PDA

View Full Version : DC's yearly check up not on birthday

niccig
02-21-2013, 02:38 PM
DS's birthday is Christmas Day, so his yearly check up has been in January. Over time, January has become February. This year I could only get late March as forgot to call. I got a call yesterday, the Dr. is out that day, so now it's early April. There are earlier times, but I couldn't make them work with my class schedule.

I like to see the same Dr. for the yearly, he's the main partner and he's seen DS for all yearly check-ups. DS is rarely sick (touch wood so I don't jinx myself), so this is usually the only doctor's appt. he has all year. But with only 1 yearly check-up allowed with insurance, I now have to remember that his 9 yo check has to be in April when he's nearly 9.5. At some point, we may end up being back to Jan.

Anyone else?

o_mom
02-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Check your plan rules. Some go by the 'must be 12 mos apart' rule, but ours is one per calendar year, so even if it is a few weeks after this year, we can go early next week.

DietCokeLover
02-21-2013, 02:43 PM
We are the same. Instead of Nov and Dec, we are into Feb. ours has to be one year + 1 day from the last appt.

georgiegirl
It is so obnoxious!

I have the same problem, but DS was born in July and our appointments are already in Sept (he's only 3.5). I'm not sure what I will do when he turns 5 since I will need to turn in that paperwork (and get him shots) before he starts kindergarten...but by then we probably can't go in until October and school starts mid-August.

chottumommy
DS's birthday is Christmas Day, so his yearly check up has been in January. Over time, January has become February. This year I could only get late March as forgot to call. I got a call yesterday, the Dr. is out that day, so now it's early April. There are earlier times, but I couldn't make them work with my class schedule.

I like to see the same Dr. for the yearly, he's the main partner and he's seen DS for all yearly check-ups. DS is rarely sick (touch wood so I don't jinx myself), so this is usually the only doctor's appt. he has all year. But with only 1 yearly check-up allowed with insurance, I now have to remember that his 9 yo check has to be in April when he's nearly 9.5

Anyone else?

Same for us. This year DS1's yearly checkup was in Feb (birthay in Nov). I don't really care much for the yearly checks. I usually go only because DS2 needs his checkup (he's 18 months). I sometimes wish I could skip the well-visits. DS1 hardly gets sick so his yearly check is the only time the ped seems him.

I usually set up the next visit at the previous visit even though its a year in advance. The office calls me 1 week before for a reminder and if I find a conflict I reschedule. That way I don't have to remember and I usually get the first appt in the morning. Not sure if it would work for you.

PunkyBoo
02-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Yup. Punkin's birthday is next week but he won't see the doc until April (and I haven't even made the appointment yet so who knows when it will end up.) Boo's birthday was mid-January and we just saw the doc on Monday, but tgat worked out well as it also served as follow up to the illnesses both my boys went through in the last 2 weeks. Maybe in a few years it will get pushed out so far as to be back around their birthdays again! Lol!

niccig
02-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Check your plan rules. Some go by the 'must be 12 mos apart' rule, but ours is one per calendar year, so even if it is a few weeks after this year, we can go early next week.

I'll check, I thought it was 12 mos apart. I didn't know some plans were in a calendar year. It's easier for me to remember if it's by his birthday. Having to remember mid-year, I know I'll forget and then we'll probably get back to Jan. appt. by skipping a check-up.

niccig
02-21-2013, 02:49 PM
I usually set up the next visit at the previous visit even though its a year in advance. The office calls me 1 week before for a reminder and if I find a conflict I reschedule. That way I don't have to remember and I usually get the first appt in the morning. Not sure if it would work for you.

Now that's a great idea. I'll check what our plan is, and if it's calendar year, I'll get an appt. for Jan 2014.

If not, we may just push the next check up from April 2013 to later in 2014, and eventually get back to a Jan. appt.

PunkyBoo
02-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Now that's a great idea. I'll check what our plan is, and if it's calendar year, I'll get an appt. for Jan 2014.

If not, we may just push the next check up from April 2013 to later in 2014, and eventually get back to a Jan. appt.

Our pediatrician does not make their calendar available more than a couple month's in advance. Otherwise I'd do that too. That's what we do for all our dental appointments.

o_mom
02-21-2013, 02:54 PM
It is so obnoxious!

I have the same problem, but DS was born in July and our appointments are already in Sept (he's only 3.5). I'm not sure what I will do when he turns 5 since I will need to turn in that paperwork (and get him shots) before he starts kindergarten...but by then we probably can't go in until October and school starts mid-August.

You should be able to get an appointment for just the vaccinations before school starts.

vonfirmath
02-21-2013, 02:55 PM
I'll check, I thought it was 12 mos apart. I didn't know some plans were in a calendar year. It's easier for me to remember if it's by his birthday. Having to remember mid-year, I know I'll forget and then we'll probably get back to Jan. appt. by skipping a check-up.

Ours is calendar year.

anonomom
02-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Our Ped only schedules appointments 8-12 weeks in advance, so I have to remember to call to make the kids' well-child visits. It drives me nuts that my early-December DD has to have her appointments in late January because one year I forgot to call the week the December calendar opened and by the time I remembered he was booked solid for the entire month.

chottumommy
02-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Yup. Punkin's birthday is next week but he won't see the doc until April (and I haven't even made the appointment yet so who knows when it will end up.) Boo's birthday was mid-January and we just saw the doc on Monday, but tgat worked out well as it also served as follow up to the illnesses both my boys went through in the last 2 weeks. Maybe in a few years it will get pushed out so far as to be back around their birthdays again! Lol!

You can do vaccination visits with the nurse and that would not count as a well-visit. That's what I do since we delay vaccinations and usually donot do them in peak winter with the cold/flu season.

JBaxter
02-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Our insurance is 1 well visit per calendar year.

AnnieW625
02-21-2013, 03:06 PM
In 2011 I called to get my DDs scheduled for their yearly check ups and scheduled them at separate times, DD1 had been scheduled for April 28th (her birthday was April 4th), and then I had scheduled DD2 for May 4th (probably at her 6 month appt.) so then the light bulb turned on in my head and I thought well since I have to take DD2 to the appt. as well the following week I should check and see if I could get back to back appts. so I took DD2 who would have been a day shy of turning 1. It took a little coaxing with the nursing staff, but they finally agreed to do DD2's vaxes that day, however I kept getting reminders from the Kaiser HMO (same as the medical group) reminding me that my DD needed to come in and have her 12 mos. shots done even though her online medical record stated that she had already been seen and her vax. record was up to date as well.

In general though I try to get their appts. within the month of their birthday, but now if I can get back to back appts. I don't mind DD1's appt. being in early to mid May because DD2's birthday is in late April.

Honestly though once you are past the 5 yr. old vax. stage I think you are fine going any time of the year.

MaiseyDog
02-21-2013, 03:43 PM
DD1's birthday is Valentine's Day, but her yearly check up is in April this year. Our MD doesn't scheduled more than 3 months ahead so I have to remember to call.

As for school check up, the shots required for starting school are listed by the CDC as appropriate anytime after the age of 4. We did all of DD2's school shots at her 4 year old check up (which was about 2 months after she turned 4 so we are all set for school)

egoldber
02-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Our plan is also per calendar year vs. 12 months. And every time I call the scheduling person tries to tell me it has to be at least 12 months later.

KrisM
02-21-2013, 03:50 PM
It is so obnoxious!

DS2 is July and is 4.5. We went yesterday for his last Polio shot and to fill out the school forms for kindergarten. It does not count as a well visit. My other kids, I just dropped off the form and they filled it out for me.