PDA

View Full Version : Sick appointment or ride it out? (long)

Melaine
02-22-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm really losing the ability to make these choices....congestion, coughing, even random fevers have become such an everyday occurrence that I seriously am not sure when to go in. I don't think a single member of our family has been 100% symptom free since Christmas.

DS (10 months) was diagnosed with bronchiolitis February 7th...so two weeks ago. We used the neb. as needed for the next 7-8 days but last weekend he seemed much better, though still sniffly and congested. Very happy though (for him). No fever or anything. Well this week he has been less happy and fussy. At night he is snoring and congested. He has also been arching his back all the time and yelling. Not sure if that is 1) reflux 2) fits of anger or 3) possible sign of another ear infection?

This morning he was screaming at me a lot and arching his back and when I tried to nurse him he kept gagging and pulling back and screaming. Now, here is the thing: I may have missed a few doses of Zantac over the last few days (ok, I have missed a few) AND he has a tooth visibly coming in on the bottom. He is STILL congested. I am thinking teething and or congestion is causing his reflux to flare and I need to be more vigilant about giving him the zantac. Maybe he needs to go up in dosage? The last time I had this almost exact same question the ped. said it was reflux.....

But should I go in anyway at this point because of him still having a stuffy nose for weeks on end like all of us?

ckso
02-22-2013, 11:39 AM
I would just call and talk to the doctor over the phone to see if its recommended to go in. Talk to the doctor not the nurse. He's only 10 months so pretty young and better safe than sorry.

I hate the nurse in our ped office and frankly don't trust her advice (she's given us wrong advice before)

So I would call after hours (like around 5:30) to request to have a callback. The doc have always been pretty nice.

Melaine
02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks. I may do that to talk to the doctor.

I gave him Tylenol and he slept an hour in his crib (absolutely unheard of here). He seems more cheerful.

MSWR0319
02-22-2013, 02:24 PM
It sounds like reflux to me. I find with DS (who will be 10 months next week) even if I miss one dose of his Prevacid he starts having symptoms at night. FWIW he's also congested at night the last few days and we just got off an antibiotic but he also seems to be teething because I can see the outline of his upper tooth moving lower. Don't beat yourself up, it's so hard at this age to know what to do. I think it's much easier when they are older. They can at least tell you what they feel. I'd probably just call and talk to the nurse/dr and go from there.

WatchingThemGrow
02-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Would you normally be using the nebulizer for nighttime congestion? I think we did give him some before bed usually.

DietCokeLover
02-22-2013, 02:35 PM
I would get the Zantac back in his system and see what happens. If there is no improvement, I would call.

Melaine
02-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Would you normally be using the nebulizer for nighttime congestion? I think we did give him some before bed usually.

I'm not sure, should I? I really didn't get a whole lot of instruction with that thing! I quit using it because he seemed to have gotten over the weird breathing noise he was having.

kristenk
02-22-2013, 02:42 PM
My guess is the reflux acting up. I'd probably hold off on a sick appointment at this point.

Melaine
02-22-2013, 02:43 PM
It sounds like reflux to me. I find with DS (who will be 10 months next week) even if I miss one dose of his Prevacid he starts having symptoms at night. FWIW he's also congested at night the last few days and we just got off an antibiotic but he also seems to be teething because I can see the outline of his upper tooth moving lower. Don't beat yourself up, it's so hard at this age to know what to do. I think it's much easier when they are older. They can at least tell you what they feel. I'd probably just call and talk to the nurse/dr and go from there.

Thanks...that does make me feel better. Poor kiddos! I hate reflux and related challenges.

TwoBees
02-22-2013, 03:01 PM
No ideas, but :hug:

Reflux in kids can be hard! :(