PDA

View Full Version : NYT: The extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

maestramommy
02-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Long one here!
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=magazine&

I've only gotten to the 2nd page so far, and while the issue is no surprise, some the the actual facts of food content were jaw dropping.

marymoo86
02-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Wow! 1/3 of all Americans are obese and 1/5 of our precious kids. So so sad not to mention the added cost of obesity to our healthcare system as it is a precursor to so many health issues.

anonomom
02-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Fascinating! The segment on Lunchables was particularly interesting -- I'd only recently ever looked at them and I was shocked by what they're selling -- candy, cookies, etc. Even the ones that come with bottled water also include a packet of Kool-Aid powder to mix in. DD routinely begs me to buy them, but I can't bring myself to do it.

I have issues with the whole "Obesity! Booga booga booga!" thing (especially as applied to children), but the article does raise some interesting questions. I knew lots of thought went into making snacks as appealing as possible, but had no idea it was that technical and that specific (right down to the "vanishing caloric density" that I admit I love about puffy Cheetos). The Coke guy had it right when he mentioned paying his Karmic debt -- these fellows have a lot to answer for.

missym
02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks for posting. We talk to the girls about healthy food vs. junk food, and I think we need to expand the conversation as they get older so they understand what companies do to make junk food more attractive/addictive. "Everything in moderation" is generally our philosophy, but that becomes harder when the food is specifically designed to be addictive.

hillview
02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
yeah I am into the article but only page 2 or 3. Interesting read.

Mopey
02-22-2013, 01:08 PM
I just read the whole thing. Not so shocking or entirely new as these things have been coming out for years but another great reminder for taking care of myself, and by extension my family.

I love the "Eat 'Em like Junk Food" approach for the carrots! :)

StantonHyde
02-22-2013, 01:31 PM
There is a great book called "The End of Overeating" and the author has quite a bit in there about what goes into fast food, places like Red Robin and Panda Express etc. There is a science to it. So the idea is to understand what those foods do to your brain and then decide how to overcome it.

marie
02-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks for posting. We talk to the girls about healthy food vs. junk food, and I think we need to expand the conversation as they get older so they understand what companies do to make junk food more attractive/addictive. "Everything in moderation" is generally our philosophy, but that becomes harder when the food is specifically designed to be addictive.

On a related note - I just discovered that Michael Pollan wrote a young readers edition of The Omnivore's Dilemma. It's a YA book so not for little ones. I took it out of the library and will read it this weekend to see when it will be appropriate for DD1.

It was pretty funny when I saw the NY Times article posted on FB yesterday. The post just above it was from a friend going on about the cocoa rice krispie treat she was eating. :D

maestramommy
02-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Fascinating! The segment on Lunchables was particularly interesting -- I'd only recently ever looked at them and I was shocked by what they're selling -- candy, cookies, etc. Even the ones that come with bottled water also include a packet of Kool-Aid powder to mix in. DD routinely begs me to buy them, but I can't bring myself to do it.

I remember when Lunchables first came out I bought them occasionally as a snack (for me, pre-kids) because it was just the small square. I was astounded by the way they have gotten bigger, to include the juice bag, the cookies, or the pudding with sprinkles. It's nuts. Even crazier was the statement that a Yoplait yogurt has more sugar than Lucky Charms. How is that possible??