PDA

View Full Version : Sushi and babies?

flashy09
02-22-2013, 01:37 PM
I would post this in kid food but I need quick help! I am at a fantastic restaurant in Florida with my 14 month old. Can she have sushi? I wouldn't give her high mercury types of fish, but what about salmon? Thank you!

misshollygolightly
02-22-2013, 01:52 PM
I would go for it, myself! Unless she has a seafood allergy or, for some reason, you don't particularly trust the quality/freshness of the sushi at this restaurant. You sound pretty enthusiastic about the restaurant so I say bon appetit!

PunkyBoo
02-22-2013, 01:55 PM
We always gave our kids rice, tofu, edamame, and, if they were interested, cooked fish (shrimp or crab), or tempura but avoided the raw stuff until they were older (around 3).

BabbyO
02-22-2013, 02:01 PM
My kids LOVE salmon. They've been eating it since they were 7-8 mo. We do only serve cooked salmon, but its never been a problem. Stachio asked for salmon for breakfast 2 weeks ago.

georgiegirl
02-22-2013, 02:02 PM
I didn't give them raw stuff, in part because I didn't want to pay for expensive sushi for them. My kids mainly eat California rolls, avocado rolls, and the like. They also like tempura.

SnuggleBuggles
02-22-2013, 02:07 PM
We did at that age.

babyonway
02-22-2013, 02:12 PM
We always gave our kids rice, tofu, edamame, and, if they were interested, cooked fish (shrimp or crab), or tempura but avoided the raw stuff until they were older (around 3).

:yeahthat:

I probably will wait until age 3 to give my DD raw stuff.

MamaMolly
02-22-2013, 03:33 PM
It's just not in my comfort zone to give my DDs raw sushi. We do edamame, miso soup with extra tofu, Dolly loves spring rolls, and Lula will usually eat a cooked sushi or two.

JBaxter
02-22-2013, 04:20 PM
We were doing california rolls at that age Im not sure what else. Honestly I think it was what every they grabbed off my plate.

Philly Mom
02-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Too late now, but I would have no problem giving it if she would eat it. DD loves seafood and I would love to give her good salmon. In Japan they do it.

katydid1971
02-22-2013, 04:48 PM
DS had his first birthday dinner at a sushi restaurant and had California rolls and salmon rolls. Its still one of his favorite things to eat.

buddyleebaby
02-22-2013, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with the raw aspect but would be careful of the nori. It can be pretty chewy/hard to swallow for a little one.

Tondi G
02-22-2013, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with the raw aspect but would be careful of the nori. It can be pretty chewy/hard to swallow for a little one.

Yeah I was thinking that ... Mine ate the fish at that age but they would have ended up gagging on the seaweed cause it is hard to chew up. You could ask if they could make the rolls with soy paper instead though. My DS1 was more of a miso soup, tofu, rice, avocado eater but my DS2 loved raw fish (still does). His favorite is spicy tuna rolls or yellowtail.

You could also order teriyaki/yakitori chicken or cooked black cod (YUM).

flashy09
02-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks so much! Unfortunately she was rather difficult at the table and didn't seem to want anything to eat. Only wanted to play with everything on the table and drop everything on the floor and scream bloody murder if we took anything away! So never bothered offering her the fish, but will let her try some next time we do "delivery dudes" and can feed her at home!

squimp
02-22-2013, 08:14 PM
My Dd has been eating sushi as long as I can remember. She probably started at that age. She is 9 now. She loves the gyoza and edamame and miso soup.

Nooknookmom
02-22-2013, 08:41 PM
I would go for it, myself! Unless she has a seafood allergy or, for some reason, you don't particularly trust the quality/freshness of the sushi at this restaurant. You sound pretty enthusiastic about the restaurant so I say bon appetit!

Ditto-just watch out if she does decide she likes it - there goes your bill, lol!

Both our girls are hooked :)