PDA

View Full Version : Question about w-2 form line 12b or 12a what is this?

chozen
02-21-2013, 06:04 PM
There is an amount on Dh w2 line 12b, this is the first yr. that there has ever been any amount in that box. Does this have something to do with obAma care? When I called dh work to ask them what this was they said that it was the value of our ins. Coverage and that we did not need to put it on our tax form? To me this does not sound right.

buddyleebaby
02-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Yes, we had the same. It's his health care benefits.
If you look at the instructions on the top of the W2 it says you don't have to include it.

chozen
02-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Yes, we had the same. It's his health care benefits.
If you look at the instructions on the top of the W2 it says you don't have to include it.

Where did you see this at? There isn't anything about this on the top of our w-2.
Also someone told me that next yr. we will be taxed on this amount is that true?

infocrazy
02-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Where did you see this at? There isn't anything about this on the top of our w-2.
Also someone told me that next yr. we will be taxed on this amount is that true?

For us, it was communicated by our employer. Supposedly, it is just informational...but everyone assumes that someday you will be taxed on it.

chozen
02-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Just sat on hold with IRS for over an hour and hung up. I wish I could find out for sure if this needs to be included on tax form.

buddyleebaby
02-21-2013, 11:43 PM

I just got out the W2s to look for you.
In box 12A, there is a code next to the dollar amount.
For us, that code is DD (which I am ASSuming is the same as yours).

In the instructional portion of the W2s, it has a list of all the codes for box 12a. Next to DD, it says "Cost of employer-sponsored health coverage. The amount reported with Code DD is not taxable."

Hope this helps.

chozen
02-21-2013, 11:47 PM
I just got out the W2s to look for you.
In box 12A, there is a code next to the dollar amount.
For us, that code is DD (which I am ASSuming is the same as yours).

In the instructional portion of the W2s, it has a list of all the codes for box 12a. Next to DD, it says "Cost of employer-sponsored health coverage. The amount reported with Code DD is not taxable."

Hope this helps.

Thank you for looking. Do you think we need to put this amount on our tax form?

buddyleebaby
02-22-2013, 12:21 AM
No, it does not need to be included on your tax return. It is not included in the amount on box 1 on the W-2. It is not taxable income.