PDA

View Full Version : Update post 88 Allergies...trying to be sympathetic, but, this is a little much!

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 06:23 PM
I really try to be sympathetic to food allergies, but, literally it seems every kid has some type of allergy and where do you draw the line.

DS1 had a note sent home today to please not send any more goldfish or cheez its to school in his lunch box because a child in his class is allergic! I never sent them in to share..they are just in my sons lunch box.

I totally get the nut allergy and even though my son loves peanut butter I understand why it's not allowed at schools. It is oily and can leave a residue, that won't wash off easily. But crackers! I don't get this one. My son is a self chosen vegetarian (everyone else eats meat here!) It doesn't leave us tons of choices. I know kids with allergies to apples, dairy etc...Next they will tell me no applesauce and no yogurt which my son takes to school.

My son is somewhat allergic to red dye...but it is more behavioral ramifications and not life or death. I don't mind if he is around it and he knows not to eat it or only a tiny bit...Like if it's in frosting etc...He just can't eat a bag a skittles for instance.

I am sure the mom's of very allergic kids will not like that I am posting this, but, I really feel like almost every food out there is an offender to someone so what is a parent to do?

Has any one had to deal with this....I would like to hear from both sides...I feel like if I got a list of all the allergies kids were allergic to the only thing that would be safe would be water! I don't want to appear difficult and really would like to accomodate other kids. Maybe schools should have allergy free meals they provide for everyone so no one is in this position! I don't want to be the person that sent something to school that makes another child sick! I would feel awful. That's why with valentines I send stickers, etc...even though DS2's school doesn't care what we send. DS1's school is a smaller group so for valentines it was hotwheels cars, stickers, and dye free fruit snacks..I asked first about the fruit snack though. I am just a little miffed because DS1 has come home with things I think are worse than crakers, and now crackers are a big deal. I hope this comes across correctly!

AnnieW625
02-20-2013, 06:30 PM
That would be irritating, and I'd be on the phone with the teacher telling her that is insane and or at least wanting to know what the allergy is.

My DD1 rarely eats meat as well, but thankfully since she started kindergarten she is eating a bit more lunch meats, but yeah I totally get needing non meat alternatives, and it was one big concern I had when she started school last year. Thankfully there have been no allergic kids in her class so we got off easy, but it was definitely a thought that crossed my mind.

My DD1 sometimes gets a little hyper after eating foods with red dye in them as well, but I would never once tell a classmate not to bring something that has red dye in it. If she was on Feingold for ADD/ADHD or what not then I might tell her that she needs to avoid all food dyes, but I would not tell the class that they can't bring anything in with food dyes. I would send a special snack for her to have on that day.

Cheese crackers though that sounds a bit rediculous IMHO.

scrooks
02-20-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm curious to what the allergy is...is it a wheat/gluten thing or a dairy thing? Because maybe you could send a different type of cracker....like pretzel goldfish or something. I would probably inquire to what the allergy is....

MamaMolly
02-20-2013, 06:37 PM
I really try to be sympathetic to food allergies.....snip....

....snip,,,,..but it is more behavioral ramifications and not life or death...snip....

...snip.... so what is a parent to do?

Try harder. It just might be life or death to that other child.

crl
02-20-2013, 06:38 PM
I think it is entirely reasonable to ask what the allergy is. I am having a hard time figuring out what would require a ban on just goldfish?

Catherine

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 06:40 PM
I am glad it sounds ridiculous, because I was feeling bad about it! Maybe someone on here will tell me about this allergy and why it is so offensive. I looked at both packages and saw paprika listed but have never heard of a paprika allergy. I then googled cheez it/ gold fish allergy and came up with an ingredient that is called annato. It is a natural food coloring from a tree. I will read more later since now I am curious, but, I guess if you are allergic to nuts you could possibly be allergic to this natural food coloring. How funny I guess it would be better to send crackers with artificial dyes instead?!?

crl
02-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Try harder. It just might be life or death to that other child.

I generally agree with this. I am just wondering what the allergy is? My first thought was dairy because ds was allergic to milk and couldn't have those. (But his allergy was mild and nothing was banned from the classroom for him because it wasn't necessary.). But then the list would be a heck of a lot longer than just goldfish.

Catherine

crl
02-20-2013, 06:45 PM
How funny I guess it would be better to send crackers with artificial dyes instead?!?

Well, ds is allergic to apples. So he can eat the high fructose corn syrup Popsicles but not most of the "better" ones because they mostly have apple juice as a sweetener. If you think that is annoying, think how annoying it is for me to have to always have crappy ones and to have to always read the labels on Popsicles and juice boxes and the like and to usually have to disappoint ds by telling him he can't have the treat someone else has brought in. Sigh.

Catherine

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 06:45 PM
I'm curious to what the allergy is...is it a wheat/gluten thing or a dairy thing? Because maybe you could send a different type of cracker....like pretzel goldfish or something. I would probably inquire to what the allergy is....

I will ask tomorrow. Unfortunately DS1 is ultra picky and doesn't like pretzels!!! I have 2 kiddos with high functioning autism. DS1 one is picky and DS2 eats everything...including things that are more "adult" tastes.

I don't understand since I wouldn't think it would be dangerous like peanut butter and this other child isn't eating from my sons lunchbox!

Green_Tea
02-20-2013, 06:48 PM
I can understand that it's frustrating to not be able to send something your son enjoys, but would hold off on being miffed until you know more.

crl
02-20-2013, 06:51 PM
I will ask tomorrow. Unfortunately DS1 is ultra picky and doesn't like pretzels!!! I have 2 kiddos with high functioning autism. DS1 one is picky and DS2 eats everything...including things that are more "adult" tastes.

I don't understand since I wouldn't think it would be dangerous like peanut butter and this other child isn't eating from my sons lunchbox!

Well, ds had an egg alleric kid in his preschool room. The boy also had a serious heart condition and so the mom did not supply the school with an epi. He had an anaphylactic reaction to egg in someone else's lunch box and was taken to the ER by ambulance. He could have died.

There had not been a ban on egg, but after that incident they did ban egg in the classroom. Ds was there as a special education student and rather picky. Nuts were already banned for a different student. And ds could not have milk, apple, strawberry or mango. I still managed to send in his snack and lunch every day.

Catherine

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 06:58 PM
I can understand that it's frustrating to not be able to send something your son enjoys, but would hold off on being miffed until you know more.

I am sorry about the miffed comment..but, prior to this about 1-2 weeks ago I asked about things for valentines and they said they don't have any food restrictions except nuts. Also, I think the teacher note could have been written better, first explaining the allergy and then asking not to send something instead of please stop sending this since someone has an allergy, like they have asked before or something. I had never heard anything about this today. Just clarifying!!! :)

Pennylane
02-20-2013, 07:01 PM

Agreed. I would ask the teacher before I get so upset about it.

Ann

AnnieW625
02-20-2013, 07:02 PM
I am glad it sounds ridiculous, because I was feeling bad about it! Maybe someone on here will tell me about this allergy and why it is so offensive. I looked at both packages and saw paprika listed but have never heard of a paprika allergy. I then googled cheez it/ gold fish allergy and came up with an ingredient that is called annato. It is a natural food coloring from a tree. I will read more later since now I am curious, but, I guess if you are allergic to nuts you could possibly be allergic to this natural food coloring. How funny I guess it would be better to send crackers with artificial dyes instead?!?

My first thoughts were dairy, and gluten, neither of which I would think could kill you (although I might be 200% wrong there), but it might give you horrible stomach pains or lots of gas or constipate you (case of gluten in many people), however if your child is diagnosed with a severe food allergy like peanuts, tree nuts, sesame seeds, shell fish, or anything that might cause an anaphylactic (sp?) shock then that is clearly much more understandable. I have seen those posters here get really defensive when anyone tries to ask what we (a non FA mom or dad) think is a normal question about a food that one child could potentially be allergic to.

Green_Tea
02-20-2013, 07:05 PM
I am sorry about the miffed comment..but, prior to this about 1-2 weeks ago I askeed about things for valentines and they said they don't have any food restrictions except nuts. Also, I think the teacher note could have been written better, first explaining the allergy and then asking not to send something instead of please stop sending this since someone has an allergy, like they have asked before or something. I had never heard anything about this today. Just clarifying!!! :)

Valentines are not typically consumed at school. Lunch box snacks are. It makes sense that there would be different rules about what can be sent. It could also be a recently discovered allergy, or one that was previously believed to be mild.

Globetrotter
02-20-2013, 07:09 PM
I would get more information first and then see if it's worth making a fuss over. ONce dd had a kid in class who was DEATHLY allergic to lima beans, of all things! For a mild, nuisance allergy, I would hope they wouldn't ban the food but I'm assuming it must be more serious or maybe the school is just being overly cautious, in which case they could adjust.

brittone2
02-20-2013, 07:10 PM
My first thoughts were dairy, and gluten, neither of which I would think could kill you (although I might be 200% wrong there), but it might give you horrible stomach pains or lots of gas or constipate you (case of gluten in many people), however if your child is diagnosed with a severe food allergy like peanuts, tree nuts, sesame seeds, shell fish, or anything that might cause an anaphylactic (sp?) shock then that is clearly much more understandable. I have seen those posters here get really defensive when anyone tries to ask what we (a non FA mom or dad) think is a normal question about a food that one child could potentially be allergic to.
People can definitely be anaphylactic to dairy, and I assume it is possible to be anaphylactic to wheat/gluten as well. I know several people who are anaphylactic with dairy; one attended my wedding. He was a guest of a friend, and he even has issues with anaphylaxis to trace dairy in certain chewing gums. That is different that lactose intolerance which sounds more like your description of things like gas, stomach pains, etc.

I would be curious about what the allergy actually is in the OP's child's school though.

rlu
02-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Comments helpful rather than derogatory are appreciated. I read OP to be expressing her frustration but she did not state she would continue sending the forbidden food or ask the allergic child to be moved or any of the more outrageous comments we've seen in the news. Reading through her posts I believe she is asking if anyone here might know the type of allergy it is so she can determine her alternatives. A blanket statement "no goldfish due to allergy" would have me frustrated and questioning alternatives as well.

eta: valentine candy/treats are consumed in our classrooms. We send tattoos (or tootsie rolls since I have been told by the FA moms in our class those are ok for their kids).

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 07:14 PM
I don't mind rules about what to bring, that's why I said I wouldn't want to be the one to make another child sick, but, with so many different allergies I think pretty much everything would offensive to some other child. I think it could be handled better. I just spoke to the teacher this morning and there was no mention of this. My son is gone a long time as he gets on the bus at 7:45 and gets home about 4:15. So if he was only in school for a half day it wouldn't really be a big deal.

scrooks
02-20-2013, 07:23 PM
I would get more information first and then see if it's worth making a fuss over. ONce dd had a kid in class who was DEATHLY allergic to lima beans, of all things! For a mild, nuisance allergy, I would hope they wouldn't ban the food but I'm assuming it must be more serious or maybe the school is just being overly cautious, in which case they could adjust.

:yeahthat: I agree with this. When things are life or death I completely agree that there should be a ban but there are definitely varying severities to food allergies and intolerances.

maestramommy
02-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Well, ds is allergic to apples. So he can eat the high fructose corn syrup Popsicles but not most of the "better" ones because they mostly have apple juice as a sweetener. If you think that is annoying, think how annoying it is for me to have to always have crappy ones and to have to always read the labels on Popsicles and juice boxes and the like and to usually have to disappoint ds by telling him he can't have the treat someone else has brought in. Sigh.

Catherine

I know kids who have the "beechnut" allergy which means they cannot eat a lot of fruits and veggies in their healthy form. But does that mean other kids can't bring those items to school?

o_mom
02-20-2013, 07:33 PM
There is obviously a lot of missing information here, both from the OP and the school. It is not clear what the allergy is ("goldfish and cheez-its" is obviously not the allergy), how old are the kids, do they eat lunch in the class, etc.

A child that is contact anaphylactic to milk in a preschool class where they eat in the room is a much different scenario than a 5th grader in a lunch room with a lactose intolerant classmate. There just isn't enough information here to decide if OP is overreacting or not.

squimp
02-20-2013, 07:42 PM
I am also curious what could be allergenic that is just in Cheerios and goldfish. I agree it is hard to draw the line and I get what you are saying.

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 07:48 PM

Catherine

I do understand! Some kids in my sons school/class earn goodies like skittles that my son can't eat, but, I am sure he isn't happy about it but he knows he should stay away from red dye. We found out about his dye sensitivity when he was a couple years younger and he ate a bag of them at school (not a snack size one) and then flipped out and went after the teacher and pulled some of her hair out. She was very shaken and we got a call from the school to come immediately! Then it dawned on me that sometimes he acted loopy from fruit snacks... a lot of brands have red dye. He is also allergic to amoxicillin which also has red dye. A lot of other countries have actually banned red dye from food. My brother lives in England and the candy there has no red dye. You would not believe how many things have red dye in them. I printed a list a couple years ago and was shocked. Things you would not expect. Vanilla/yellow cake batter!

zukeypur
02-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Wow, I'm curious as well. I think the note is warranted if the reaction is anaphylactic.

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 07:55 PM
DS1 is 7 and I know they eat lunch in a cafeteria, but, they may eat snacks in class. I am just confused since I was sending goldfish and they kept putting on his home note that he was eating cheez it's for snack so I asked him and he said he likes the cheez its better. The school was supplying those to him a few weeks ago and now it's banned. I am very worried since I don't understand this allergy and I definitely don't want to replace it with something just as offensive! All they stated on the note was to stop sending goldfish and cheez it's since someone was allergic. I have left a message for someone to call me to clarify since this could be a much more complicated allergy and I need to know what to send. I tend to send the same things pretty much since I know it's what he will eat so maybe those were the only offending items.

Mommy_Mea
02-20-2013, 07:55 PM
I am guessing that it is the annato coloring. My best friends sister was continuously breaking put in horrible hives and she finally was able to attribute it to annatto. Her hives were so bad that she couldn't sleep.

So if it causes hives, I am guessing it can cause even more severe allergic reactions.

sophiesmom03
02-20-2013, 07:57 PM
My neighbor's son has a dairy allergy (epi pen type) and no cheese yogurt or milk was allowed in his classroom. Life or death - most families dealt with it when put In those terms.

MSWR0319
02-20-2013, 08:10 PM
As a mother of a FA child with contact reactions, I would guess maybe its a milk allergy with contact reactions. Goldfish and Cheez it's both tend to stay on fingers which could get all over, resulting in the allergic child possibly touching it and reacting. Maybe its a new allergy and the parents arent really sure what to ask of the parents, so as something comes up it hits them that it could endanger their child.
My son's peanut allergy is so bad the kids have to wash their hands before coming in the classroom in the morning in case they had peanut butter. This was requested by my allergist. I think you just need clarification and can go from there. A lot of things play into it, as mentioned. When DS is older, some of the restrictions will be eased once he can handle himself better (he's only 4).

essnce629
02-20-2013, 08:22 PM
My first thoughts were dairy, and gluten, neither of which I would think could kill you (although I might be 200% wrong there)

You can definitely have an anaphylactic allergy to dairy. I used to nanny for a toddler who did. I used to carry an epipen with me whenever we went out of the house and no dairy was allowed in the house at all.

123LuckyMom
02-20-2013, 08:30 PM
I don't know whether goldfish and cheez its are made in a factory that also processes nuts. DS's school is nut free, which means there can be no food in the school that has nuts, but also that has nut oils or is produced or has any ingredients that are produced or processed in a factory that also processes nuts.

I know this can be irritating and seem a bit over the top, but really, it's not. If the child in your son's school has an anaphylactic allergy, that child really could die. After my time there was a girl in my boarding school who did actually die. She had a nut allergy. She ate a bag of pretzels or potato chips or something that had been processed in a factory where there was exposure to nuts. She had a reaction and didn't get to her epi pen fast enough. She was 16. Now she's dead.

It may seem like a PITA to you, and it is a PITA, but every time you feel inclined to grumble, thank your lucky stars that your kid is merely inconvenienced while some other mother's child is at risk of dying every single day. Her child's life may very well be in your hands. I know it helps me when I'm inclined to grumble (and I am from time to time) to think, as I try to figure out what foods will be safe, that I am actively taking steps to protect a child from certain danger. I would run out into the street to pull a child to the curb. Honestly, taking the time to be creative with your son's lunch is no less an act of child protection.

If it matters, my children don't seem to have any allergies. I know what a blessing that is!

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 08:34 PM
As a mother of a FA child with contact reactions, I would guess maybe its a milk allergy with contact reactions. Goldfish and Cheez it's both tend to stay on fingers which could get all over, resulting in the allergic child possibly touching it and reacting. Maybe its a new allergy and the parents arent really sure what to ask of the parents, so as something comes up it hits them that it could endanger their child.
My son's peanut allergy is so bad the kids have to wash their hands before coming in the classroom in the morning in case they had peanut butter. This was requested by my allergist. I think you just need clarification and can go from there. A lot of things play into it, as mentioned. When DS is older, some of the restrictions will be eased once he can handle himself better (he's only 4).

I don't think it's dairy since my son takes yogurt to school everyday. But I guess it could be since he eats that with a spoon and not his hands. I wish I would have gotten more information. Short of starving him tomorrow I am scared to make his lunch box!!! :(

crl
02-20-2013, 08:38 PM
I know kids who have the "beechnut" allergy which means they cannot eat a lot of fruits and veggies in their healthy form. But does that mean other kids can't bring those items to school?

Hmm, never heardnof beechnut allergy before. Anyway, no bans on any food on account of my kid. He can even touch those foods and not react. But if a preschool age kid has an anaphylactic to any food item, I think it is reasonable to ban it in preschool. Threat of death trumps pretty much everything else.

And this is just in reponse to the question above, not meant as commentary on the original post or anyone else's post.

Catherine

crl
02-20-2013, 08:39 PM
I don't think it's dairy since my son takes yogurt to school everyday. But I guess it could be since he eats that with a spoon and not his hands. I wish I would have gotten more information. Short of starving him tomorrow I am scared to make his lunch box!!! :(

I would simply comply with the exact request made for the time being. Send the yogurt, they didn't ask you not to.

Catherine

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 08:51 PM
I would simply comply with the exact request made for the time being. Send the yogurt, they didn't ask you not to.

Catherine

I am planning on it, but worried it's more complicated and then I won't be able to send in much that he will eat! They are working on an eating program with him since he is so picky. Funny thing is he eats things a lot of kids may not like (greek yogurt, hummous) He won't eat pizza, chicken nuggets, chocolate...go figure! At least his pickiness is leaning towards healthy food.

AnnieW625
02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks for letting me know about anaphylactic for dairy.

MSWR0319
02-20-2013, 08:57 PM
It may seem like a PITA to you, and it is a PITA, but every time you feel inclined to grumble, thank your lucky stars that your kid is merely inconvenienced while some other mother's child is at risk of dying every single day. Her child's life may very well be in your hands. I know it helps me when I'm inclined to grumble (and I am from time to time) to think, as I try to figure out what foods will be safe, that I am actively taking steps to protect a child from certain danger. I would run out into the street to pull a child to the curb. Honestly, taking the time to be creative with your son's lunch is no less an act of child protection.

I'd personally like to thank you for this statement. It's so hard as a FA mom to try and balance keeping your child safe without interrupting someone else's life. When it boils down to it, I have to do what keeps my child alive and I know that irritates some parents.

Green_Tea
02-20-2013, 09:11 PM
eta: valentine candy/treats are consumed in our classrooms. We send tattoos (or tootsie rolls since I have been told by the FA moms in our class those are ok for their kids).

Wow, really? So if a kid gets 20 lollipops/Tootsie Rolls/Fun Dips, they're allowed to eat them right then and there? I find that more surprising than a kid who is allergic to Goldfish! I don't let my 5th graders eat Valentine's candy at school - I can't imagine a class of kindergarteners or 1st graders eating a pile of candy. Better that teacher than me! :ROTFLMAO:

rlu
02-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Wow, really? So if a kid gets 20 lollipops/Tootsie Rolls/Fun Dips, they're allowed to eat them right then and there? I find that more surprising than a kid who is allergic to Goldfish! Don't let me 5th graders eat Valentine's candy at school - I can't imagine a class of kindergarteners or 1st graders eating a pile of candy. Better that teacher than me! :ROTFLMAO:

I wasn't in the room at the time but they were given 15 minutes to eat whatever treats they wanted to as they reviewed their valentines. Then she sent them out to lunch. Not my preference but also not a battle I choose to take up.

TwinFoxes
02-20-2013, 09:23 PM
I do find it odd that they mention two specific processed foods...chances are the allergen is in other things. Even if its milk, what if someone sent in a bag of Pirate's Booty, doesn't that have milk? Someone in our preschool is allergic to hummus. Clearly it has to be one of the ingredients, I thought that was so odd they didn't list the actual ingredient. It just seems like there is more room for error.

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 09:28 PM
I don't know whether goldfish and cheez its are made in a factory that also processes nuts. DS's school is nut free, which means there can be no food in the school that has nuts, but also that has nut oils or is produced or has any ingredients that are produced or processed in a factory that also processes nuts.

I know this can be irritating and seem a bit over the top, but really, it's not. If the child in your son's school has an anaphylactic allergy, that child really could die. After my time there was a girl in my boarding school who did actually die. She had a nut allergy. She ate a bag of pretzels or potato chips or something that had been processed in a factory where there was exposure to nuts. She had a reaction and didn't get to her epi pen fast enough. She was 16. Now she's dead.

If it matters, my children don't seem to have any allergies. I know what a blessing that is!

How horrible about the girl with the pretzels! I do "get" it it's just that they didn't provide enough information and that is what is making me "grumble" Like I said I don't want to send something else just as offensive! Since I have no idea what the allergy is this is hard. I think the parent should send a letter explaining the allergy or explain it to the school better so I know I am being safe! It just seemed crazy since it was crackers and not the usual offenders. I am not sure if sending a different type of cracker would be okay or not. I know some people think I may be over reacting or just insensitive, but, I think maybe this should be more of a responsibility for the school or parent of the allergic child to please clarify or provide a list of safe/ unsafe foods so I don't do anything to put this child in jeopardy with out knowing it.

Of course I read this when my son came home and no one is at school so there is no way of knowing until tomorrow. The allergic child got switched into my sons class recently a couple weeks ago I think so I am surprised parents weren't told earlier and with a description of the allergy or list of foods. If this child was my kid I definitely would have not been happy the school is just mentioning this when the kids have been together the past couple weeks and I have been sending offending things in! He was in another classroom before and I do remember they combined classes for a birthday once and said a child has severe allergies and no cupcakes...I am betting this is the same kid. I feel bad for the kid and the parents for being in the dark.

crl
02-20-2013, 09:29 PM
I am planning on it, but worried it's more complicated and then I won't be able to send in much that he will eat! They are working on an eating program with him since he is so picky. Funny thing is he eats things a lot of kids may not like (greek yogurt, hummous) He won't eat pizza, chicken nuggets, chocolate...go figure! At least his pickiness is leaning towards healthy food.

You will rise to the challenge. It will be okay. I managed and you can too. Really.

Catherine

jjordan
02-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Personally I think it is COMPLETELY ridiculous that you got that particular note. If it is a serious enough allergy that your son shouldn't bring these things in his own lunch box, then it is a serious enough allergy that they need to tell you EXACTLY what the allergy is so that you don't send in anything else that would be problematic.

Clearly the allergy is not "cheez-its and goldfish," because no one is allergic to exactly those two foods and nothing else.

OP, I hope that the teacher gets back to you soon and clarifies the situation so that you can get to work on figuring out what are some safe foods that you can give to your son.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Comments helpful rather than derogatory are appreciated. I read OP to be expressing her frustration but she did not state she would continue sending the forbidden food or ask the allergic child to be moved or any of the more outrageous comments we've seen in the news. Reading through her posts I believe she is asking if anyone here might know the type of allergy it is so she can determine her alternatives. A blanket statement "no goldfish due to allergy" would have me frustrated and questioning alternatives as well.

:yeahthat: I agree. I think the OP has every right to be annoyed at the teacher's note..it is not clear at all, and you'd think in cases of allergies/life or death matter the teacher should be VERY clear in communicating to other parents what is allowed and what isn't, for the child's sake. Saying "please don't bring goldfish or cheezits because of an allergy" seems like such a half-assed effort on the teacher's part, to be honest (i find it hard to believe that a child would be allergic to those 2 things only!). It doesn't specify what the allergy is, so that other parents can read labels to determine if it's safe to send in or not. That would really annoy me and if it were me I'd probably be calling the teacher to clarify. And like OP said, i would want to know what the allergic ingredient is so i can provide safe alternatives. If it's a wheat allergy, then I obviously don't want to be bringing in graham crackers or pretzels in either.

I've read here before of FA parents complaining about teachers' lack of communication to others re: their kids allergies and this seems like a prime example of that. I'd be pretty upset if i was the kid's parent, honestly. I'm sure whatever's in goldfish or cheezits is in many other things too.

Kindra178
02-20-2013, 10:12 PM
OP, I suspect it is an annato allergy, as you guessed. Here is a letter to the editor:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2805955/

Annatto has not been fully classified by the FDA. It is most likely a tree nut, although it is not in the same family as any other nuts (it is common to have multiple tree nut allergies due to family similarities).

As a FA mom, I guess I don't think other parents need a greater explanation. The information is no goldfish or cheez its. Since that is the directive, that is it. End of discussion. I am not sure why more information is needed.

The problem with FAs generally is that one doesn't necessarily know if it's serious or mild. AS I have posted before, DS1 was always allergic to peanuts (age 2), then almonds, then cleared for almonds, and now it has morphed (age 6)into almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts.

It drives me crazy when people ask me how serious his nut allergies are. I can't answer that. His numbers indicate that he most likely won't have anaphalaxis to peanuts due to his blood numbers, but his skin reaction is considered moderate to severe. Hazelnuts has zero skin reaction, but his blood levels indicate a more severe reaction.

It's too bad Bubba Ray can't jump in here.

Simon
02-20-2013, 10:27 PM
As a FA mom, I guess I don't think other parents need a greater explanation. The information is no goldfish or cheez its. Since that is the directive, that is it. End of discussion. I am not sure why more information is needed.

It drives me crazy when people ask me how serious his nut allergies are. I can't answer that. His numbers indicate that he most likely won't have anaphalaxis to peanuts due to his blood numbers, but his skin reaction is considered moderate to severe. Hazelnuts has zero skin reaction, but his blood levels indicate a more severe reaction.

:yeahthat: First, my kid's allergy information is part of their protected medical information and I don't always want that info splashed about. Sure, sometimes its necessary for people to know and other times its just fodder for the gossip mill.

Also, I find that with more information, some people will try to find a way to wiggle out of or around the directive. They want to know how bad the reaction would be so they can decide if the risk is enough for them to comply. I'm NOT saying this is the OP. Its just one reason FA parents might feel sensitive about giving more details. I also know other people who want to know more so that they don't inadvertently place my Dc in danger. I appreciate the thought and the concern but the answers aren't always simple.

TwinFoxes
02-20-2013, 10:37 PM

Well, like we said, I'd be concerned that whatever is in Cheezits and goldfish is also in something else. Can I send in Annie's Bunnies? What about non-Cheezits cheese crackers? That's why I'd want more info. My kids aren't especially picky, (as four year olds go) but I can see why moms of picky kids would want to know what alternatives are OK.

speo
02-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Personally I think it is COMPLETELY ridiculous that you got that particular note. If it is a serious enough allergy that your son shouldn't bring these things in his own lunch box, then it is a serious enough allergy that they need to tell you EXACTLY what the allergy is so that you don't send in anything else that would be problematic.

Clearly the allergy is not "cheez-its and goldfish," because no one is allergic to exactly those two foods and nothing else.

OP, I hope that the teacher gets back to you soon and clarifies the situation so that you can get to work on figuring out what are some safe foods that you can give to your son.

:yeahthat: I think the teachers need to be more clear.

Here is a link listing items with annato http://www.ibsnomore.com/annatto-food-list . It seems there are many more items than just goldfish including yogurt and cheddar cheese. Why wouldn't the school and parents not want an official sent home to everyone that states the child is allergic to annato and this is mainly found in goldfish, etc? If they don't know it is annato yet, I still think it would be prudent for the school to send home an official note stating "a child has had a severe reaction to goldfish please don't bring those." And that note might possibly state that the parents are investigating the allergen.

ETA: By "official" I mean a note sent to the entire class instead of a specific note to one parent about their very specific food item.

niccig
02-20-2013, 10:42 PM
I could see asking if other types of crackers were OK. If it is a particular ingredient in those crackers, TJs has several different crackers that could work. If it is an ingredient, I could see banning these crackers as they are very common for kids to eat and messy, crumbs get into everything. Other food with same ingredient may not be as messy or as common.

I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions and assuming it's dairy as the note would have said "no dairy, no yogurt etc" rather than no goldfish. I'd send yogurt tomorrow, get clarification if other kinds of crackers are OK and go from there.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-20-2013, 10:51 PM
Well, like we said, I'd be concerned that whatever is in Cheezits and goldfish is also in something else. Can I send in Annie's Bunnies? What about non-Cheezits cheese crackers? That's why I'd want more info. My kids aren't especially picky, (as four year olds go) but I can see why moms of picky kids would want to know what alternatives are OK.

:yeahthat: Exactly. I don't see why it's so wrong to want more information (e.g. what the actual ingredient is). if it is annatto, why not at least give that information? i eat GF and read labels a ton and i guarantee it is in more foods than just goldfish and cheez-its. I frequent Trader Joe's and i often buy their brand of snacks that are "knockoffs' of popular snack item..and yes, Annie's Bunnies are more popular with my kids than goldfish are...so are those banned too? It seems much more easier and clear if the ingredient would be provided.

rin
02-20-2013, 10:53 PM

Neither of my kids have any FAs that we know of, but my SIL has a great many, some anaphylatic, some otherwise, to a whole lot of different things, both food and environmental, both ingested and airborne (including when things become airborne due to being baked/cooked, so she can't be in a room with brewing coffee, or the same house where someone's baking banana bread, sauteing peppers, etc). I am extremely sympathetic to the difficulties families face when dealing with allergies.

I would be totally irritated by getting a letter saying "no cheeze-its, no goldfish". I would want to know exactly what the allergy was, and under exactly what circumstances I should not send it. If it's an annatto allergy, as PPs have guessed, then is orange-colored cheddar ruled out? My SIL goes into anaphylaxis if she's around baking bananas but she's ok with her husband eating them around her. I don't think a family should have to provide details about the kind of reaction, etc, but I think clear information like "no foods containing annatto (and maybe a helpful note about how this probably means most artificially colored bright-orange foods)" would be completely reasonable. The example of the girl who ate chips processed in a facility with nuts is a PERFECT example of why more info should be given to the class; if it is in fact an annatto allergy, and the OP sends her child in with something like, say, Cheetos, then that's a problem. If there's a child with an allergy serious enough to require other children to limit what they have in their lunches, then every parent in that class should be informed about what they have to do to help protect that child.

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 10:55 PM
I usually don't post things that will be controversial or divide people since I feel since we are not "talking" in person that things can come across wrong.

I am definitely not trying to wiggle out of sending some thing in that would be unsafe, but, I am concerned since if it is something like annatto I'd like to know so I make sure it isn't in something else I send. I am not trying to know personal information or medical information, but, if you want parents to care about protecting your child you have to be open to what the issue is. If it's only those 2 crackers that happen to be common offenders and I send something else and this kid gets rushed to the hospital hopefully I am not the one blamed! I would like to know for sure since I am thinking whatever is in those 2 cheese crackers are in other types/brands as well. I think if I wanted to protect my child I would be completely open maybe not to the severity of the reaction since you are right not every time someone eats something they have the same reaction, but, to ensure the safety of the child.

Anything can happen anytime so it's best to be prepared/informed. My mom had a friend who used to eat sunflower seed bagels quite often with no allergy and then one day she was rushed to the hospital she ended up okay and she had no idea why that happened.

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Just a quick note for curiosity I just checked other crackers we have and low and behold wheat thins have annatto. I am not even sure if that's the ingredient that affects this child. But that was one of the items that stood out to me on the label, the other is paprika. Either way I should know so I make sure it is in nothing else I would send. Parents of FA kids should hope there are more parents like me because I had thought of sending wheat thins tomorrow! I won't now until I find out more information. For the people who posted that FA parents don't need to explain more please understand that you could be putting your kids at risk since usually there is more than one or two offending foods! Especially if it something like a coloring.

crl
02-20-2013, 11:37 PM
As a FA mom, I do think it is reasonable to inquire further. Something like, "I want to make sure I am not sending in any foods that are a hazard, can you tell me what the offending ingredient is?"

I think this is reasonable mostly to protect the FA child (my child and I would be horrified to send in something that caused a reaction).

But I also think it is reasonable from a planning perspective. I usually buy shelf-stable snack and lunch items in bulk to save money. If another item is also a problem, I would really want to know that upfront to avoid wasting money on more foods that cannot be sent. I do understand that new allergies can crop up, etc, etc, but to the extent something is a known problem, complete information is only fair to the rest of the parents.

Catherine

ShanaMama
02-20-2013, 11:41 PM
A child that is contact anaphylactic to milk in a preschool class where they eat in the room is a much different scenario than a 5th grader in a lunch room with a lactose intolerant classmate. There just isn't enough information here to decide if OP is overreacting or not.
Do you actually know anyone that's contact anaphylactic? I ask because my DS went into anaphylaxis after eating split pea soup (peas). When we did allergy testing I asked if he could get anything more than the one hive from the skin test. They assured me that he could not go into anaphylaxis without eating the food. That was news to me.

:yeahthat: First, my kid's allergy information is part of their protected medical information and I don't always want that info splashed about. Sure, sometimes its necessary for people to know and other times its just fodder for the gossip mill.

No offense intended, but I think it's a shame to feel this way. The best way to protect your child is to educate those around him. Some will be less accomodating than others, but being secretive about allergy information helps nobody.

OP- it sounds like you're being more than reasonable to accommodate the request. At this point I would try not to stress about what might or might not be ok, just stop sending the particular item & continue sending everything else until you get more clarity. Them expecting you to deduce or guess is ridiculous. You are probably giving it more thought than most of the parents.

KrisM
02-20-2013, 11:42 PM
OP, I suspect it is an annato allergy, as you guessed. Here is a letter to the editor:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2805955/

Annatto has not been fully classified by the FDA. It is most likely a tree nut, although it is not in the same family as any other nuts (it is common to have multiple tree nut allergies due to family similarities).

The problem with FAs generally is that one doesn't necessarily know if it's serious or mild. AS I have posted before, DS1 was always allergic to peanuts (age 2), then almonds, then cleared for almonds, and now it has morphed (age 6)into almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts.

It's too bad Bubba Ray can't jump in here.

So, if it is the annatto, and someone tomorrow brings in Annie's Cheddar Bunnies, which also contains annatto, and the allergic child gets a severe reaction, then what? I guess I don't understand why the allergic child wouldn't want to not have any of those ingredients in the class. And, I'd feel horrible, if I followed the directive and sent in Cheddar Bunnies and caused another child to be sick or seriously harmed because more information wasn't given.

squimp
02-20-2013, 11:46 PM
I wasn't in the room at the time but they were given 15 minutes to eat whatever treats they wanted to as they reviewed their valentines.

Yep they did this last week at our school too. My DD was commenting on how some kids went totally crazy, wouldn't they feel sick, etc. But there's no guarantee kids won't eat the valentine's on the bus or whatever so it does indeed seem like the valentine snack rule should be the same as the general food rules.

sste
02-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Yes, very sympathetic over here to the food allergy.

But this is starting to make me nostalgic for the days of the neighborhood school where kids could return home to eat lunch which was a longer affair (I think that really occurred and was not just on TV). My kids are so little I sort of wish they had a shorter school day or an option for lunch at home. :) If allergy diagnoses keep on increasing isn't it theoretically possible you would end up with nuts, dairy, fish, berry/fruit, and I guess annetto all restricted. Maybe others?

ETA: I should clarify I meant my kids NOT the kids with food allergies who should be entitled to eat wherever they want with whatever restrictions are nec. to keep them safe.

o_mom
02-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Do you actually know anyone that's contact anaphylactic? I ask because my DS went into anaphylaxis after eating split pea soup (peas). When we did allergy testing I asked if he could get anything more than the one hive from the skin test. They assured me that he could not go into anaphylaxis without eating the food. That was news to me.

DS3 had a girl in his preschool class who had an anaphylactic reaction to peanuts from contact. Bubbaray's daughter had anaphylaxsis from being near fish that was cooking (airborne). It does happen. The point, though, was that different situations call for different protocols.

ShanaMama
02-21-2013, 12:01 AM
DS3 had a girl in his preschool class who had an anaphylactic reaction to peanuts from contact. Bubbaray's daughter had anaphylaxsis from being near fish that was cooking (airborne). It does happen. The point, though, was that different situations call for different protocols.

Hmmm. I was pretty sure that could be the case- otherwise why the need for Nut free facilities. Ill have to get clarification from my allergist on their comment. I think it was the nurse, not the dr, but she was emphatic. I've been dealing with allergies for years with DD2, but now that DS is anaphylactic... It's a whole new world. Sorry for the hijack, OP.

MMMommy
02-21-2013, 12:08 AM
The best way to protect your child is to educate those around him. Some will be less accomodating than others, but being secretive about allergy information helps nobody.

:yeahthat: I think being informed and educated with respect to a person's allergy is crucial to avoiding adverse and life threatening situations.

crl
02-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Hmmm. I was pretty sure that could be the case- otherwise why the need for Nut free facilities. Ill have to get clarification from my allergist on their comment. I think it was the nurse, not the dr, but she was emphatic. I've been dealing with allergies for years with DD2, but now that DS is anaphylactic... It's a whole new world. Sorry for the hijack, OP.

Ds had a child in his preschool class who went into anaphylactic shock from contact with an egg. Contact anaphylaxis is definitely possible.

Catherine

Blakes Mommy
02-21-2013, 12:34 AM
I hopefully will talk to someone tommorrow and give everyone an update to what the allergy is! I know I originally looked annoyed about this, but, it did seem crazy to me because I never heard of someone being allergic to goldfish or cheez its before so it has to be something in them that is the issue. This is my whole point though please tell me the allergic item so I can make informed choices!! :)

rin
02-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Do you actually know anyone that's contact anaphylactic?

Yes, my SIL has anaphylactic reactions to a number of airborne things, including the smell of cooking bananas, peaches (so no banana bread, peach pie, etc), peppers, onions, and coffee. I don't know about skin-to-skin contact, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that she does.

ahisma
02-21-2013, 12:46 AM
I think the biggest frustration here is the poor communication. I think that a lot of schools (ours included) would benefit from more clear and concise communications regarding food allergies. I'm sure that if you got a letter home that instructed you to avoid ingredients A, B, C for life threatening reasons - with a list of excluded foods and info on how to identify them - you'd feel much differently.

As for the hummus - it's likely sesame seeds (tahini).

As for the issue of packing a snack / lunch, here's what I do for my vegetarian DS. He gets a sunflower seed butter and jam sandwich, pretzels (FA safe) or popcorn (airpop, FA safe), a fruit and a veggie (typically snap peas, cherry tomatoes or baby carrots). Snacks are either a fruit or veggie, or homemade trail mix (cheerios, popcorn sunflower seeds, raisins).

We vary it some obviously, but that's the core "standard lunch" that we start from.

123LuckyMom
02-21-2013, 12:55 AM
I do agree, OP, that more information would certainly be helpful to you (and the other parents) and safer for the child with the allergy! When our school went nut free, I did call several times to get direction. I don't think there would be any harm in calling the school and asking for clarification as to what ingredients or conditions you should avoid for the safety of the FA child. I certainly don't blame you for feeling mystified by the lack of comprehensive information. It did sound a bit as though you were just generally irritated at having to restrict your own son's food, and that's what I was responding to. I understand that irritation, too. I feel it sometimes. I just try to keep my focus on how lucky I am just to have that irritation and not the fear a mom of an FA child has to live with every day, and I was suggesting that focus might help with your irritation, too.

TwinFoxes
02-21-2013, 01:07 AM
I think the biggest frustration here is the poor communication. I think that a lot of schools (ours included) would benefit from more clear and concise communications regarding food allergies. I'm sure that if you got a letter home that instructed you to avoid ingredients A, B, C for life threatening reasons - with a list of excluded foods and info on how to identify them - you'd feel much differently.

As for the hummus - it's likely sesame seeds (tahini).

That is what I figured...but parents are in charge of snack for the entire class at our preschool. What if someone brought sesame crackers? I think your idea of "here's the ingredient, FYI, it's also in hummus and other foods" makes a lot of sense.

craftysierra
02-21-2013, 01:26 AM

Agreed! When my middle two were in preschool a few allergies were mentioned at orientation, but never mentioned again. The first year was peanuts and I remembered that (but talking to the mom at the end of the year party it was another nut). Then the 2nd year was eggs, bananas and milk. In a classroom where food was brought in often and as the harried mom trying to navigate our own dietary issues reminders and clarification are needed!
Sierra

mom2binsd
02-21-2013, 01:57 AM
Our school does a very good job with food allergies.

We are a nut free school.

Classrooms with children with severe allergies also have a large, I mean HUGE sign on the door that no food is to be brought into the classroom without seeing the teacher.

At the beginning of this year, as room parent I got a list of acceptable snacks for our class parties, specific brand names and even which stores carried the specific brands.

IT was given to each parent who signed up for snacks for each class party.

The students in DS's 1st grade class do not eat snack in their classroom and at lunch there is a peanut free table for students with identified peanut allergies.

A little girl in the class has allergies beyond peanuts, and I had the parent who volunteered for snack for the parties email that parent to let her know what was being served. If needed she sent in an alternate snack, and her daughter is very good at not touching other children's food etc. The mom of the child with the FA is very open and both she and her child do not always expect that she will eat exactly what the others eat and are fine with that.

My DS was recently diagnosed with a peanut and egg allergy, but he can have things made with eggs, although some tend to cause him to have a scratchy throat like Barilla Plus pasta.....he has an epipen at school and home.

It sounds like OP's teacher/school nurse needs to provide the new classroom for this student with some guidelines. I agree that just saying no Cheezits or Goldfish isn't going to eliminate exposure as I'm sure there are many other snacks that contain the exact allergen, whatever it may be.

As a new parent of FA I too am afraid of what might happen to DS at school, but I also think it's fair to inform those around me of what are options that will still allow lots of choice for others and to keep the child with FA safe.

Globetrotter
02-21-2013, 03:20 AM
The best way to protect your child is to educate those around him. Some will be less accomodating than others, but being secretive about allergy information helps nobody.

:yeahthat:

Years ago we had a child in class who was allergic to nuts. I called the mom to ask if it was okay to bring certain things to school and get ideas, and she was dismissive - didn't bother to answer my questions properly. If it was MY kid, I would jump at the opportunity to educate others - after all, my kid would be the one to benefit (since then I have become a lot more educated about FA friendly food options but most people are not).

OP, kudos to you for trying to do the right thing, and I hope you get some answers.

Simon
02-21-2013, 11:42 AM

No offense intended, but I think it's a shame to feel this way. The best way to protect your child is to educate those around him. Some will be less accomodating than others, but being secretive about allergy information helps nobody.

I'm not offended and I think you even have a good point. I think with reasonable people and caring people, like the OP, then it makes sense. I agree that the school could have added "because these foods contain _____". I think the school was very straight forward and clear--please do not send X and Y anymore. I think the OP should just feel confident that the note covered all bases and trust that the FA parent will address it with the school if did not.

But I think there are also a lot of problems with the idea that parents and, let's face it, usually Mom's of FA kids serve their kids best by educating others. Not all FA parents are well educated and not all kids have similar reactions to the same foods. I don't want people to feel they know about my kids' allergies because they had a child with X allergy in their classroom last year. Some kids are contact reactive, some even to airborne particles, some just have high RAST numbers and the parents have no idea how they might react to contact or ingestion. Not to mention that there is still a lot of disagreement among the medical community. I feel like it is safer for my child to give a specific guideline such as please do not send X vs. there is a child with Y allergy in the classroom, please avoid with foods containing Y

Plus, I have absolutely lived in places where kids with FA or other medical and dietary restrictions were treated very differently, often as though they were a burden, by other parents and even school staff. That's wrong, but it is also not something I can control, like people who don't believe in ADHD.

Mopey
02-21-2013, 12:25 PM
I knew we were lucky that Mopey has been a great eater and so far had no reactions to anything - including eggs and peanuts. We took part in a pb&j session for a shelter after Sandy hit and I even mentioned to my sis that it seemed the Miss wasn't allergic since the place stank of pb and she said it wasn't funny (kindergarten teacher of 15 years) and I said I really wasn't joking! But now I know we are supremely lucky in this and I am very grateful.

I am also grateful to the PP who made mention of thinking how she was protecting a child from a certain danger. I actually did pull a wandering 8 year old back at my Mom's corner the other day (whose Father was BB'ing right next to him, after I first called out - he gave me such a look. I almost posted about it in the bitching forum - you are welcome for grabbing your son who was 2 feet from the passing taxi).

Anyway, I think that is a wonderful way to think of it and I will try to always remember once Mopey is in school and we are dealing with this elements.

:bowdown:

div_0305
02-21-2013, 12:25 PM
As a mom of a child with a FA, I'm really stunned that goldfish and cheezits would be banned. There may be a dairy or wheat allergy, but this is not the same as a nut or egg allergy. I think your school administrators have lost their sensibilities on this one. There are much more sensible ways to keep the kids safe when there is a wheat or dairy allergy. Children must be taught not to share food, and an adult should be sitting with them at meal/snack time. I think that is a licensing rule for preschools in my state.

So as a FA parent, I think the school is being unreasonable and you need to challenge them to explain the reason for banning goldfish and cheezits. I sense it is a lack of knowledge about FA and how to handle them reasonably that caused the school to ban them.

ETA: Another common allergy is soy--imagine if the school decided to ban all soy containing products. Really it is just out of control. I had a FA mom at my son's school try to stop the rest of us from bringing in anything with dairy because her son had a dairy allergy. Some parents can take the FA thing to a level which is totally wacky and unreasonable, and makes the rest of us FA parents look nuts--pardon the pun.

BabbyO
02-21-2013, 12:40 PM
I didn't read all the posts, but my guess is that the concern is one of two things:
1. Contact reactions. Some kids are THAT allergic to the offending allergen
2. Let's face it, these are kids. Kids like to trade foods that are in their lunch boxes. I'm sure you did as a kid...I know I did. So the concern may be that a FA kiddo may trade a food they can't eat.

As a FA mom, I struggle. I understand both sides. My kiddos have definite FA's, but they are non-IgE mediated. That is to say they won't go into anaphylactic shock, and as they are getting older their reactions are getting less and less severe. But when DS was small any amount of dairy would send him to the ER with extreme gastrointestinal distress. I'll spare you the details, but it was scary and life threatening for a child that young.

I think that too often there are different reactions and people always envision the worst case scenario. Parents need to be responsible when educating teachers. Some allergies are not going to present in life threatening reactions, esp for an occasional accidental exposure.

When Stachio was in public DC I educated his teachers and one of the directors regarding his allergy. The goal was to be sure he didn't share food and that his food was milk free. We worked very closely with the staff and they were great. To my knowledge there were no foods banned in his room of 2-3 yo's and there were at least 3 kids with allergies. But IF he did get a little he'd generally be ok. He might get diarrhea or excezma. Some people think this isn't a real allergy, but it is. It is just a matter of as he gets older he is outgrowing it so his reactions are less severe.

I guess what I'm saying is I think it is ok to ban foods that will cause anaphylaxis or maybe severe vomitting, but foods that have less severe reactions....I think we just need to be a bit more diligent about educating teachers, staff, and our kids themselves.

icunurse
02-21-2013, 12:41 PM
The best way to protect your child is to educate those around him. .

Taking your quote a little out of context, but just wanted to stress that the best way to protect your child is to teach them to protect themselves and start it at an early age. Ultimately, no one is responsible for your child's safety but you and them. The world can't go peanut free, dairy free, etc. While I totally agree to not hide an allergy, you also shouldn't depend on others to keep them safe. We teach our children how to cross the street safely, knowing that we can't depend on drivers to always stop. We teach our children about stranger danger because we know that they won't always be in eyeshot of us or another responsible adult. While I agree with safety measures at a young age, the best option would be to raise a child who knows their risks and how to respond to them (ie. don't share food, tell a teacher immediately if they feel funny after eating something). And that can be done starting at very early ages.

My friends DS has had anaphylactic reactions to eggs and dairy (has since outgrown the dairy). She considered it her most important job to teach her son that he had to look out for himself, to not eat any food without asking one of his parents, make sure that surfaces and hands are clean, etc. He has gone to two schools since preschool with zero food bans and the only rule is no sharing food. They have pizza day, ice cream day, milk snack every day, hot, lunches. Never had a reaction because he took the precautions seriously and upon himself, and then he had assistance from his school (separate table at lunch for all the kids with food allergies, trays so that spilled food doesnt spread towards others, food kept in the lunch room and not in the classroom). Granted, he is a pretty darn good kid, but he is an example that proper education and precautions doesn't have to mean food bans. (He also has had a classmate with peanut allergies, no issues with her, either)

Green_Tea
02-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Taking your quote a little out of context, but just wanted to stress that the best way to protect your child is to teach them to protect themselves and start it at an early age. Ultimately, no one is responsible for your child's safety but you and them. The world can't go peanut free, dairy free, etc. While I totally agree to not hide an allergy, you also shouldn't depend on others to keep them safe. We teach our children how to cross the street safely, knowing that we can't depend on drivers to always stop. We teach our children about stranger danger because we know that they won't always be in eyeshot of us or another responsible adult. While I agree with safety measures at a young age, the best option would be to raise a child who knows their risks and how to respond to them (ie. don't share food, tell a teacher immediately if they feel funny after eating something). And that can be done starting at very early ages.

My friends DS has had anaphylactic reactions to eggs and dairy (has since outgrown the dairy). She considered it her most important job to teach her son that he had to look out for himself, to not eat any food without asking one of his parents, make sure that surfaces and hands are clean, etc. He has gone to two schools since preschool with zero food bans and the only rule is no sharing food. They have pizza day, ice cream day, milk snack every day, hot, lunches. Never had a reaction because he took the precautions seriously and upon himself, and then he had assistance from his school (separate table at lunch for all the kids with food allergies, trays so that spilled food doesnt spread towards others, food kept in the lunch room and not in the classroom). Granted, he is a pretty darn good kid, but he is an example that proper education and precautions doesn't have to mean food bans. (He also has had a classmate with peanut allergies, no issues with her, either)

For as seriously as I believe that parents need to take classroom allergies, I believe this 100%, too. My peanut allergic DD was taught from a VERY early age that she needed to take responsibility for what she ate. She was asking people about ingredients and turning down foods before she turned two. I have never insisted on an allergen free classroom or lunch table for her because the WORLD is not allergen free. Having a DH with a severe nut allergy has shaped how I deal with DD - his family never went nut free (they did have plenty of non-nut options, though) and they never expected that anyone else would, either.

I don't fault parents of FA kids for insisting on allergen free environments AT ALL, but I do think it is no substitute for teaching kids to advocate for themselves and view their allergies as their responsibility. I do have to laugh at the analogy to crossing the street and strange danger, though - I actually DON'T think today's parents do a great job at this because we have given our kids fewer freedoms than they have ever had before. I hear parents say all the time that they won't let their older kids walk to school without an adult or run into a store alone or ride their bike to a friend's house. I think that we are raising a generation of kids who don't know how to be responsible because they haven't had very many opportunities to learn - an adult always tells them what the smart/right choice is. For food allergy kids, learning to make good choices when an adult isn't around is an ESSENTIAL skill. Do I think preschoolers are capable of this? Nope. Should a second or third grader be able to make a smart choice about sharing food? Yes, I believe so.

I thought this was a great piece on cultivating leadership and independence: http://growingleaders.com/blog/3-mistakes-we-make-leading-kids/

nicepersonfl
02-21-2013, 01:12 PM

My child is contact anaphylactic to peanuts and tree nuts.

PZMommy
02-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Speaking as a teacher, I would not trust parents of other students with my child's safety regarding allergies. Half the parents don't even read notices sent home, and of those that do read them only a small number comply. At every school I have worked at students eat snack and lunch outside at the lunch tables. There are a few aides for several hundred kids. There is no way to police every kids' lunchbox. Public schools are understaffed and overworked. I don't know what the answer is, but trusting other parents is out of my comfort zone.

As a side note, my youngest has an IFSP through early intervention. He has low oral motor tone and needs feeding therapy with an OT. Goldfish are one of the few real foods he is able to eat at snack. Goldfish are specificly written into his plan which is a legal document. If he was banned from having his goldfish it would be a serious problem for him.

TwoBees
02-21-2013, 02:17 PM
As a side note, my youngest has an IFSP through early intervention. He has low oral motor tone and needs feeding therapy with an OT. Goldfish are one of the few real foods he is able to eat at snack. Goldfish are specificly written into his plan which is a legal document. If he was banned from having his goldfish it would be a serious problem for him.

I've stayed out of this thread so far because I have mixed emotions on this topic and didn't want to past anything inflammatory to either side. But I've had a nagging question since the thread began, and PZMommy pretty much touched on it.

DD has some oral sensitivites, and food is not a motivator. There are very few foods she will eat consistently, and that we know will give her some calories (although that list is growing, fortunately). I'm not sure what I would do if one of those foods was suddenly off-limits at school. Sending her with something new one day and no familiar alternative is simply not an option--she'd rather go hungry. There are already some foods she eats that we can't send because they may have traces of nuts.

So here's my question: how do you balance the needs of kids with FAs with the needs of kids who have other issues? I understand that some kids have anaphylactic reactions, and I would never want to put another kid in danger. But my kid is also in danger if she consistently doesn't eat. No, she won't die, at least not immediately. But what's the work-around? Hypothetically, do I pull my kid out of school because I can't send anything she will eat, or does the FA kid get pulled out of school, because of the possibility of an allergic reaction? Where do you draw the line? I'm hoping we don't encounter this problem, but I'd like to have some thoughts about how to deal with it.

FWIW, DD's preschool is nut free, and the kids are taught not to share food. But I know that's not a perfect solution for someone with allergies.

o_mom
02-21-2013, 02:32 PM
So here's my question: how do you balance the needs of kids with FAs with the needs of kids who have other issues? I understand that some kids have anaphylactic reactions, and I would never want to put another kid in danger. But my kid is also in danger if she consistently doesn't eat. No, she won't die, at least not immediately. But what's the work-around? Hypothetically, do I pull my kid out of school because I can't send anything she will eat, or does the FA kid get pulled out of school, because of the possibility of an allergic reaction? Where do you draw the line? I'm hoping we don't encounter this problem, but I'd like to have some thoughts about how to deal with it.

I would think they could work something out - something like making sure both children were seated far away from each other and the tables and hands were cleaned immediately after eating. It adds another layer of complexity for sure and would require more staffing. However, most times people who are put out by restrictions have kids who are just picky, maybe at the extreme end of normal, but they are not getting therapy or in medical danger by not having a particular food. Their desire for their child to have a favorite food does not carry the force of law like a child in feeding therapy would have.

Our lunchroom has a nut-free table in the cafeteria it is not used except for one lunch period and only the children assigned to the table or those buying hot lunch are allowed to sit there (the daily hot lunch option is nut-free, but other menu options are not).

squimp
02-21-2013, 02:37 PM

Such a good point. Once kids get to be a certain age they have a lot more freedom and I think it's much harder for parents to control the situation. Like when I have DD's friends over, sometimes I forget to ask the parents about allergies/diet restrictions, but at age 9 I think kids should be able to speak for themselves on this. DD knows her friends restrictions and even their likes and dislikes, that helps a lot. (not equating dislikes to allergies, just saying that kids really do have to be able to communicate with each other and with other adults)

sophiesmom03
02-21-2013, 03:14 PM
As a mom of a child with a FA, I'm really stunned that goldfish and cheezits would be banned. There may be a dairy or wheat allergy, but this is not the same as a nut or egg allergy. I think your school administrators have lost their sensibilities on this one. There are much more sensible ways to keep the kids safe when there is a wheat or dairy allergy. Children must be taught not to share food, and an adult should be sitting with them at meal/snack time. I think that is a licensing rule for preschools in my state.

So as a FA parent, I think the school is being unreasonable and you need to challenge them to explain the reason for banning goldfish and cheezits. I sense it is a lack of knowledge about FA and how to handle them reasonably that caused the school to ban them.

ETA: Another common allergy is soy--imagine if the school decided to ban all soy containing products. Really it is just out of control. I had a FA mom at my son's school try to stop the rest of us from bringing in anything with dairy because her son had a dairy allergy. Some parents can take the FA thing to a level which is totally wacky and unreasonable, and makes the rest of us FA parents look nuts--pardon the pun.

From reading this, it seems you're saying that the only serious, contact or inhaled, food allergy is nuts, is that right? If so I have to strongly disagree as I personally know people who cannot touch or inhale dairy or wheat items.

Or maybe you're saying you would be OK with kids bringing nuts and egg into your son's classroom as long as they don't share their food with him?

Please clarify. :) I don't mean to be confrontational so I think maybe I'm just missing the point.

http://www.faiusa.org/page.aspx?pid=374#Can you have a reaction after smelling or touching a problem food?

div_0305
02-21-2013, 03:26 PM
From reading this, it seems you're saying that the only serious, contact or inhaled, food allergy is nuts, is that right? If so I have to strongly disagree as I personally know people who cannot touch or inhale dairy or wheat items.

Or maybe you're saying you would be OK with kids bringing nuts and egg into your son's classroom as long as they don't share their food with him?

Please clarify. :) I don't mean to be confrontational so I think maybe I'm just missing the point.

http://www.faiusa.org/page.aspx?pid=374#Can you have a reaction after smelling or touching a problem food?

I don't believe the reaction for skin contact or inhaling dairy or wheat in a cracker would be anaphylactic as it would be for nuts or eggs. A reaction yes, but not life-threatening. I clicked on your link and read the same.

And if my child were allergic to peanuts I would not be okay with peanuts being brought into a classroom, but I would be okay with them being brought into a cafeteria where there is a nut free table a safe distance away. This is the protocol in my county's public schools.

ShanaMama
02-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Icunurse, good point about educating the child. I was responding to a comment about secrecy around food allergies so your child doesn't become the butt of the rumor mill. My 4 yo knows exactly what she can't eat & she will question any adult serving her, myself included. Even the most vigilant adult can make mistakes & I have made several. She was aware of her allergies around 2 yo & used to tell her dolls "no sweetie, you can't have that, it has eggies".
Fwiw, I have never requested that the school be allergen free & my house isn't either. Especially now that I have 2 children allergic to opposite things, it would be nearly impossible. However, in her school the children bring in food to distribute frequently: communal snack is supplied by parents, show & tell is often food, birthday parties, etc. I helped the teacher draft a notice at the beginning of the year stating exactly what the label can/ cannot say & giving some suggestions. The teacher has a stash of treats in case someone brings in something she can't have & i also stocked her freezer with egg free cupcakes so DD has something to eat at birthday parties.

ShanaMama
02-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Oops duplicate post.

dowlinal
02-21-2013, 09:59 PM
That is what I figured...but parents are in charge of snack for the entire class at our preschool. What if someone brought sesame crackers? I think your idea of "here's the ingredient, FYI, it's also in hummus and other foods" makes a lot of sense.

When my younger daughter was a baby she reacted to hummus and my normally laid back pediatrician sent us immediately to an allergist because chickpeas and peanuts are in the same family. So the hummus restriction could be the chickpeas and/or a peanut allergy thing. Fortunately my daughter turned out to not be allergic to either.

As for the original poster, I hope you get clarification. Several of my kids have friends with severe food allergies and it's so much easier to make things safe when you know what to avoid.

MMMommy
02-22-2013, 12:11 AM
OP, did you find out today the reasons behind the specific prohibition on Cheez-Its and Goldfish? Hoping to hear an update on what the teacher/school said about the issue.

Blakes Mommy
02-22-2013, 10:00 AM
OP, did you find out today the reasons behind the specific prohibition on Cheez-Its and Goldfish? Hoping to hear an update on what the teacher/school said about the issue.

Here is the update...I talked to someone at school yestarday. I wanted to post, but, just had a crazy day! Anyway, I didn't find out the mysterious ingredient and maybe people don't know (including the parents). I was told that they have just seen an issue with cheesy type crackers. This really stinks since I would like to replace the item with maybe something similar that doesn't have the ingredient. I am betting it's annatto. They said I could send wheat thins and I said well they have the ingredient that I think may be the issue and the school said I shouldn't worry about it and just stay away from cheesy type crackers. So I really don't know if it's the cheese or the coloring! Something like cheddar pirates booty doesn't have annatto, but wheat thins which is not cheesy does. The administator asked me if this was the first I heard of this allergy in the class and I said yes. I think I was supposed to be told before. She said she will try to find out, but, I am betting I just can't send cheesy crackers/ snacks and may send something else just as bad! Crazy!

My son is in a small specialized school and the ratio is like 2 students to one staff so this really shouldn't be an issue. My son told me he did not share with the FA kid and the other kid basically took/stole it from his lunch box! He said he only got one....I guess this may be an issue of behavior with the other student. I was told that the school isn't totally clear about this allergy and she had even spoke to the nursing office and they just said no cheese crakers. She also said it may be just a temporary thing, as in they may make some type exceptions later or something. I was also told they are just peanut free and any other nut is okay like sandwiches made with other butters. This was pretty suprising to me since I thought a lot of people may be allergic to other nuts as well. Not sure if my son will like other butters....just curious anyone have recomendations of ones they/kids like?

Basically I really didn't find out what I wanted and it is kind of frustrating since i am not sure if I am sending safe or unsafe foods in.

marymoo86
02-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Sorry you weren't able to get a better understanding and perhaps the parents do not yet know to give more direction to the school.

As for other nut butter suggestions - I actually prefer sunflower seed butter to other "nut" butters.

Blakes Mommy
02-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Sorry you weren't able to get a better understanding and perhaps the parents do not yet know to give more direction to the school.

As for other nut butter suggestions - I actually prefer sunflower seed butter to other "nut" butters.

I have never tried it, but, like I like sunflower seeds a lot! So if DS1 doesn't like it I will!!
I just read it has more fiber and protien than other nut butters. Any particular brands/stores that are your favorite?

KpbS
02-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Sunbutter brand is delicious and they have several varieties.

Blakes Mommy
02-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Sunbutter brand is delicious and they have several varieties.

Thanks for the recomendation! I will try it.

MSWR0319
02-22-2013, 10:56 AM
We prefer Wowbutter ( soy butter ) to the sunbutters. So that might be another option if the sunbutters don't work. Sounds like its a big mess and no one knows what's going on. I feel bad for everyone involved, theres a lot of mistakes that could happen since no one is clear.

Clarity
02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
We use sunbutter too and love it. Non-allergic dd did NOT like sunbutter at first, she was used to the taste of peanut butter. We went a few months without peanut butter and then tried sunbutter again with success.

marymoo86
02-22-2013, 12:02 PM
I have never tried it, but, like I like sunflower seeds a lot! So if DS1 doesn't like it I will!!
I just read it has more fiber and protien than other nut butters. Any particular brands/stores that are your favorite?

I usually buy the TJ's brand of sunbutter.

scrooks
02-22-2013, 12:03 PM
My kids like sunbutter too. We buy the earthfare store brand. One of our sitter kids has a peanut allergy and the only time they get it is when they go to the sitters. My kids get peanut butter at home and don't really notice the difference. Apparently the sitter uses soy butter which they also eat.

Sorry you didn't get any real answers on the allergy. It sounds like just knowing the specific ingredient would help you out a lot!

TwinFoxes
02-22-2013, 12:13 PM
DDs like almond butter. We get the Marantha brand from Costco. They were not involved in latest recall.

Personally I hate sunbutter. Blech.

nfceagles
02-22-2013, 02:48 PM
My PA DS does not like Sunbutter, but my non-allergic DD, DH, and I all love it. We also like Don't Go Nuts Chocolate Soybutter. I get it from Amazon and it reminds me of Reese's PB cups in a blender. The Nutritional Facts aren't that different from Sunbutter either.

jjordan
02-22-2013, 03:05 PM
We have a local nut butter company (Once Again Nut Butter (http://onceagainnutbutter.com/)) and I like their sunbutter. Retail store locator here (http://onceagainnutbutter.com/Store_Locator.html) if you want to try it out.

Kindra178
02-22-2013, 04:37 PM
I like almond butter and cashew butter as well as sunbutter. TJs brand is good as are the Sunbutter brand ones. Sunbutter actually makes a no sugar one, which I am learning to like. Still working on changing the kids' attitudes though.

maestramommy
02-22-2013, 05:30 PM
I get the TJs Sunbutter. DD1 brings it for lunch, and she likes it.

MamaMolly
02-22-2013, 07:28 PM
We have a local nut butter company (Once Again Nut Butter (http://onceagainnutbutter.com/)) and I like their sunbutter. Retail store locator here (http://onceagainnutbutter.com/Store_Locator.html) if you want to try it out.

Oddly enough this was the only sunflower seed butter we could get here in Puerto Rico for a long time. I really like the company and the sunflower seed butter, though it isn't as smooth as the original Sunbutter brand. I called about their peanut processing and they very patiently and kindly explained that the peanuts are processed on completely different equipment in a completely different building than the lines that run the sunflower seed butter. :applause:

MaraNatha has a 'may contain peanuts' warning on the label, so it is a no-go for us. Of course, DH bought it without bothering to read the label. He was excited that there is another brand here now. But I'm a bit :irked: that he brought it home. Ah well, lesson learned. He won't be doing that again.

PZMommy
02-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Here is the update...I talked to someone at school yestarday. I wanted to post, but, just had a crazy day! Anyway, I didn't find out the mysterious ingredient and maybe people don't know (including the parents). I was told that they have just seen an issue with cheesy type crackers. This really stinks since I would like to replace the item with maybe something similar that doesn't have the ingredient. I am betting it's annatto. They said I could send wheat thins and I said well they have the ingredient that I think may be the issue and the school said I shouldn't worry about it and just stay away from cheesy type crackers. So I really don't know if it's the cheese or the coloring! Something like cheddar pirates booty doesn't have annatto, but wheat thins which is not cheesy does. The administator asked me if this was the first I heard of this allergy in the class and I said yes. I think I was supposed to be told before. She said she will try to find out, but, I am betting I just can't send cheesy crackers/ snacks and may send something else just as bad! Crazy!

My son is in a small specialized school and the ratio is like 2 students to one staff so this really shouldn't be an issue. My son told me he did not share with the FA kid and the other kid basically took/stole it from his lunch box! He said he only got one....I guess this may be an issue of behavior with the other student. I was told that the school isn't totally clear about this allergy and she had even spoke to the nursing office and they just said no cheese crakers. She also said it may be just a temporary thing, as in they may make some type exceptions later or something. I was also told they are just peanut free and any other nut is okay like sandwiches made with other butters. This was pretty suprising to me since I thought a lot of people may be allergic to other nuts as well. Not sure if my son will like other butters....just curious anyone have recomendations of ones they/kids like?

Basically I really didn't find out what I wanted and it is kind of frustrating since i am not sure if I am sending safe or unsafe foods in.

I'm sorry, and probably in the minority here. If this kid doesn't have a contact anaphalytic reaction, and it is only because HE TOOK your son's snack, I'd be having a fit. I'd be demanding more information from the school, and also what are they (the school and his parents) doing to prevent him from taking your son's snack again.

crl
02-22-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm sorry, and probably in the minority here. If this kid doesn't have a contact anaphalytic reaction, and it is only because HE TOOK your son's snack, I'd be having a fit. I'd be demanding more information from the school, and also what are they (the school and his parents) doing to prevent him from taking your son's snack again.

I definitely see your point. But I wonder (and I'm not necessarily asking the OPer to answer) if the FA kid is special needs. I wonder because OPer mentioned her child is. And that kind of impulse control/boundrary problem can be an issue for some special needs kids. If so and this is a public school placement, then I think the school has an obligation to provide a safe environment for the child while they work on the impulse control and/boundaries issue. So the ban may make sense if that is the context.

Catherine

♥ms.pacman♥
02-22-2013, 10:04 PM
I get the TJs Sunbutter. DD1 brings it for lunch, and she likes it.

both my kids like TJ's sunbutter and they get sunbutter & jelly sandwiches for school. they seem to like it. i personally can't stand the smell of it.

lisams
02-22-2013, 11:23 PM
What would bother me is finding out this way. If there is a child who has a serious allergic reaction to Goldfish crackers, wouldn't that be something all parents in the class should know about at the beginning of the school year? I mean, there are so many commonly used ingredients in Goldfish, it would leave me wondering what else I can't pack. Goldfish crackers are a very common snack for young children, I can't imagine this is the first time this has happened.

I think it's reasonable to ask the teacher for more information (the ingredient that the child is allergic to and if there are any other restrictions, etc.).

LizLemon
02-23-2013, 12:47 AM

There isn't even any information that this is a serious allergic reaction. If we are going to start restricting what kids can bring to school based on any level of allergy there is going to be nothing level.

Blakes Mommy
02-23-2013, 10:55 AM
I definitely see your point. But I wonder (and I'm not necessarily asking the OPer to answer) if the FA kid is special needs. I wonder because OPer mentioned her child is. And that kind of impulse control/boundrary problem can be an issue for some special needs kids. If so and this is a public school placement, then I think the school has an obligation to provide a safe environment for the child while they work on the impulse control and/boundaries issue. So the ban may make sense if that is the context.

Catherine

Yes the FA kid is special needs, and not really verbal. The school is a private placement. Although my son is high functioning and is on level academically he had to go there because of other issues (behavior). He was having issues with the teachers at the public school since they weren't trained to deal with him and had no program and of course didn't address these issues when he was 3 and 4 and more easily trainable! That is a whole separate post entirely! ARGH! Unfortunately, this went on for a couple years until he got to a really good school. He gets a ton of attention and has great staff now, but, the downside is a great number of the kids are not "like" him. A lot of the children are there since they can't keep up academically in a public school. There are a few kids similar to my son, but, they are in the minority. I am sure the FA child has no idea that he even had an allergy and they are trying to keep him safe. They recently switched a couple kids around since they had one class of very verbal kids and one class of non verbal kids. I think they are trying to put a couple of the kids with the not so verbal kids to be role models. That is why I didn't know before since this change just happened a couple weeks ago. I agree that I should have been told of the switch and the allergy issue before they spent time together.

I totally "get" the issue, but, I would still like to know more since I still have no clue what is safe or not! I have parent teacher calls on Wednesday morning so I will try to find out more then. So far I have talked to another staff member of the school, she visits the classes but is not in the classrooms all the time. I am not sure if the teacher can even tell me anything (privacy issues) Private schools, especially this type of school is very different than public school. You can't even take picture/ Movies when at a school event. Kind of stinks since a couple weeks ago they had a performance and I would have loved a video of my son especially when he sang all by himself, but, I rather have him where he is getting proper programming than at his old school where they had no clue!