the doc. There are also 2.5 mg and 10 mg doses.

lovin2shop
02-20-2013, 01:33 PM
No words of advice on Valium, but I was prescribed Klonopin for a very similar (and maybe the same) issue. My Dr. said it was potentially for long term use. I took it for about 60 days before bed and it really did help quite a bit. I have neck muscle / nerve issues that were causing chronic headaches and sleep disruption. I discontinued the Klonopin because I was concerned about dependence and physical therapy was starting to improve my condition. It did not leave me groggy, I actually woke up refreshed. I was extremely sleep deprived at the time. My symptoms are now manageable, but I don't think I would have gotten there without the combo of PT and the medication.

almostmom
02-20-2013, 02:35 PM
I've taken valium before various dental procedures, and while it really made me loopy under its influence, I don't remember it have lasting affects. That said, I only took one dose, not multiple doses over multiple days.

amatahrain
02-20-2013, 02:41 PM
I have taken it and never felt like that so long after taking it. I'm sure you know this but please wait until the full effects have worn off before you drive or get a ride. I'd hate for you to get in an accident or get pulled over :) Also maybe try cutting the pill in half next time. Are you taking any other medication that could have interfered with the Valium?

marymoo86
02-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Valium did nothing for me for nerve related pain in my back. Just made me loopy.

However each person's body chemistry is different so you may feel effects others do not.

BabbyO
02-20-2013, 04:38 PM
I have taken it and never felt like that so long after taking it. I'm sure you know this but please wait until the full effects have worn off before you drive or get a ride. I'd hate for you to get in an accident or get pulled over :) Also maybe try cutting the pill in half next time. Are you taking any other medication that could have interfered with the Valium?

This is the super weird part to me. I took 3 doses/day for 4 days. My last dose was 14 hr ago. I won't be taking any more. I took 600 mg of ibuprofen with the valium as prescribed by my doc.

I woke up this morning and felt pretty much ok. My back/neck are a bit sore, but I'm attributing that to falling down the last 3 stairs of the basement stairs last night (accident prone much??). So I took more ibuprofen this am and used a heated rice sock on my neck and back to prevent the muscles from getting super tense again. I did NOT feel ANY effects from the valium when I drove to work.

I swear as the day has gone on I've felt loopier and loopier. I just hope that that changes in the next 2 hours, cause this is weird!!! and totally unexpected.

ETA: I have taken NO other medication. I haven't even eaten or had anything weird to drink. Water, a sandwich, baby carrots and almonds.