PDA

View Full Version : Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

lmr1101
02-21-2013, 05:15 PM
We're celebrating dd1's birthday with a trip to DL. My parents just said their present to dd1 is an appointment at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.
I'm not thrilled and here's why...
We are only going for 1 day - just to DL
She is not going to be wearing a "princess dress" all day at the park (my Mom loved the idea that she will wear her Cinderella costume and then get dressed up)
I don't want to schedule an appointment and then be forced to stop what we're doing to make sure we don't miss our time.
I guess I'm just not thrilled with the idea of the boutique itself... I'm sure when she's getting it done she'll love it and it will be fun... but I don't know why I'm not jumping up and down and now I've made my Mom mad since I wasn't loving her idea.

So I guess I need some advice. If you only have 1 day in DL (no early entry either) would you still set up this appointment? My Mom did say they do walk ins, but I'm wondering how busy it will be.
Do kids ever get this done and not wear a princess costume along with it?

Someone please convince me this will be fun

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2013, 05:26 PM
We were just at DL last week and could have fit it in b/c the park was really uncrowded (we were only there 1 day too). I am not a fan of reservations either b/c I like flexibility so I get where you are coming from there. Questions to research- what time is the park open until? What is the crowd prediction calendar? If you are going on a 7 or higher crowd day, I might skip b/c of longer lines. Would she be open to a character meal the next morning, if you'll be staying over?

lmr1101
02-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Questions to research- what time is the park open until? What is the crowd prediction calendar? If you are going on a 7 or higher crowd day, I might skip b/c of longer lines. Would she be open to a character meal the next morning, if you'll be staying over?

I just checked a crowd prediction calendar and they said it's packed :( If I skip it I know my Mom will not be happy with me.

Our plan is to drive out late Friday night, DL all day Saturday and then do a Character Breakfast on Sunday morning before driving back home. I booked it through Costco so the breakfast will be free! Otherwise a character meal would have been a great option.

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Well, I think you've already done the damage so might as well break the news gently that you want to skip. ;) But, I guess if it takes less than 30 minutes it would be ok- that's just 1 ride or, better yet, someone standing in line for lunch and having it ready when you get done. :)

elektra
02-21-2013, 05:58 PM
We have never done BBB, mostly because it would be too much of a commitment with the limited time of just one day, like you mentioned.

lmr1101
02-21-2013, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=SnuggleBuggles;3733886]Well, I think you've already done the damage so might as well break the news gently that you want to skip. ;) QUOTE]

That's just it... she is already disappointed that I didn't love her idea. She just left it as saying well... that is our gift to her. She said since dd won't be napping that day the makeover could be her "rest time". :banghead:

If it will be a short wait I won't mind, plus your idea of having lunch ready after is very smart.

citymama
02-21-2013, 06:49 PM
If your DD doesn't want to do it, and you have just one day, then in effect it's like a negative bday present - it's taking time away from her one day at the park. I think you should say clearly - "we only have a day and DD isn't that into the idea (and neither am I). How about buying DD's ticket to the park instead?" Or words to that effect. I'm all too familiar with the "negative presents!"

sariana
02-21-2013, 07:58 PM
If your DD doesn't want to do it, and you have just one day, then in effect it's like a negative bday present - it's taking time away from her one day at the park. I think you should say clearly - "we only have a day and DD isn't that into the idea (and neither am I). How about buying DD's ticket to the park instead?" Or words to that effect. I'm all too familiar with the "negative presents!"

:yeahthat: Or maybe ask for an appointment at a regular salon on a different day. Honestly, I never have understood the appeal of the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique because we always feel rushed at DL, no matter how many days we plan to spend there.

I do like the idea of scheduling it near lunch, though. That could work if you need to "keep the peace" with your parents.

Seitvonzu
02-21-2013, 08:44 PM
my MIL really wanted DD to do BBB -- she paid and had pictures done. we did it at WDW and it was our THIRD day at magic kingdom (we did 5 full days, 2 half days of parks) ...we did it first thing in the morning (before the park opened, but weren't done until after it had opened) , she DID wear the costume all day and then we had an early dinner at cinderella's royal table. i wasn't super into the idea and DH was pretty adamantly opposed, but really, by the end of the appointment we were all sorta converted :) it was a really cute experience :)

then, at dinner our little cindy (and the whole family) got to have a 5-10 minute private conversation with THE CINDERELLA herself because for some reason, no one was in the picture line. i think she was extra nice to my DD because of the whole "cindy connection"-- the fairy godmother character we met with was also EXTREMELY sweet to my daughter. those two things alone made the whole dressup day pretty special :) even DH was enchanted with the Cinderella cast member after the whole personal interaction thing.... plus the adorable outfit and all the sweet attention. i must have 6 million pictures of the whole thing....one of my favorites of the week was the one i call "the paparazzi" picture because we are all in the mirror taking DD's picture-- the disney photographer, MIL, FIL and me :)

if we only had one day and couldn't do it first thing in the morning before the park opened? no way!

BayGirl2
02-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Wait - is your DD into it, or would she be if you told her about it? I guess that would guide my decision. If my DD would like it I'd go ahead and make the reservation. Then I'd let Grandma stay with her during the whole BBB experience while I go do something else that I want to do. It could be their special thing. I'd return at the end for the pictures. While it does cut into time, it seems like it would be a unique and fun experience. I don't mind having fixed times, I'm a planner and we always have TS ressies and its fine for us.

But if DD isn't into it, then its not worth the time and isnt a great bday gift for her at this time.

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Wait - is your DD into it, or would she be if you told her about it? I guess that would guide my decision. If my DD would like it I'd go ahead and make the reservation. Then I'd let Grandma stay with her during the whole BBB experience while I go do something else that I want to do. It could be their special thing. I'd return at the end for the pictures. While it does cut into time, it seems like it would be a unique and fun experience. I don't mind having fixed times, I'm a planner and we always have TS ressies and its fine for us.

But if DD isn't into it, then its not worth the time and isnt a great bday gift for her at this time.

:yeahthat: You know, the more I think about it, the more that sounds like a good plan. DD probably doesn't need to or want to spend the day in line riding rides. She might like the break and I love the idea of sending her with grandma and heading off to do other stuff/

lmr1101
02-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Sorry, I was away after yesterday afternoon...

DD doesn't even know it is an option. She would probably like it. I guess it is more me who doesn't love the idea.
Grandma isn't coming with us... it's just me, DH and both girls. I can most likely get over my feelings, since I know dd would probably like it. Really, my biggest concern is having to pick an appointment time even though we are only going to be there one day. We can't do it before the park opens because it opens at 8 next week when we're going.
Plus, dd is most likely just going to wear a minnie mouse shirt with leggings so no costume.

Now that I've had a day to think about it, this really is more of my issue that I guess I need to let go.:rolleye0014:

twowhat?
02-22-2013, 02:40 PM
We just got back from 4 days at DL (and it was pretty crowded) and there's no way I would've wanted to stop our park time to go to the BBB. Our girls would've loved it (getting all prettied up and everything) but they had no idea it was an option and we never pointed it out, and they would've been just as happy riding Dumbo 500 times. If you have only 1 day, I would skip it!

However, hurting Grandma's feelings is another thing. Can you just play it by ear? Spend your time at the park until she seems ready to stop for a break, then swing by the BBB and see if you can walk in. If so - great! If not, oh well - too bad! :)

eta: another option is to schedule it at the VERY end of the day (like late afternoon-ish - 5pm or so). That might be a good option because by then you'll be tired and you won't feel that you've had to stop in the middle of the day to do it since you'll want to get dinner afterwards anyway. Then if she still has energy after dinner, go back and play in the parks in the evening when the crowds are a bit less.

etaa: and have her change into the costume just before. If you have a Little Adventures costume, they are light and VERY packable.