PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy? Wisdom tooth extraction

Mommy_Mea
02-21-2013, 07:00 AM
I am having my one, single, wisdom tooth extracted this afternoon. It is fully extruded, like any other molar. The doctors office said that it is local anesthesia, and I will be able to drive home after. If they find it to be anything other than extruded, the appointment will just become a consultation, and I will come back another time for the extraction.

The doctors office is close to my office, but 30 minutes from home. DH offered to pick me up, but I said that was silly, I can drive myself home. I have done so with local anesthesia after a cavity filling.

Am I crazy? For those of you with extractions of fully extruded wisdom teeth, was driving a big deal? Thanks!

1964pandora
02-21-2013, 07:28 AM
I drove myself home with no problems. Good luck!

brittone2
02-21-2013, 07:53 AM
I had two sets of two wisdom teeth (non impacted) extracted with a local. It was no big deal in my case, even though I apparently grow huge wisdom teeth for a person my size LOL. The most annoying part for me was them tugging because my roots were huge, and one root was kind of bent/twisted. So I had to try to keep my head stable while they were moving things around; not painful, but that was the toughest part TBH.

I didn't need pain meds afterward, didn't swell much, and went rock climbing the next day.

Best of luck! I hope it is a smooth procedure for you.

gcc2k
02-21-2013, 08:45 AM

:yeahthat:

I had all 4 pulled with just a local, drove home, (this was when I was 18 and still living at home so my parents were ok with it) ate some yogurt which I dribbled all down the front of myself since I couldn't feel my face, didn't swell or experience much pain, and went sightseeing all day in DC the next day. All in all I had a pretty ideal experience.

stinkyfeet
02-21-2013, 10:44 AM
I think you should be fine driving home with local anesthesia (am a dentist).

But I do have to mention that I had a teenage girl who just had her wisdom teeth taken our with local anesthesia rear-end me a few years ago in my brand new Lexus (before I wised up and got a minivan!) while I was pregnant. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to have someone drive you, but if it's inconvenient, you should be perfectly well to drive yourself home.

arivecchi
02-21-2013, 11:03 AM
:yeahthat: I had mine taken out a couple of months ago.

Tinkerbell313
02-21-2013, 11:28 AM
I just had my upper right wisdom tooth removed on Tuesday. I drove myself home no problem. Actually, I went to Costco first...spent lots of money and then drove myself home. The only inconvenience was the gauze in my mouth. No pain meds were necessary.

I was actually commenting to the nurse on how a tooth extraction is different from a regular doctor visit. With the tooth extraction at an oral surgeon's office, you do not have that relationship with the office like you do with all other MDs offices. In fact, unless I have another tooth pulled, I will never see that office nor that MD again.

Mommy_Mea
02-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone! Things got crazy at work, but I did see most of the responses. The tooth extraction was no problem, I was able to drive myself and stop by the grocery store on the way home :-) ds1 thinks the tooth is the coolest thing, and the oral surgeon sent me home with a quart of ice cream! Score!