PDA

View Full Version : Is the expression "model citizen" used in Britain?

sariana
02-22-2013, 12:56 AM
Does anyone know? I am writing a story and wanting to use this phrase, but the speaker is British. I remember someone once said, "Brits aren't citizens; they're subjects [of the crown]." I don't know if that's true; I'm just quoting.

So, is that expression used by British people? If not, what would be a good alternative?

TIA!

twotimesblue
02-22-2013, 03:05 AM
We would be more likely to say: 'upstanding member of the community'. I never heard 'model citizen' used in England

sariana
02-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Okay, thank you. I need something kind of colloquial, as in

"Well, they weren't exactly model citizens."

Could he say

"Well, they weren't exactly fine, upstanding members of society"?

I don't want it to sound too formal. He is forty-year-old man, so I don't want "teen speak," just casual.

wendmatt
02-22-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm just skyping my sister to ask her (I've lived in US too long and have no idea!). She says you could say model citizen, she has heard that used but it's not really common. I was not surprised by the term and think I have heard English people say that (but as I said I've been here 15 years so could be getting confused). Upstanding member of the community is kind of posh, not colloquial. She's not much help actually!! I'll get back to you if she comes up with something else.

sariana
02-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Wow, thanks!

If the expression is/has been used in Britain, I may just go with it. I am writing fanfiction, and I don't use a beta. I really could use a Brit-picker, but I don't want to look for one. As long as the expression is used there, by someone, at some time, the moderators should be okay with it. Otherwise they will make me change it, which isn't a big deal but is kind of a pain.