PDA

View Full Version : Do you wash all clothes before you wear them?

acmom
02-22-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm packing for our trip and debating whether I need to wash all the new clothes we are bringing....do you wash all new stuff (for you, DH and DC)?

MamaSnoo
02-22-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm packing for our trip and debating whether I need to wash all the new clothes we are bringing....do you wash all new stuff (for you, DH and DC)?

I wash all the kids stuff before wearing. I wash all of DH's things before wearing (his preference).

For myself, it is more variable. I do not wash most of my clothes first- would not typically wash jeans or slacks or sweaters. Tops, dresses, and tees, I would only wash if they smelled or felt like sizing from the store. I never wash my socks first. I would wash swimwear and lingerie before wearing.

gcc2k
02-22-2013, 03:22 PM
I had a conversation about this with friends recently. I never wash anything new--not even underwear. :bag. I think my friends thought that was gross. I haven't washed anything new for DS since he was 9-12 months old. But he's still in diapers and doesn't have sensitive skin.

BabbyO
02-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Depends of if I'm already doing laundry and if I have room/time to do it. If I am doing laundry and my loads aren't already full, I'll wash new clothes before wearing. If not...on they go no pre-washing.

I never wash anything new--not even underwear. :bag. I think my friends thought that was gross. Ummm like the kids undies that come packaged in the plastic bag? Nah...I wouldn't even worry about that!

kristenk
02-22-2013, 03:27 PM
I always wash new casual clothes and socks/underwear before wearing. Dry clean items don't get cleaned prior to wearing. And I'd probably skip washing something that needed to be ironed before wear. New bras might or might not get washed prior to first wear.

okinawama
02-22-2013, 03:29 PM
If I'm throwing a load in on the day that I bought the clothes , I wash them. If not, I'm always too excited to wait to wear a new item of clothing. Bra's, undies and swim suits (if they can be tried on) I try and wash first.

mmommy
02-22-2013, 03:33 PM
I wash everything, but I hate the chemical smell most clothing has straight from the store, and I rash easily and have had issues with my own sensitive skin.

indigo99
02-22-2013, 03:33 PM
I already washed anything that came from a B&M store because someone else may have already tried it on or worn/returned it (besides the ick factor, I'm pretty sure I got ringworm from trying on shorts last year and I KNOW that I contaminated some clothes that I tried on before I knew what I had). After reading about how many chemicals (including formaldehyde) are used in clothing now (especially those coming from Asia), I've decided I'll always wash everything first now.

babyonway
02-22-2013, 03:34 PM
I wash all DDs clothes and before she wears them and I wash my underwear before I wear it but that is it for me

AnnieW625
02-22-2013, 03:36 PM
If I am doing laundry then yes, if not then most times no.

If I buy something off eBay then I always wash it before it gets worn.

hillview
02-22-2013, 03:38 PM
80% of the time. It is my intent to do that. Exceptions is if someone wants to wear it right away. When they were babies YES always.

Momit
02-22-2013, 03:41 PM
I'd like to but it just doesn't happen. I did when DS was a baby but now I don't for any of us, unless it's something that feels really stiff or it looks like the dye will transfer.

Melaine
02-22-2013, 03:44 PM
For teeny babies yes, for older ones and grown ups only if it smells of chemicals. I always wash underwear first. But I hesitated before answering because I realized it's been a while since I bought anything new for myself, I've found a lot of things from the thrift store lately and in that case I start a load of laundry as soon as I walk through the door usually.

abh5e8
02-22-2013, 03:44 PM
yes, I wash everything. but we are all pretty sensitive to the sizing chemicals.

ang79
02-22-2013, 03:46 PM
I already washed anything that came from a B&M store because someone else may have already tried it on or worn/returned it (besides the ick factor, I'm pretty sure I got ringworm from trying on shorts last year and I KNOW that I contaminated some clothes that I tried on before I knew what I had). After reading about how many chemicals (including formaldehyde) are used in clothing now (especially those coming from Asia), I've decided I'll always wash everything first now.

I try to wash everything to, unless its an outer garment like a puffy vest or coat, and normally don't wash scarves, mittens, hats before wearing. Sometimes I wash socks. Call me crazy but I once saw a TV episode (House MD maybe?) where a teen wore an expensive pair of jeans without washing first and had a bad reaction to some chemical that the jeans were manufactured with. And it kinda freaked me out, even if it was just TV drama. I know I've had certain pairs of jeans and dark pants lose dye in the wash (which is why I now use Shout color catchers in my laundry!), imagine that dye sitting right on your skin?!

JElaineB
02-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Yes, I wash all new clothes unless there is something I really need to wear and don't have time to wash it first. I don't wash items that need dry cleaning though.

rlu
02-22-2013, 03:59 PM
I wash and colorset everything before wearing (well, I don't colorset white underware, but do still wash it).

mikala
02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
I wash and colorset everything before wearing (well, I don't colorset white underware, but do still wash it).

How do you color set laundry? I'm not familiar with the term. Thanks!

specialp
02-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Yes, I wash all new clothes unless there is something I really need to wear and don't have time to wash it first. I don't wash items that need dry cleaning though.

Exactly this.

mikala
02-22-2013, 04:10 PM

Yeah that.

sarahsthreads
02-22-2013, 04:44 PM
You know, I used to wash all baby clothes before the first wearing because I wanted them as soft and as safe as possible, but it's never crossed my mind to pre-wash my own clothes. Not even new undies. At this point usually the kids are far too eager to wear something new to have the time to pre-wash.

Sarah :)

kaharris83
02-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Absolutely wash all clothes before wearing.

SnuggleBuggles
02-22-2013, 04:57 PM
I know I should but I don't.

maestramommy
02-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Always.

georgiegirl
02-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Yes! Unless it's dry clean only.

123LuckyMom
02-22-2013, 05:08 PM
I always wash everything.

mommylamb
02-22-2013, 05:09 PM
I wash DS2's clothes before he wears them, and I wash DS1's clothes if I'm doing his laundry before he wants to wear them. I wash my own undergarments before wearing them. I do not wash my regular clothes first though.

I did have a hive reaction once that I suspect was to some chemical on a suit that I had just purchased and worn, but the suit was dry clean only, and I wouldn't even consider having something dry cleaned before wearing it. Hey, let's fix those chemicals by adding more chemicals??? You can't win for losing.

egoldber
02-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Rarely. I know I should, but no.

gatorsmom
02-22-2013, 05:26 PM
My preference would be to wash everything first. Back in the 60's, my mom worked in a garment- manufacturing factory. She said to wash clothes first because the fabric might have fallen on the dirty factory floor (which were never very clean- ever seen "Norma Ray"?), the fabrics may have had chemicals sprayed on them to make them appear nicer hanging on the rack or shoppers could have tried them on or worn them and then returned them. So I make sure to wash particularly all underclothes like socks, underwear, bras, mens' tshirts, pajamas, etc.

If I think washing or cleaning the piece will affect its appearance (like silk, cotton that easily wrinkles, wool that could shrink, dyes that will fade, etc.), I will hold off on washing it until I have to. But I try not to buy too many items that are fussy like that or need to be dry cleaned. The safety of dry cleaning chemicals is a whole 'nother can of worms.

s7714
02-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Yes, always.

The other day I was in Target trying something on and I overheard the teenage girls in the dressing room next door.
Girl A: Aren't you going to put underwear on before you try those on?
Girl B: No, I don't wear underwear with my jeans, so why would I try them on with them?
:barf: Enough said.

HonoluluMom
02-22-2013, 06:02 PM
For DD, yes, everything.

For me, it depends on what the item is or if I'm feeling really lazy. I'll definitely wash panties, bras, swimsuits before wearing.

teresah00
02-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Always excepy maybe a special occasion dress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marymoo86
02-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Yes - always for DD and most everything for me. A study was done and it reveal all the gross things found on clothes from fecal matter (human) and rat from cargo ships to other equally undesirable stuff. Clothes are basically toilet handles.

crayonblue
02-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Nope. I guess I am gross!

MMMommy
02-22-2013, 08:38 PM
I wash all new kids' clothes. For myself, I wash underwear and socks before wearing.

rlu
02-22-2013, 08:43 PM
How do you color set laundry? I'm not familiar with the term. Thanks!

Wash it in cold with white vinegar. It generally sets the color so it doesn't bleed too much in future washings.

indigo99
02-22-2013, 10:33 PM
The other day I was in Target trying something on and I overheard the teenage girls in the dressing room next door.
Girl A: Aren't you going to put underwear on before you try those on?
Girl B: No, I don't wear underwear with my jeans, so why would I try them on with them?
:barf: Enough said.

EWE! Not wearing underwear with your own jeans and not wearing them when trying on in the store is so NOT the same thing.

acmom
02-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Thanks everyone! I spent most of the pm doing laundry and got all the new stuff in there...and I am very glad I did after reading the post about trying on stuff without underwear!

daisymommy
02-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Most clothing is treated with formaldehyde as a brightener and anti wrinkle agent so clothes look nicer on the shelves. I don't want formaldehyde on my skin or my kids skin, so I wash before wearing.

That said, I never used to, before I read about this practice.

Sent from my iPad

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Yes, because of chemicals!

♥ms.pacman♥
02-22-2013, 11:47 PM
If I am doing laundry then yes, if not then most times no.

If I buy something off eBay then I always wash it before it gets worn.

:yeahthat:

scriptkitten
02-22-2013, 11:50 PM
never.

i have to admit i don't even want to really wear my street clothes anymore after they've been washed and the "new" is gone.

lmh2402
02-22-2013, 11:58 PM
yep, wash before wear

absolutely everything for DC

most things for me, except DCO stuff of course

pomegranate
02-23-2013, 02:36 AM
I wash everything for DS before he wears it. I did that when he was a baby, then didn't always when he was about 3. Then he got a huge hive reaction to new pajamas and now I was everything before he wears. Not as consistent for me. I'll wash underwear and sometimes casual clothes. I've no idea what DH does.

citymama
02-23-2013, 02:42 AM
For my kids, yes, always except for sweaters or outerwear.
For me, rarely, except socks/underwear/camis - always.

I'm more concerned about chemicals used in storing/packaging or other chemicals used on clothing than because of hygiene worries.

star04
02-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Everything, always.

edurnemk
02-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Yes, everything for DS and DD, most things for DH and I. First because you never known where they've been, how they were handled, who tried them on... And also because some fabrics have not-so-nice chemicals on them.

R2sweetboys
02-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Nope. I guess I am gross!
:yeahthat::rotflmao: I *think* I probably did when they were babies, but my youngest is ten so it's hard to remember!

wellyes
02-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Usually not. This is one of those first world problems that I just can't get worked up about.

Giantbear
02-23-2013, 02:05 PM
I wash dd pj's so they soften, but otherwise no. I like the feeling of a nice new shirt

ett
02-24-2013, 01:07 AM
I wash everything except for outerwear for myself and DH.

mackmama
02-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Yes - we wash all new clothes except adult wool sweaters (since they'd have to be dry-cleaned). We definitely wash everything before wearing for DC.

EllasMum
02-24-2013, 10:00 PM
In high school, I worked for Wal-mart (and its Canadian precursor, Woolco), and one of the clerks who worked in ladies wear used to always wear these cotton gloves when she came to work. She said that she was sensitive to the chemicals used to treat the clothing and would get horrible rashes if she handled the clothing without gloves. After learning that the clothing was treated with chemicals, I will admit to going through a rabid wash-first phase. Now? I'm about 50-50. If I am doing a load anyway, I will throw in the new items. If not, it gets worn. This is for both DD and me.

lizzywednesday
02-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Yes, I wash all DD's and my clothes before wearing. DH washes new underwear before wearing, but I haven't noticed if he washes other items of clothing first.

I've found that if I don't pre-wash my own clothes, I break out.

AustenFan
02-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Yes, we do, for everything except outerwear. We have sensitive skin around here.

daisysmom
02-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Undies only, for all of us. I have never had a problem reacting to the chemicals. If I had more time, it would be nice to make sure that no underwearless-trying-on-teens were in my jeans, but I barely get the laundry done that I know is dirty these days :)

sweet_pea
02-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Yes, almost everything. Exceptions are outerwear, dry-clean-only dresses or sweaters, and occasionally I'll wear tights/socks without washing them first.

BayGirl2
02-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Didn't read all the comments, but DH works in retail imports (for 2 very popular brands) and spends time in clothing factories. He insists we wash all the kids clothes and does the same for his. He considers not doing it a very bad idea based on what he's seen.

I like the way my clothes feel new, they never seem the same after washing, so I usually wear mine without washing.

karstmama
02-25-2013, 05:15 PM
i almost always wash stuff before wearing. exceptions are when things are bought on vacation or something, like a souvenir tshirt. but if i'm able to wash, i do.