PDA

View Full Version : Costco Birthday Cake?

elbenn
02-22-2013, 02:11 PM
DS1's birthday party is this weekend. I was planning on making a birthday cake and cupcakes (I still might), but this week, all of the kids have got a bug and been home sick and I'm behind in all my housework and party planning, so I was thinking it might be nice to just buy a cake. The party is in two days. How much notice do you need to give Costco? What kinds of designs do they do? This is a ninja party. Thanks for any information you can give me on your experiences with Costco cakes!

PunkyBoo
02-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Their designs are pretty limited but they will work with you a bit. I think their cakes are delicious (and so do the kids). For Boo's 1st birthday we had the Costco guy use the backdrop of one design and then I used our own decorations on top. So if you have any figurines you could do that. I think they ask for 24-48 hours notice but I could be wrong.

twowhat?
02-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Their designs are pretty limited but they will work with you a bit. I think their cakes are delicious (and so do the kids). For Boo's 1st birthday we had the Costco guy use the backdrop of one design and then I used our own decorations on top. So if you have any figurines you could do that. I think they ask for 24-48 hours notice but I could be wrong.

:yeahthat: You can only go with their designs...or they will work with you to just frost it plainly on top and then you can add your own figurines. I think they can do it with as little as 24 hours notice.

And they really do taste great. Both DH and I don't like the "sickening sweet" taste of most grocery store cakes. But both of us love the Costco cakes!

Giantbear
02-22-2013, 02:44 PM
choices are limited, but the cake is always a hit and they can turn it in 24 hours if they are not busy

curiousgeorge
02-22-2013, 02:51 PM
We just got one two weeks ago for my DS's 4th birthday. Even the parents loved it. They did allow us to get white cake with chocolate frosting even though their order sheet says either white cake/white frosting or choc cake/choc frosting.

AnnieW625
02-22-2013, 02:55 PM
I recently had a cake from Sam's Club and I liked that one a bit better than the last cake I had from Costco, but Costco cakes are good if you need to feed a large amount of people. I also like the cakes from our local Vons (Safeway in other parts of the US).

arivecchi
02-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Costco cakes are totally the way to go - tasty, big and cheap! The chocolate one is better IMO.

sariana
02-22-2013, 04:14 PM
If it's too late you order from Costco, you can buy one "off the shelf." Ours always has some generic cakes in various styles.

twowhat?
02-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Costco cakes are totally the way to go - tasty, big and cheap! The chocolate one is better IMO.

Will Costco do half vanilla cake, half chocolate cake underneath the frosting? Anyone know?

elbenn
02-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks for all the info! Sounds like Costco cakes are a big hit!

buttercup
02-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Designs are limited, but cake is delicious. We had the carrot cake.

Tondi G
02-22-2013, 05:08 PM
the cream cheese frosting is yummy from Costco, chocolate is not bad either. I would just ask them to do red/black trim and maybe write Happy ___ Birthday _____ and then get something to decorate the top yourself. I believe you need to put the order in 24 hrs before (might be 48 though).

Maybe some little figures like these from Party City

http://www.partycity.com/product/ninjas+12ct.do?sortby=ourPicks&size=all&from=Search&navSet=ninja

Or just some foam Ninja stars

http://www.partycity.com/product/foam+ninja+stars.do?sortby=ourPicks&size=all&from=Search&navSet=ninja