PDA

View Full Version : Gift for friend leaving oversees (army)

melrose7
02-21-2013, 04:07 PM
I just found out my best friend from college is leaing in a couple weeks for an army assignment in Germany. She will be there anywhere from 7 months to 2 years. The army has screwed over a bunch of times so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being longer than 2 years. We lived together for 10 years through and after college and until I got married. She moved a few hours away shortly after I got married and I had 3 kids back to back to back while she got married 5 yrs ago. So our lives have changed a little and we haven't seen or talked liked we use to.

She also might be going through a divorce in the near future. I never found out exactly what happened but this might be the last straw. she doesn't know if she is going to be working near a combat area (she will be a critical care nurse), a clinic, or hospital, so is not looking forward to this at all. Her family is all over the country, her mom is in and out of mental hospitals and she is the only on helping her out.

So we are planning on a night out a few days before she leaves. What can I get her as a going away gift? Something useful and sentimental. She got me through a terrible time in college when a mutual friend of ours died suddenly in a car crash. I had a hard time dealing with her death and she got my back to living life. She is a true best friend. I hate that we don't hang out and talk like we use to but I understand on how lives take over. When we do get together it's like no time has passed. She is also the godmother to my eldest daughter.

Sorry this got so long. Just having a hard time believing she is actually leaving. It's one thing not to see each other because we are too busy and another because she is on the other side of the world and may not be safe.

Thanks for reading