PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider this to be unsafe for an infant?

L'sMommy
02-20-2013, 11:00 PM
DS2 falls asleep in my arms and wakes every time I put him in his crib. Part of the reason is that the crib sheets are cold. Today I decided to lay a thin blanket on top of the sheet and tuck it in between the mattress and slats so it cannot move. It's warmer than the crib sheet. Is this a really bad idea? The blanket isn't fluffy, is tucked tightly, and the baby is swaddled (arms in) and has not learned to roll over.

StantonHyde
02-20-2013, 11:01 PM
I got flannel crib sheets for this reason.

wellyes
02-20-2013, 11:04 PM
I would think a swaddled baby would not need a sheet at all, since the warmth of the blanket plus his own body heat should keep him comfy. Or, maybe a blanket sleeper on top of the swaddle?

I don't think what you're doing sounds dangerous (it sounds like you're being very smart about it), but I'd probably try to avoid blankets anyway, if the baby is very small.

ArizonaGirl
02-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Another thought that we have started doing is placing a heating pad over the appropriate area of the crib mattress and turning it on before we start the bedtime routine. By the time she is asleep or drowsy we quickly turn it off and remove it and the bed is toasty warm.

Just a thought...

JBaxter
02-20-2013, 11:07 PM
I did it all the time with my 4 in the winter. 3 of mine were also tummy sleepers.

Green_Tea
02-20-2013, 11:07 PM
I got flannel crib sheets for this reason.

:yeahthat: Me too! Although what the OP is describing sounds fine to me. Lots of people put their babies to sleep on lambskins like this: http://www.novanatural.com/growing/bath-and-bedtime/lambskin-comforter-581.html

A lightweight hat on baby's head can also help.

mypa
02-20-2013, 11:08 PM
For a newborn, no problem. This is what they do in the hospital, just tuck in a flannel receiving blanket.

For when they are a little older (when baby's arm starts escaping from the swaddle) I would use flannel or velour crib sheets.

DD is using the PBK chamois (and generic velour) crib sheets and has been since she was an infant (I found these for $1 at a thrift store). She also hated cold sheets as a baby.

essnce629
02-21-2013, 02:55 AM
We also used the PBK chamois sheets or another velour sheet-- they never get cold to the touch.

maestramommy
02-21-2013, 08:55 AM
I think it is fine. I hear you on the cold sheets. When we used to visit my parents my mom would lay a (thick) blanket on top of the pnp mattress, partly for cushyness and partly for warmth.

kara97210
02-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Another thought that we have started doing is placing a heating pad over the appropriate area of the crib mattress and turning it on before we start the bedtime routine. By the time she is asleep or drowsy we quickly turn it off and remove it and the bed is toasty warm.

We did the same thing using a hot water bottle (like the kind you'd use for a sore back). We filled it with very hot water and put it in the bed for 10-15 minutes before bedtime. We'd take the bottle out right before putting the baby down.

AnnieW625
02-21-2013, 10:24 AM
We had a PBK flannel sheet, which they unfortunately no longer make, and my kids lived in fleece Carter's footsie pjs during the colder months or a fleece sleep sack with long sleeve cotton pjs.

I think what you are doing is fine.

BabbyO
02-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Flannel sheets and/or fleece PJs/Sleep sack....I still do this for my 3.5 yo....it is COLD in our bedrooms at night.

I'm 99% certain I got our flannel sheets from BRU or BabyDepot/Burlington Coat Factory

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2013, 12:55 PM
We always used a blanket with ds2.