PDA

View Full Version : how much did you pay for your dog?

AnnieW625
02-20-2013, 04:04 PM
We paid just about $100 to adopt her from the local county animal shelter. This included having her chipped, and her initial shots.

DualvansMommy
02-20-2013, 04:24 PM
We paid 700 bucks for both of my boxers; 350 each towards the rescue organization they were adopted out. It included current shots for the year, 3 year rabies shot and a month supply of food along with water bowl.

maestramommy
02-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Shep's adoption fee was $365. That was with all his shots, first worming, heartworm and flea/tick, and neuter.

StantonHyde
02-20-2013, 04:25 PM
When I adopted my Golden Retriever 14 years ago, he was $100. Our new dog--the family just handed him over. And he even has papers!

Pennylane
02-20-2013, 04:35 PM
We paid $350 for our boxer, which only included first shots. The shelter I volunteer with normally charges $75 for adoptions which includes spay/neuter, microchip, first shots, and heart worm.

Ann

KLD313
02-20-2013, 04:47 PM
I paid $750 for my Akita 8 years ago. My 10 year old Bulldog was $2,000 and my six year old Bulldog was $3,000!

twowhat?
02-20-2013, 04:52 PM
$125 was the adoption fee for each of our dogs from a local, family-run no-kill rescue organization. When we adopted our first dog, we gave them $200 (so basically a $75 donation). When we adopted our second dog, we gave them $300 (so a $175 donation). They came up neutered, up-to-date on vaccinations, and health problems taken care of (second dog had heartworms).

The breed-specific rescues in our area have much higher adoption fees ($400-$1000). And of course the city shelters have much lower adoption fees (on the order of $50-$80).

MamaInMarch
02-20-2013, 04:54 PM
My female was free. The Schwanns man had seen her being mistreated and asked if he could take her so they gave her to him. I knew his wife and she knew I was looking for an adult female Chihuahua so she passed her on. She's never cost me much beyond basic pet care (vax, microchip, food, etc) except once a cat scratched her eye and I needed $20 in drops. Pretty sure she's the cheapest dog on the planet. ;)

My male was $100, half dead in a local pet store. I had gone in for emergency fish treatment and couldnt leave him there. I had been in there months before and saw a litter of chi pups that were on display for $800. He was the last one and she knew she was going to lose her money on him so she "let" me have him. I spent $600 the next day at the emergency animal hospital and another $400 3 days later at the regular vet.

arivecchi
02-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Our adoption fee was pretty high because the rescue does gastropexies for all dogs it rescues in addition to neutering/spaying, shots, heartworm/frontline, microchip, etc. Plus I think they do that to make sure the adopters are prepared for the high costs of giant breed dogs.

We plan to get our next dane from a reputable breeder and that will be way more.

trcy
02-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Adoption fee was about $30. That included spay, vax & microchip.

MamaInMarch
02-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Our adoption fee was pretty high because the rescue does gastropexies for all dogs it rescues in addition to neutering/spaying, shots, heartworm/frontline, microchip, etc. Plus I think they do that to make sure the adopters are prepared for the high costs of giant breed dogs.

We plan to get our next dane from a reputable breeder and that will be way more.

Interesting! I had no idea they could do this. I assume this is to prevent bloat?

SASM
02-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Our Standard Poodle was $500 with papers 3 yrs ago.

Nicsmom
02-20-2013, 05:39 PM
$120 to the rescue organization. This includes spaying/neutering, microchipped, and rabies shot.

arivecchi
02-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Interesting! I had no idea they could do this. I assume this is to prevent bloat? Yes. Great danes are very much at risk for bloat.

rlu
02-20-2013, 06:22 PM
BBD and LGD were siblings whose mother was owned by DH's co-worker. She gave them to us free since she would be able to see them often (we visited) and keep them together. The pups had had vet care up to when we brought them home at 12 weeks but we still had puppy shots, spay/neuter etc. LGD had emergency surgery as part of her spay so we called her our $1k pup.

When we get another dog DH is hoping it will fall in our lap like the other two did but I am less optimistic and more impatient (we've been waiting for the fall-in-lap variety for a year). I expect to pay anywhere between $100 and $500 depending on breed, shots, etc. DH wants a puppy which drives the price up. I asked our vet for a quote for puppy shots, spay/neuter and those types of puppy expenses and it came to $400-$600 for a medium-sized male so that I keep that in mind when looking at adoption fees.

Pennylane
02-20-2013, 07:03 PM
I paid $750 for my Akita 8 years ago. My 10 year old Bulldog was $2,000 and my six year old Bulldog was $3,000!

Wow, That is a lot! I hadn't idea that dogs could even cost that much.

Ann

hellokitty
02-20-2013, 07:07 PM
I adopted our dorkie from the dog warden. Usually adoptions are $125 (include microchip and basic shots, plus a voucher for $20 discount of spay/neuter with your vet), but since he was considered a designer breed (yorkie/doxie), they put the dogs that they know for sure ppl will adopt up for $210. I didn't mind paying it. One of my biggest issues with trying to adopt a dog through a shelter was that there are not a lot of smaller breeds and some of them that they do have are NOT child friendly. So, I was really happy to be able to adopt a younger puppy who was friendly with my 3 yr old. I tried going through rescue, and while I think that the ppl who do the rescue are very passionate, some of them are nutso and the hoop jumping is crazy. They want to visit your house and be able to drop in again whenever they want to check in, etc.. Sorry, but that is just a little bit too invasive to me.

KLD313
02-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Wow, That is a lot! I hadn't idea that dogs could even cost that much.

Ann

Bulldogs are expensive, partly because they're delivered by c-section so that adds to the cost. I never would have gotten the second bulldog but my one ex-husband bought her and just brought her home. I couldn't send her back and now he's long gone and she's still here. :). I would get another Akita but I will never own anymore bulldogs.

AngelaS
02-20-2013, 07:29 PM
$800 and worth every penny. :)

MelissaTC
02-20-2013, 08:22 PM
My Finkie was free. My mutt was $75 and we got money back after she was spayed.

Pennylane
02-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Bulldogs are expensive, partly because they're delivered by c-section so that adds to the cost. I never would have gotten the second bulldog but my one ex-husband bought her and just brought her home. I couldn't send her back and now he's long gone and she's still here. :). I would get another Akita but I will never own anymore bulldogs.

I had no idea about the bulldogs. I hope my comment didn't come across as rude. I just really had no idea that dogs were that expensive. I love bulldogs though and we had considered adding one to our family but ended up with kittens instead.

Ann

KLD313
02-20-2013, 08:50 PM
I had no idea about the bulldogs. I hope my comment didn't come across as rude. I just really had no idea that dogs were that expensive. I love bulldogs though and we had considered adding one to our family but ended up with kittens instead.

Ann

No, not rude at all. It's crazy expensive and they're super expensive to own and can be kind of gross dogs. They're sweet as can be and I love them but they're definitey not for everyone.

khalloc
02-20-2013, 09:10 PM
$850 to a reputable breeder for my Labrador retriever 11 years ago

carolinamama
02-20-2013, 09:45 PM
I answered for our current mutt. He was being fostered by an animal hospital who took him in as a stray because they thought he was such a nice dog. They completely vetted/neutered him and he even came to us with a care package full of food, treats, collar, leash, and toys. Great experience and all our future dogs will come from a similar route.

BunnyBee
02-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Adoption fees were $200 (not purebred) and $400 (purebred) from a breed rescue organization. That included vetting, shots, spaying, microchips.

Clarity
02-21-2013, 12:20 AM
$50 for our pound puppy :love-retry:
$200 for our rescue :heartbeat:

TwinFoxes
02-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Wow, my mutt was $200 to the rescue! It's a great organization, so i didn't mind. My AKC Boxer was $750 to a reputable breeder. He's the best dog in the world, I love him very much.

kdeunc
02-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Interesting! I had no idea they could do this. I assume this is to prevent bloat?

Our previous German Shepherd had this done after he bloated and luckily survived. The procedure keeps them from twisting but there is still a chance that they will "bloat".

arivecchi
02-21-2013, 11:17 AM
The procedure keeps them from twisting but there is still a chance that they will "bloat".:yeahthat: It buys you more time. It is so common with danes that I have been advised to keep gas x and pepcid at home.

The rescue that I got my dog from charges anywhere from $600-$1000 for their rescues. They do go above and beyond though with these dogs, so I did not mind helping such a worthy operation. A great dane from a reputable breeder would probably run between $2-3k.

marymoo86
02-21-2013, 12:21 PM
The best dog I have had the privilege of owning was a beagle mix that showed up in my mom's neighborhood. No one would claim him and we took him home with us. So he was free. Lived 18 years and was just the most loyal companion. It was like he knew he was rescued and hit the jackpot.

We do not have any breed specific needs thankfully. My dad would raise and train hunting dogs that would go for $$$ so I completely understand why certain breeds cost a great deal.

Next dog will be a rescue as well. Too many good companions to be had from the pound or rescues.

pb&j
02-21-2013, 02:51 PM
I voted 101-500, but she was on the low end of that - $125. She was spayed, up to date on vaxes, etc. She came from a rescue, and if I get any more dogs in the future, I'll go the rescue/shelter route again.

rin
02-21-2013, 02:58 PM
I can't remember the exact number, it was almost 7 years ago, but we paid around $130 or so to the shelter (which was an urban high-kill city shelter). That covered the spay fee and a couple of vaccinations. She was around a year when we got her, and is a mutt of who-knows-what origins.