PDA

View Full Version : S/O: Are food allergies more prevalent today?

queenmama
02-20-2013, 07:31 PM
I never knew that so many families dealt with food allergies until I started coming here regularly. I am feeling indescribably thankful that (A) DS doesn't have food allergies or sensitivities and (B) nor have any of his classmates in nine years.

I can't imagine how you FA parents deal. Worrying every second -- namely when your kids are out of your sight -- that they might eat or come into contact with something that could harm them, or worse.

Having said all of that, I wonder whether FA are more common nowadays? When I was a kid I knew a few people who were allergic to eggs or strawberries or nuts or dairy, but this was just a handful or two of kids.

So are FA more prevalent today, for some reason? Or have they been misdiagnosed (or undiagnosed) in years past?

Are there recommendations to prevent FA or is it something you're born with? As I said, DS has no issues with this, but reading all of the FA posts here have made me paranoid about feeding DD, and frankly, kind of glad she still isn't interested in solids!

Lara

maestramommy
02-20-2013, 07:33 PM
To ME it seems like there are way more than when I was a kid. But I don't know if that is just anecdotal or if it's a documented fact. Certainly when I was a kid there were no foods not allowed in class.

scrooks
02-20-2013, 07:37 PM
To ME it seems like there are way more than when I was a kid. But I don't know if that is just anecdotal or if it's a documented fact. Certainly when I was a kid there were no foods not allowed in class.

:yeahthat: I agree with this. It seems so much more common. I don't remember any one with food allergies growing up. I really feel for FA parents. I can't imagine worrying all the time that a certain food could kill your child.

brittone2
02-20-2013, 07:41 PM
I think they are more common. I've seen all kinds of speculation about causes ranging from the hygiene hypothesis to what flora a child's intestinal track is colonized with (which can also be related to things like the higher c/s rates today). I'm sure the food allergy parents can speak to more on the research.

o_mom
02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
I think it is a combination of things, including increased incidence. However, I think that some of it is increased awareness. In the past there was also much less known about the progression of allergic reactions - that someone could go from just hives to anaphylaxis on the next contact - and so there was less worry about that. Now, most are treated as if they could become anaphylactic at any time. Also, epi-pens were not around until 1980 or later, so even if it was suspected someone could be anaphylactic, they wouldn't have anything special but to avoid the allergen. The better testing we have now, RAST for example, can identify someone who has never had a reaction. In the past they may have gone years without knowing if they didn't have a severe reaction, where now they are told to avoid it all. This is all speculation on my part, but I can see how many of these could push allergies from undiagnosed/unknown to known.

And, of course, the internet makes the world seem smaller. :)

AnnieW625
02-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Besides my mom not being able to stomach a glass of milk (cooked milk, cheese, cottage cheese, and ice cream every so often are okay) for as long as I can remember (we brought her cheerios with milk in bed one day, I was probably 6-8 yrs. old) no one in my immediate family has any allergies. My cousin has a walnut allergy, other than that nada. I never had any friends with allergies either. I didn't like peanut butter until jr. high and I used to joke in elementary school that I was allergic to peanuts when people asked me why I just brought a jelly sandwich. I had a teacher who was allergic to chocolate my senior year of high school. Other than that never heard of many food issues other than maybe seafood. We are about the same age I think. I was born in 1977.

In DD1's class there have been no students with a food allergies at all which really suprises me because it is in a middle to upper income area and no flames but that seems to be the demographic of people who have food allergies. Last year there was a boy in one of the other k-3 grades who had a peanut allergy and he went to after care, but again I was really surprised there weren't more. So far I have known through my mom group, one child with a strawberry allergy, and the other kid with a peanut allergy. Both families have never had any allergy issues, and their other kids don't have any allergies. DH's cousin kid though is allergic to soy, wheat, peanuts, and dairy. DH's cousin has no allergies, and neither does his wife. They are Mexican, and Chinese. One dad in my Stroller Stride's Group has a peanut allergy and he is in his late 30s. His kids have never had peanuts. None of the kids in DD2's daycare have nut allergies, although one has some sort of dairy allergy so he drinks goat milk, and my DD2 drinks Lactaid or soy milk because her poop is nasty when she drinks cows milk.

Both DH and I are believers that a lot of the new found allergies are due to people withholding especially when there isn't a family history of allergies. We tested both DDs with peanut butter at about 9 months old. I think I did eggs with DD1 at a year old and she never took the texture, and I noticed that her cheeks got a little flush when eating scrambled eggs. Tried eggs again at 2/1/2 and she didn't have that reaction, but then she didn't like the texture. By 18 mos. old DD1 was eating every type of nut possible, which was awesome because she didn't like meat much until she was 4. I tested DD2 with eggs at about 12 mos., and for some reason did the rest of the tree nuts at 14-16 months old.

If I were you I would start testing Agnes as soon as she starts eating regular food. I would rather have it be done at home as well vs. being out somewhere or at a party and then having shock.

maestramommy
02-20-2013, 08:14 PM
I have also read/heard that food allergies are much less common in other countries, and I'm wondering if that is well documented or just hearsay. Or due to less reporting in other countries.

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Probably my thread started this thread! I don't remember the allergies this much when I was little but, hey I am an old mom...47...so born in 1965!

I may have known a couple people that had allergies like one nuts, one lactose intolerant but that was about it! When I was little everyone brought peanut butter and jelly to school.

Besides DS1 red dye sensitivity which I don't count as a "food" allergy since it is an artificial ingredient. My kids don't seem to have any that I know of except they both didn't do well with beef baby food though and did get diaper rashes sometimes from it.

I was reading a earlier post about kids flora and increased c sections. Both my kids were c section since I had an emergency one with the first they had a scheduled one for the second one... but, they don't seem to have any real allergies.

MSWR0319
02-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Yes, FAs are more prevalent and they don't know why exactly. Our pediatric allergist is the head of a Food Allergy Clinic at a top University and they are trying to figure out what's causing them. Theres a lot of thought that "cleanliness" of our surroundings has caused some of the problems, but again not much confirmation. Peanut allergies have significantly increased.

There is no significant proof one way or the other yet that delayed withholding is causing allergies. My 9 month old reacted to eggs at 3 months through my milk. He has tested positive. So in that case I didn't delay at all. DS has a severe peanut allergy and has never even had a peanut in his mouth. He reacted with full body hives after DH picked him up out of his high chair after eating PB toast. My husband nor I have food allergies, but we do have season allergies.

ETA: I was cross posting with above. Food allergies are actually fairly common in other countries as well. Here's a quick article I googled http://www.foodsmatter.com/allergy_intolerance/miscellaneous/articles/food_allergy_india.html but I've read many other stories as well. Our allergist said that Canada is so far ahead of the US as far as labeling,etc goes and gave us literature from Canada because he feels they do it better.

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 08:23 PM
I have also read/heard that food allergies are much less common in other countries, and I'm wondering if that is well documented or just hearsay. Or due to less reporting in other countries.

Maybe we are just so paranoid to how we feed them when they are babies and in other countries they just give them whatever. I know they have changed it recently but when my kids were babies 2005, 2007. They said to only feed one food at a time and no peanuts until 2 I think. I even heard no peanut butter while pregnant, but, that was after I had them so I ate peanut butter while pregnant and they aren't allergic. Maybe if you wait to long to expose them to something they develop any allergy. I am by no means a doctor just thinking that maybe in other countries they are exposed to different foods or a variety of foods earlier.

Blakes Mommy
02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Yes, FAs are more prevalent and they don't know why exactly. Our pediatric allergist is the head of a Food Allergy Clinic at a top University and they are trying to figure out what's causing them. Theres a lot of thought that "cleanliness" of our surroundings has caused some of the problems, but again not much confirmation. Peanut allergies have significantly increased.

There is no significant proof one way or the other yet that delayed withholding is causing allergies. My 9 month old reacted to eggs at 3 months through my milk. He has tested positive. So in that case I didn't delay at all. DS has a severe peanut allergy and has never even had a peanut in his mouth. He reacted with full body hives after DH picked him up out of his high chair after eating PB toast. My husband nor I have food allergies, but we do have season allergies.

Just read your post after mine and this definitely blows my theory out of the water. Maybe the cleanliness thing is true. As a kid we never used hand sanitizer all the time or washed constantly because we may catch something! Of course we washed after playing outside before meals. I am just as guilty of this with the wet ones etc... Hey when I was a kid in school we were never taught to cough into our arm or anything like that!!

Green_Tea
02-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Our pediatrician's theory is that food allergies are the result of a bored immune system that misinterprets harmless things as a threat. She thinks this is a result of overuse of antibiotics and antibacterials, and the huge increase in immunizations that children receive. She also thinks that genetically modified foods might be playing a role. I found her take on it fascinating, because she's not anti-vax and anti-antibiotic AT ALL, but is also willing to wait things out a bit. Many of the most common allergens of today (and those in which we have seen a huge uptick in allergies to) are largely genetically modified or dosed with antibiotics - wheat, soy, peanuts, eggs, milk, etc.

I have no food allergies. My grandmother developed an allergy to seafood as a senior citizen. My husband is allergic to all nuts, but not peanuts. DD1 is allergic to peanuts, and outgrew allergies to dairy, soy and eggs. She had an anaphylactic reaction to dairy at 8 months, and had to be transported to the ER via ambulance. There is nothing scarier than a baby that can't breathe, so yeah, I do get a little heated when people suggest that perhaps we are overreacting when it comes to restricting allergens. My own FIL got into a fight with me at dinner when I explained that my 1 year old DD couldn't have butter on her bread. FIL insisted that butter isn't dairy, so she'd be fine. :dizzy::dizzy: It can be hard NOT to be defensive about your kid's allergies when so many people assume they understand but they really just don't.

ETA: Our ped recommends letting kids eat with dirty hands once in a while. This drives my FIL NUTS. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy his reaction!

TxCat
02-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Our pediatrician's theory is that food allergies are the result of a bored immune system that misinterprets harmless things as a threat. She thinks this is a result of overuse of antibiotics and antibacterials, and the huge increase in immunizations that children receive. She also thinks that genetically modified foods might be playing a role. I found her take on it fascinating, because she's not anti-vax and anti-antibiotic AT ALL, but is also willing to wait things out a bit. Many of the most common allergens of today (and those in which we have seen a huge uptick in allergies to) are largely genetically modified or dosed with antibiotics - wheat, soy, peanuts, eggs, milk, etc.

When I was in my first year of medical school, one of our main professors of cell biology was a huge proponent of the cleanliness theory of allergy development. His lecture on it was memorable to every new class because he tied it in with describing how excited he was to come home one day and find his 2 year old and 3 year old outside playing with cat poop in the yard - his theory being that the more exposure his kids received to various types of "dirt", the better. I have to admit, his lectures made an impact on me. While I won't go as far as he did (no playing in the litterbox for DD!), I am fairly relaxed about DD playing in dirt, eating things that have fallen on the floor, etc. There's no guarantee that will help, but I'm hoping for the best.

And yes, FA's have increased, both statistically and anecdotally. I'm 35 and when I was growing up, I don't remember any food allergies in my classmates - and considering I routinely ate peanut butter and strawberry preserve sandwiches until middle school, I would have definitely remembered having those banned. And I had exposure to a fairly large sample size during that time as well - 11-12 different schools across 5 states in 6 years.

Some articles discussing the increased prevalence:

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2008/12/29/hlsa1229.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db10.htm

http://www.familypracticenews.com/news/more-top-news/single-view/food-allergies-up-33-in-us-kids/ce53cf0932.html

Simon
02-20-2013, 10:14 PM
We have fairly significant allergies in Ds3 and he's exposed to plenty of dirt and not a lot of hand sanitizer, etc. We also don't/didn't withhold allergenic foods but he reacted to dairy and probably soy in my breastmilk and had allergic hive reactions to skin contact with foods before he was even old enough to eat solids.

Momit
02-20-2013, 10:41 PM

We absolutely saw this when we lived overseas. DS attended a preschool there with about 75 kids, and not one allergy. Here, each class in his preschool has several signs up for the various food allergies in the class and the entire facility is nut free.

Our pediatrician there looked at me like I was insane when I asked if it was ok to introduce nuts and shellfish to DS at about 18 months old.

I also remember that my German friends talked about American tourists and their constant use of hand sanitizer. It is not uncommon there for public restrooms to have only cold water in the faucet - if you can even find a public restroom, that is.

MSWR0319
02-21-2013, 11:05 AM
This article popped up today on one of the allergy feeds I get. I thought it was timely to this discussion. I don't really know the accuracy of the source, but thought it was interesting nonetheless.
http://www.naturalnews.com/039192_peanut_oil_vaccines_allergies.html

squimp
02-21-2013, 11:21 AM
There was a study of Amish farm children last summer that supported the hygiene theory, where kids on farms have lower allergy rates.

I know milk allergies or intolerances were common when I was a kid, my best friend had them. I do not recall other allergies though. I am am old mom too. :)

sste
02-21-2013, 11:28 AM
I do think they are increasing and don't know why.

I think *part* of the increase is lots more testing and that the tests can be oversensitive, have false positives etc. We asked our pedi if we should have DS allergy tested preventively (he hadn't had any allergic rx or indicators or family history). He was adamant that in our case we should not -- he said all kind of things could light up positive on the test that might never give DS an issue or that he might outgrow. But once they are positive on the test of course a responsible parent has to make sure there is no exposure or limit it depending on the allergen.

MSWR0319
02-21-2013, 11:42 AM

I think *part* of the increase is lots more testing and that the tests can be oversensitive, have false positives etc. We asked our pedi if we should have DS allergy tested preventively (he hadn't had any allergic rx or indicators or family history). He was adamant that in our case we should not -- he said all kind of things could light up positive on the test that might never give DS an issue or that he might outgrow. But once they are positive on the test of course a responsible parent has to make sure there is no exposure or limit it depending on the allergen.

I think this is part of it also. DS's RAST test showed milk, wheat, peanut, and dog. Our allergist asked if he seemed to have any problems with milk and wheat and I said no. He lives on dairy! He said they were more than likely false positives then so not to worry about them unless something comes up. The numbers were classified as a level 2 or 3 I think, but still he has no reactions. If you don't have an allergy educated doctor reading the results, I can see how you easily could be told you have an "allergy" when you don't. Again, it's the thought that reaction trumps results.

Green_Tea
02-21-2013, 11:46 AM

I totally agree. DD1 is allergic to peanuts, and we know because she's had an actually anaphylactic reaction to them. Previously she was also allergic to eggs, milk and soy - again, with reactions. In spite of that, we were cautioned by several doctors not to take blood and skin tests TOO seriously, or to over test or go looking for additional allergens. When I has skin tests done back in the late 90s, I tested as being allergic to almost 75 different allergens - most of which I have absolutely no problem tolerating. I always cringe a little when I hear of a parent avoiding something like eggs based on the results of blood or skin tests, but in the absence of a reaction when ingested. I think there's been an explosion in the number of people seeking the tests for their kids, and it's resulted in an inflated number of kids with "allergies" - and as a result, people kind of start rolling their eyes because, as people have pointed out in this thread and others - it seems like every kid is allergic to something. This creates an even MORE dangerous environment for kids at risk of having a life threatening reaction to an allergen.

icunurse
02-21-2013, 12:06 PM
I think that they are, but I also think that they are over reported. Too many people call a sensitivity an allergy. My Dd gets an upset stomach with too much dairy and had to be on special formula as an infant....that's a sensitivity. Ibuprofen causes you to have an upset stomach? Sensitivity. If I place an adhesive bandaid on myself, I get a rash in that area....sensitivity. I see so many people insisting they have allergies to everyday things (potassium, iron, etc) when, in fact, it is a side-effect or just a sensitivity.

My brother is highly asthmatic and allergic to peanuts, pet dander, and a million other things (stuff that showed up on his allergy tests, but really don't affect him much - eggs used to make him vomit, but he outgrew it). We grew up in a household with peanuts, peanut butter, pets; we read labels before it was cool; school had zero food restrictions and no epi pens at that time. He isn't the most responsible person, but after a horrible reaction to peanuts, he learned enough to know not to eat certain things, wash his hands, etc. A huge portion of allergy safety is personal education and prevention.

infocrazy
02-21-2013, 12:10 PM
If you don't have an allergy educated doctor reading the results, I can see how you easily could be told you have an "allergy" when you don't. Again, it's the thought that reaction trumps results.

DS1 ate a granola bar at ~3 and told me his throat was itchy. He had had the brand but not the flavor. I compared the ingredients and only almonds were different. I couldn't remember if he had almonds before. I had him tested and was shocked that he tested positive for allergy to almonds, coconut, brazil nuts, and hazel nuts. It was a very odd testing that I doubted from the day of, but when someone hands you an epi-pen, you pay attention! In any case, we kept him nut free for a year until a soccer snack of chex mix. I told him no because it has almond flour, and he told me he ate a whole bowl at his cousin's party...which he did! So I took him somewhere else and he tested negative for everything. He LOVES nuts now! Hates peanut butter though.

DH has oral allergy syndrome. If he eats some melons, and a few other things I can't remember, his mouth/throat itches.
I'm allergic to sulfas, and can't use adhesive band-aids or especially that horrible medical tape with lines!!! The recovery from that when they used it for my first epidural was worse than my C/S recovery!!!

dhano923
02-21-2013, 12:12 PM
I had food allergies as a kid - I was allergic to chocolate and peanuts. That included peanut oil. I was the only kid in my elementary school who had a food allergy. I outgrew it in junior high but I don't remember any of my friends having any kind of allergies to food items.

dogmom
02-21-2013, 12:31 PM
I think it's at least three things, maybe four.

1) Like ICU nurse said, I think people mix up sensitivities with true allergies. I know I get this whole list of "allergies" for medications, like sleepiness to morphine. NOT AN ALLERGY! That's a side effect. I have know parents who have branded their kid allergic to something with pretty thin evidence and no allergy testing. If I had a kid that had a severe FA that would piss me off to no end. Comparing a kid who has diagnosed celiac disease with a biopsy, will have lifetime complications, and the whole work up to someone who read an article about gluten and decided to make her family gluten free is not the same evidenced based approach. Of course the last time I suggested this issue years ago on the board I got blasted, so blast away.

2) I think the medical profession gave out bad advice about food and kids based on no evidence. There was the whole "Don't feed you kids peanut butter until they are 3!" Well, research now suggest that might cause allergies.

3) Yes, microbes. I do think if you immune system is busy with stuff it will attacks something else. The IgE antibody that is involved in many allergic reactions probably has a role to play in fighting gut parasites, guess what we don't have a lot of right now. For example, many vets feel that since dogs don't have as many parasites now they are more prone to autoimmune systems. There are many cases of parasites keeping other autoimmune diseases in check because the body is busy fighting something else. Here's a great article about this emerging area of medicine. I found the part about H.pylori fascinating.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/10/22/121022fa_fact_specter

4) There is a lot of theories about food additives, GMO, etc. I'm not blowing it all off, but I find some of the claims a little hyperbole based on some thin evidence. So it is hard to tell how this contributes.

crl
02-21-2013, 01:11 PM
I think at least part of it is increased diagnosis.

Ds had eczema and GI distress. He tested positive for a milk allergy. We did a trial of no milk at all and both symptoms improved. We reintroduced milk and both symptoms worsened. Our allergist said that GI distress could be either an allergy symptom or an intolerance symptom, but coupled with the eczema and the positive test, it meant allergy.

I don't think anyone would have even considered an "allergy" as a possibility two decades ago with ds' symptoms. I suspect people in his situation would have just eventually avoided milk as they go old enough to recognize that milk made them feel bad.

I imagine the exposure thing could be true statistically, but it's not anecdotally in our case. Ds was adopted at 13.5 months from an orphanage in China and he had already been exposed to nuts, shellfish and milk as far as we could tell. (Definitely to milk as he was on milk based formula.).

I also wonder a bit if as medical treatment has improved more people have survived allergies and then they reproduce and pass the genes along so that over time more people have the genetic susceptibility to allergies?

I also agree that some people mix up sensitivity/intolerance/side effect with allergy. Sometimes deliberately to make sure people take them seriously. When I give my medical history, I always distinguish between allergy (allergic to tetracycline-rash) and side effect (can't tolerate e-Mycin or NSAIDs--severe stomach distress and at least one NSAID has caused mouth ulcers for me). But I have had care providers act very surprised that I distinguish this way so I gather many people do not.

Catherine

vonfirmath
02-21-2013, 02:29 PM
I also agree that some people mix up sensitivity/intolerance/side effect with allergy. Sometimes deliberately to make sure people take them seriously. When I give my medical history, I always distinguish between allergy (allergic to tetracycline-rash) and side effect (can't tolerate e-Mycin or NSAIDs--severe stomach distress and at least one NSAID has caused mouth ulcers for me). But I have had care providers act very surprised that I distinguish this way so I gather many people do not.

Catherine

It doesn't help when the DOCTOR tells you you have an allergy even when you are still thinking "Intolerance? Side effect?" I emphasize at daycare that, so far, my girl does not have a life threatening reaction to dairy but I still need it avoided because the reaction she DOES have is quite unpleasant.

o_mom
02-21-2013, 02:35 PM
It doesn't help when the DOCTOR tells you you have an allergy even when you are still thinking "Intolerance? Side effect?" I emphasize at daycare that, so far, my girl does not have a life threatening reaction to dairy but I still need it avoided because the reaction she DOES have is quite unpleasant.

No kidding. I tell HCPs I will puke with relatively low doses of narcotics and they try to stick allergy labels all over my chart... I'm like, no, I'm not allergic, just don't give them to me unless necessary and preferably along with something for the puking.

queenmama
02-21-2013, 05:25 PM
This has been super fascinating to read! I appreciate all of your responses!

Yes, I was born in 1977. So strange that, for whatever reason, we just didn't hear of many food allergies or sensitivities.

We will proceed slowly and cautiously with new foods and have her tested if we see any kind of reaction. It just scares me when they're so little... They can't exactly tell you that their throats are itchy or whatever. Yikes.

Thanks again for your replies!

Lara

MontrealMum
02-21-2013, 06:18 PM

:yeahthat: I've tested positive (a 4) 2x to strawberries and cantaloupe yet I've never had any sort of allergic reaction to either one. And a 4 is pretty darned high. Being anaphylactic to other things I'm fairly familiar with different levels of reactions, so I'm guessing it's a false positive.

On a completely different subject, does anyone here remember the article/study that was published a few years back regarding the differences in how peanut butter was processed in the US vs. (IIRC) Israel? For some reason I think I heard about that here - like with most of the news I get ;) And I think that the upshot was that they think there are fewer peanut allergies in Israel because of the different way in which the peanuts are processed. It stuck in my mind because I was surprised that there was much call for any peanut butter in Israel at all. Having lived in Europe for a time I had always thought of peanut butter as a very North American food.

crayonblue
02-21-2013, 06:22 PM
I can't imagine how you FA parents deal. Worrying every second -- namely when your kids are out of your sight -- that they might eat or come into contact with something that could harm them, or worse.

Yes, it certainly seems that food allergies are more common these days. Or they are diagnosed more often.

I quoted what you said above because not all FA parents worry every second. DD1 is allergic to peanuts. We have an epi-pen, she sits at the peanut-free table at school, she knows to not eat anything without checking labels, etc. I very rarely even think about her allergy to be perfectly honest. But, this may have come with time...perhaps I was more worried when she was younger. I can't remember!