PDA

View Full Version : Grey paint color you like?! Please help!

kellij
02-21-2013, 10:47 AM
We have guys coming today to remove wallpaper and texture and tomorrow they will paint. It will be ds2's room that will also be for guests. We have sherwin Williams paint. I picked out a gray and got a sample and I think it looks weird, so now I need to pick out something quickly. If you have a different brand I could probably match it up at Sherwin Williams. The walls are 12x 12 and there are two windows. Thanks!

1964pandora
02-21-2013, 10:52 AM
I just used SW Gray Ashlar in two bathrooms and I love it. I wish I had used it in the rest of the house too.

sophiesmom03
02-21-2013, 11:09 AM
There are so many grays - do you have pics of bedding/decor? How is the light and which way do the windows face? What feeling are you going for?

KLD313
02-21-2013, 11:15 AM
There are so many grays - do you have pics of bedding/decor? How is the light and which way do the windows face? What feeling are you going for?

Yeah, gray has so many other colors it takes on and a plain gray cam end up looking like sheet rock.

Simon
02-21-2013, 11:15 AM
I like the gray paint and other neutrals she used at Housetweaking (http://www.housetweaking.com/see-my-house/). She has plenty of photos and lists the paint and trim colors she used.

egoldber
02-21-2013, 11:16 AM
We are using SW Versatile Gray in our house, but it is a warm/beige-y gray vs a cool gray.

Here are some popular grays.....

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/2901301/list/50-Shades-of-Gray

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/568579/list/Guest-Picks--Find-the-Right-Gray-Paint

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/5513426/list/Color-Guide--How-to-Work-With-Light-Gray

westwoodmom04
02-21-2013, 11:16 AM
I painted my bedroom and attached room gray owl, it is a sw color. It was recc. in a home decorating article in the washington post, and in a number of blogs. It's a pretty light gray.

buttercup
02-21-2013, 11:28 AM
I am painting my room SW Dovetail--it is quite dark, FYI.

Another I considered was BM Dior Gray.

daniele_ut
02-21-2013, 11:30 AM
We used Behr Sparrow in the basement bathroom we finished last year. It was hard to find a grey that I liked that didn't read as lavender in there.

karin4
02-21-2013, 11:30 AM
My bedroom is SW Light French Gray, and I like it a lot. There are also lots of pictures of it online. But yeah-- grays are hard! Samples looked so different on the wall, and at different times of the day as the light changed.

kellij
02-21-2013, 12:24 PM
I got gray clouds and it is just kind of off. I'm going to check out all of your recs! His bedding is Spider-Man. So basically navy. The windows are on the south and the west.

kellij
02-21-2013, 12:55 PM
I like the gray paint and other neutrals she used at Housetweaking (http://www.housetweaking.com/see-my-house/). She has plenty of photos and lists the paint and trim colors she used.

I love all of her paint! I need to figure out if she says what they are...

fauve01
02-21-2013, 01:58 PM
we used BM Revere Pewter in our master bath, and we love it! in our room with three windows, it's a really warm gray (as opposed to some others we sampled that looked too blue gray). google Revere PEwter images to see what it looks like on a wall. :)

MizMojoLaveau
02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Check out SW Agreeable Gray or Repose Gray.

essnce629
02-21-2013, 02:55 PM
I am painting my room SW Dovetail--it is quite dark, FYI.

I really like this darker grey. I think it would go perfect in our master bathroom that has white wainscoting, white subway tile, and carrera marble.

Corie
02-21-2013, 03:36 PM
You should check out the article, "51 Shades of Gray" in the January/February
issue of HGTV magazine.

It have 51 great paint recommendations!!

flashy09
02-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Behr Stone Wall for a real grey and Behr Flint Smoke for a blue/grey is what I used. Also love Behr Light French Grey for a more subtle delicate color.

gamma
02-22-2013, 11:04 AM
I love all of her paint! I need to figure out if she says what they are...
In the sunroom section, she says she used Valspar Bonsai on the walls in most of the house.

kara97210
02-22-2013, 11:26 AM
For a light grey I love BM Grey Owl. We have also had BM Revere Pewter or Edgecomb Grey (next lighter color on Revere Pewter strip) in every house we've owned. Love it! I'd definitely consider it equal parts grey and beige, much warmer than most greys.

This blog post is funny, but also contains some good advice on greys - http://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/best-gray-paint-colors-according-to-ryan-gosling/. I really like her show on HGTV and her blog in general.

Good luck! When we painted my son's room I got 8 samples of different greys and most looked kind of weird or muddy in the room. We ended up using Grey Owl and it looks great! The lady at the paint store said she'd had people test 20-30 greys before picking one.

ckso
02-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks for posting. I've been considering using grey myself and was about to post

mackmama
02-22-2013, 12:36 PM
I love the look of the some of the darker grays posted here. What do people think about using a dark gray in a small space (with white trim, white ceiling)? We have a small LR and small master bathroom. Would a dark gray look good in either of these rooms - or make the room feel even smaller?

kellij
02-22-2013, 05:31 PM
I love the look of the some of the darker grays posted here. What do people think about using a dark gray in a small space (with white trim, white ceiling)? We have a small LR and small master bathroom. Would a dark gray look good in either of these rooms - or make the room feel even smaller?

I would definitely get a sample and paint a decent portion before you commit to the darker colors. I ended up going with one darker than the repose gray, mindful gray, it's 2 shades lighter than the darker gray mentioned above. I like darker colors so I started to do the one that is just one shade lighter than the darker gray. Anyway, my gray that is 2 shades lighter is actually pretty dark. I was surprised, even though I bought a sample, but I love the color. I think any gray on that whole card would be really pretty. At SW the samples cover 75 ft, so you can get a pretty good feel for the color.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! It really helped a lot!

essnce629
02-24-2013, 07:36 PM
we used BM Revere Pewter in our master bath, and we love it! in our room with three windows, it's a really warm gray (as opposed to some others we sampled that looked too blue gray). google Revere PEwter images to see what it looks like on a wall. :)

Bumping this because I just got a bunch of BM paint sample cards for our kitchen walls and realized that I'm almost positive that our living/dining room walls and our hallway are all painted in BM Revere Pewter! So funny! All this time I thought they were beige, but they are a cross of greyish-beige.

Corie
03-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Saw this online and I thought of this post.

Nate Berkus "go-to" gray is BM Dior Gray

http://www.aperfectgray.com/2013/01/nate-berkus-gives-me-his-go-to-gray.html

His favorite light grays are-

Benjamin Moore's Moon Shadow
Benjamin Moore's Silver Lake

zukeypur
03-13-2013, 10:34 AM
I keep coming back to this thread, and so far I've painted 12 colors on my walls. UGH!!!! I'm either going with BM Mindful Grey or Valspar Dry Riverbed (from house tweaking) in the living room. DH likes the mindful grey because its a shade lighter and makes the living room brighter, but I like the dry riverbed because its more cozy. Also, Mindful Grey looks a bit to modern to me.

In the bedroom in going with BM KEndall Charcoal or Chelsea gray, or maybe the one that's in between them on the paint strip. I'll be doing Kendall Charcoal in the bathroom for sure. The thing that is complicating my bedroom is my blue bed frame that I painted last year.

My house doesn't have a lot of windows, so I'm a little hesitant to go with the darker colors, especially since I have dark wood floors.

The funny thing is that I started out looking for a color for my laundry room and water closet that have never been painted. I was looking for a color that would match the BM Chestertown Bluff (gold) that's currently on my walls, but I have ended up revamping the whole house.

Oh, and one more thing.....I decided this week would be a good time to restrain my bathroom cabinets, which has now morphed into restraining kitchen cabinets. Gotta get it all done before the kids come back from grandparent's after spring break!