PDA

View Full Version : need help making a "costume that represents love" - another update post 14

wifecat
02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm going to an event tonight where I have to dress up in "a costume you feel best represents love." This is a family-friendly event and I was thinking that I would dress up as...a Mom!

I'm thinking of wearing an apron and having some flour on my face, maybe a tool belt of some sort, having a crown with an M on it, having pipe cleaners sticking out my hair, maybe having snacks stashed somewhere on my person - I don't know for sure.

Got any ideas?

ETA: now can you help me win said costume contest by voting for my pic on their fb page? http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151365048333725&set=a.10151362844608725.482264.82238028724&type=3&theater

rin
02-21-2013, 01:28 PM
I think that could totally work! Another idea could be to go as Cupid (wear angel wings, make a bow & arrows out of a bendy branch & some yard, w/a few sticks or dowels & feathers on the ends for arrows), wear a "toga" out of a sheet.

Not sure if it's your thing, but I might dress up as a dog for something like that. :) There's some famous quote about if you want a friend in Washington, get a dog . . .

sste
02-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Uh, what I wear every day as downtrodden, fashion-comprimised mom with no time to shop or even tie my own shoelaces while hustling kids out the door! Not to restart old board controversies (oh the yoga pants thread) but I say go with yoga pants, dansko clogs, and a ponytail . . .

wifecat
02-21-2013, 01:34 PM
I think that could totally work! Another idea could be to go as Cupid (wear angel wings, make a bow & arrows out of a bendy branch & some yard, w/a few sticks or dowels & feathers on the ends for arrows), wear a "toga" out of a sheet.

Not sure if it's your thing, but I might dress up as a dog for something like that. :) There's some famous quote about if you want a friend in Washington, get a dog . . .

I don't have all the stuff to do a Cupid or a dog (though dog would actually be so awesome)...I just found out last night about the costume part of the event, and I have no car today, a bum foot, and two kiddos to entertain...so it's gonna have to be made from stuff I have here! Hehehe...

wifecat
02-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Uh, what I wear every day as downtrodden, fashion-comprimised mom with no time to shop or even tie my own shoelaces while hustling kids out the door! Not to restart old board controversies (oh the yoga pants thread) but I say go with yoga pants, dansko clogs, and a ponytail . . .

Hehehe...I don't have a ponytail or danskos...but I've got yoga pants! ;-)

Anything else scream "Mom" - but like, super mom who's ready for any scenario?

sste
02-21-2013, 01:54 PM
You could put a cape over the whole she-bang. :) Scarily enough I have one of those t0o - - I bought matching parent and child capes from superflykidz so I can pretend play superheros with the kids.

Too bad you don't live nearby!

wifecat
02-21-2013, 02:14 PM
You could put a cape over the whole she-bang. :) Scarily enough I have one of those t0o - - I bought matching parent and child capes from superflykidz so I can pretend play superheros with the kids.

Too bad you don't live nearby!

Ooooh, I can use my daughter's cape! Sweet! And I made a shirt with a Super logo for myself for a run last year. I'll wear the apron just around my waist...

I have a fuel belt for running, and I think I'll put a juice box, some snacks, and some children's motrin in the holders instead of water bottles.

I need to showcase craft supplies...

niccig
02-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Ooooh, I can use my daughter's cape! Sweet! And I made a shirt with a Super logo for myself for a run last year. I'll wear the apron just around my waist...

I have a fuel belt for running, and I think I'll put a juice box, some snacks, and some children's motrin in the holders instead of water bottles.

I need to showcase craft supplies...

Throw in a phone and a calendar...and you're set. The cape is a brillant idea. Have fun.

misshollygolightly
02-21-2013, 02:48 PM
If you have a "World's best mom"-type mug or something you should definitely bring it with you! Maybe you can incorporate some small photos of your kids in some way--maybe cut a recent family photo into a heart-shape and pin it above your left breast (over your heart, you know).

Other things that say "mom" to me include a calendar, little bottle of hand sanitizer, and ziploc bag of cheerios :-)

wifecat
02-21-2013, 06:51 PM
If you have a "World's best mom"-type mug or something you should definitely bring it with you! Maybe you can incorporate some small photos of your kids in some way--maybe cut a recent family photo into a heart-shape and pin it above your left breast (over your heart, you know).

Other things that say "mom" to me include a calendar, little bottle of hand sanitizer, and ziploc bag of cheerios :-)

I took a mug with my kids' photos on them and printed out "World's Greatest Mom" then stuck it on there. I filled the cup with black tissue paper (coffee).

I used your idea of taking a pic of my kids and making it into a heart, then pinning it on, too. Genius!

I added a wand to my ensemble, too. I look goofy, but whatever. It should be fun (and there's an awesome prize if I win the costume contest!).

dcmom2b3
02-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Hehehe...I don't have a ponytail or danskos...but I've got yoga pants! ;-)

Anything else scream "Mom" - but like, super mom who's ready for any scenario?

Tiara, golden lasso, yoga pants, cape, apron, snacks, iPad, first-aid kit and briefcase/diaper bag. Kind of like a machine-washable Wonder Woman. Huge props if you can pull off an invisible mini-van.

Moms (and dads too) are love. I think this is a very sweet idea.

wifecat
02-22-2013, 12:14 AM
So I was the only person at the event dressed up! Hahahahaha! But, there was a costume contest for $250 and while they haven't announced the winner yet, the manager said he was guessing I'd be the winner given that I had the best, and ummm, only costume! (There were lots of people who took photos in the photobooth for their facebook page, but they weren't actually dressed up).

I have no shame, so I thought it was fun. In the end, I had a super-mom t-shirt on, a Supermom cape, an apron with a diaper, kids' book, Thomas train, knitting needles, and a spatula in the pockets. I had a microfiber cloth pinned to the apron, hand sanitizer hanging from the apron, and a heart shaped pic of my kids over my heart. Around my waist I wore my fuel belt, and in it I had a kids' juice box, snack bar, sunscreen, and a toy screwdriver. I had on yoga pants, running shoes, and a pink glittery crown with pipe cleaners poking out of my hair. I carried with me a wand and a mug with pics of my kids and "World's Greatest Mom" on it (with black tissue paper stuffed inside as coffee). Whew!

I got a ton of compliments and no weird stares. Runners are a funny bunch.

Thank you all for the help! It was fun being the lone costumed character.

MamaInMarch
02-22-2013, 12:25 AM
So I was the only person at the event dressed up! Hahahahaha! But, there was a costume contest for $250 and while they haven't announced the winner yet, the manager said he was guessing I'd be the winner given that I had the best, and ummm, only costume! (There were lots of people who took photos in the photobooth for their facebook page, but they weren't actually dressed up).

I have no shame, so I thought it was fun. In the end, I had a super-mom t-shirt on, a Supermom cape, an apron with a diaper, kids' book, Thomas train, knitting needles, and a spatula in the pockets. I had a microfiber cloth pinned to the apron, hand sanitizer hanging from the apron, and a heart shaped pic of my kids over my heart. Around my waist I wore my fuel belt, and in it I had a kids' juice box, snack bar, sunscreen, and a toy screwdriver. I had on yoga pants, running shoes, and a pink glittery crown with pipe cleaners poking out of my hair. I carried with me a wand and a mug with pics of my kids and "World's Greatest Mom" on it (with black tissue paper stuffed inside as coffee). Whew!

I got a ton of compliments and no weird stares. Runners are a funny bunch.

Thank you all for the help! It was fun being the lone costumed character.

Awesome that you had a good time! Enjoy your prize! (It sounds like you had a *great* costume!!) :superhero:

wifecat
02-24-2013, 09:31 PM
I went to the store in my crazy getup and now I need to get the most likes to win the contest! The saga continues...so, if you have a moment and could like the facebook photo (plus, you get to see my crazy outfit...wish you could see it better, but...). Thanks for any votes you can throw my way!

Road Runner Sports VIP Feel the Love Photo Contest
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151365048333725&set=a.10151362844608725.482264.82238028724&type=3&theater