PDA

View Full Version : Ovulation Pain or Appendicitis?

anonomom
02-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Ok, I know I sound like an idiot here but I have really bad, shooting pain today on the right side of my abdomen, towards my back and about level with my belly button. I tend to have bad ovulation pains and the timing is right for that, but this is worse than any ovulation pain I've had before. It's actually stopped me in my tracks a few times today. I'm starting to get paranoid that there's something more serious going on.

I've consulted Dr. Google and I don't have any other appendicitis symptoms, but again this seems extreme for just ovulation pain. Can someone with experience with appendicitis help me at least decide whether the pain is in the "right" place for it?

MSWR0319
02-20-2013, 03:42 PM
I had pain like that and it was an ovarian cyst. I was seriously walking in to the dr bent over it was so bad. I also get pain like that sometimes when I'm constipated or have stomach issues going on. They actually had to do a CT scan because they couldn't figure out if it was a cyst, kidney issue, or appendix.

Blue Hydrangea
02-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Do you have a fever or any other symptoms that would lead you to believe it is appendicitis?

I've heard that if you stand up and jump, if you have appendicitis you'll drop to ground.

In any event, pain that's severe enough to stop you in your tracks probably calls for a trip to the dr.

willow33
02-20-2013, 03:47 PM
If you are really worried I would call your doctor. I had pain in the same area and it turned out to be kidney stones. Is it getting worse as the day goes on?

anonomom
02-20-2013, 03:56 PM
It's been there all day, with waves of getting worse and subsiding. Very much on track with my monthly ovulation hurt-o-ganza, just more painful than usual.

Just jumped up and down and nothing bad happened, so that's good.

I really need to find a doctor. The practice that delivered DS is 40 minutes away and I haven't gotten around to finding a new Gyn/Primary care doc. :bag

mikala
02-20-2013, 04:28 PM
I've heard that if you stand up and jump, if you have appendicitis you'll drop to ground.

I've read this too but learned the hard way that it isn't always true. It's definitely possible to have appendicitis and "fail" this test. :nodno:

I'd get it checked out.

citymama
02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
I talked to a doc friend about this and she gave me a pretty good home test - does the area feel better or worse with pressure? If it's relieved with pressure, likely not appendicitis. If it's worse, you should call a doctor. But you should probably call your doctor anyway.

KDsMommy
02-20-2013, 05:24 PM
I've had ovarian cysts multiple times and this is how I felt. Twice I was hospitalized so they could figure out the cause of the pain.

I hipe you feel better soon.

ChristinaLucia
02-20-2013, 05:30 PM
I've had this and it was ovarian cysts. I deeply regret the CT to rule out Appendicitis.

jerseygirl07067
02-20-2013, 05:53 PM
You could be passing a kidney stone. I had pain like that but on my left side and thought it was on ovarian cyst. The pain got so bad I had to go to the emergency room, and I wound up having kidney stones. The pain will stop once the stone reaches your bladder, as long as it is small enough to pass

mackmama
02-20-2013, 05:55 PM
If you push on the area and then release it quickly - does the pain hurt more or less upon the release? I've heard appendicitis hurts more upon release (rather than hurting more when pushing).

KDsMommy
02-20-2013, 06:00 PM
If you push on the area and then release it quickly - does the pain hurt more or less upon the release? I've heard appendicitis hurts more upon release (rather than hurting more when pushing).

:yeahthat: This is what I've heard too.

larig
02-20-2013, 06:01 PM
I talked to a doc friend about this and she gave me a pretty good home test - does the area feel better or worse with pressure? If it's relieved with pressure, likely not appendicitis. If it's worse, you should call a doctor. But you should probably call your doctor anyway.

:yeahthat: This is exactly what they told my mom when she had one this fall.

happymom
02-20-2013, 09:13 PM
I had pain that started out that way when I had an ectopic pregnancy (it got a LOT worse later on), but I'm assuming this coudn't be the case with you? Just throwing it out there...

Hope you feel better soon!

Seitvonzu
02-20-2013, 09:34 PM
when i had appendicitis (actually, i've had it multiple times...it's possible to "recover") it felt like EXTREME gas pain. it was three months after i had my baby and honestly, i thought the appendicitis was worse. i went to urgent care and the doctor basically did the push/release test and determined that i needed to go in an ambulance to the hospital (which was literally across teh street) i then sat in the ER for 5 hours waiting for a scan.( i have a high pain tolerance and wasn't complaining ) after the scan i was in the operating room w/i 45 minutes (and that's just because i wanted to breastfeed a final time before they drugged me)

appendicitis is weird. i'd call, can't hurt to have it checked out. you won't necessarily have your appendix burst, even if it's appendicitis...but if it is, it could be reoccuring and you really need to have your appendix out. (now i'm thinking about it and wonder if i ever thought my appendix was ovulation pain... hrm....)

theriviera
02-20-2013, 09:55 PM
I had pain that started out that way when I had an ectopic pregnancy (it got a LOT worse later on), but I'm assuming this coudn't be the case with you? Just throwing it out there...

Hope you feel better soon!

The same thing happened to my sister.

I hope that this is just ovulation pain and that you feel better soon!

anonomom
02-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. The pain dissipated after I took some advil, and it hasn't come back as bad. Still there, but much duller. Pushing my side doesn't seem to have any effect.

I have had an ectopic pregnancy before, but no longer have any fallopian tubes, so I can rule it out this time. :-)

ShanaMama
02-20-2013, 11:43 PM
I frequently get ovulation pain that bad. I claim I can feel the moment of ovulation because the pain is so intense. One side is worse than the other.

zukeypur
02-20-2013, 11:48 PM
I thought I had extreme gas pain once. I was so bad and lasted more than 1 day so I went in to see my Dr. She was booking an OR for me because she thought I had appendicitis, but sent me for an ultrasound first to be sure. It turns out that it was an ovarian cyst. It ruptured later that night, but no surgery needed. It was an AWFUL pain though. Glad yours has eased up.