PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Dish a Hit with My Kids

sste
02-20-2013, 05:50 PM
My kids turned on salmon a few months ago much to my dismay! However, this preparation was a big hit with them this week. I only used 1/4 cup of brown sugar or less but I imagine it would be great too with more (I am convinced we are all pre-diabetic so we limit). And easy to make, very easy!

http://www.food.com/recipe/karens-kid-friendly-salmon-166059

athompson
03-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Planning to try this soon. Thanks:)

georgiegirl
03-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Here's the salmon recipe I use, and everyone loves it. It seems similar (but with less sugar) to your recipe. I usually bake it for 12-15 minutes instead of grilling it.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-salmon-i/

arivecchi
03-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Oh awesome! DS1 requested "fish" for dinner a couple of weeks ago and much to my shock he LOVED salmon (this is a kid who is a fan of mac n cheese and cheeseburgers)! This recipe sounds way yummier than the old one so will definitely try this one next!

TwinFoxes
03-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the idea, I bought salmon today, and was trying to figure out how to cook it to get the girls to at least try it. :)

elbenn
03-08-2013, 05:40 PM
I usually marinade salmon in a soy sauce, maple syrup, and orange juice mixture (it's a weelicious recipe). This sounds really good, too!

sste
03-10-2013, 01:22 AM
Elbenn, we have done maple syrup and soy for years too! Though we never tried the OJ, will have to try that. What I found is that the brown sugar stays put better than the maple syrup - - though the maple syrup feels healthier to me. Anyway, when I made it with the brown sugar I just sprinkled a little on top -- I think it was 2-3 tablespoons full, def. substantially less than the recipe. At this point of Kiddie Salmon Withdrawal I just decided the brown sugar was the lesser of the two evils so to speak -- better for them to get a good serving of salmon in. I did also add a little minced (garlic press) garlic one time, which was good at well. I think a little grated ginger would also work well.

Oh per cooks illustrated I start the oven hot at 450-500, preheat it, put the salmon in and immediately turn it down to the 300s (or whatever the recipe I am working with says).

I felt silly posting it here it is so simple. It is like a non-recipe! But it has been lifesaving for us for weekday nights.