PDA

View Full Version : Best non-breakable drinking glasses?

KonzaPrairie
02-22-2013, 09:22 PM
DH and I have been using the same 16 glass glasses (8 tall, 8 short) we received for our wedding 7 years ago. They were fairly inexpensive and from Target but they've been perfect for our needs. Unfortunately, I've managed to break 3 of them in the last two weeks out of pure clumsiness! Added to that my 16 MO DD is taking a huge interest in wanting to drink from the same glasses we do, and I think we need to switch over to a non-glass drinking glass. I know we had Tupperware growing up but I would prefer BPA-free and something that looked a little classier. Any recommendations?

OKKiddo
02-22-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm going to be watching this because I have exactly 2 glasses left in our cabinet from all of the breakage (lots of breakage with our military moves as well as my own clumsiness). :(

ECMom
02-22-2013, 11:02 PM
We switched to Tervis last year after the majority of our glasses had gotten broken. I got 4-pks of plain ones at Bed Bath & Beyond using 20% off coupons. Each kid also got to choose one with a design on it. Our youngest is 4 & has the 10 oz., which is a good size.

mmsmom
02-22-2013, 11:17 PM
We love the Duralex Picardie glasses. Lots of sizes available on amazon. The ones close to 8 oz are great for our 4 & 6 y.o. DC. Also love the plates & bowls too.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-22-2013, 11:41 PM
if you want unbreakable, i'd go with Tervis. someone posted that there are a bunch on clearance at BB&B. i got mine from Tervis.com and i'm really liking them. i like how there is no condensation on the outside. also, maybe it's just me but i find tervis tumblers SO easy to clean. even with leftover smoothie there sitting for the whole day it easily comes off..i never have to put them in the dishwasher.

we also have duralex picardie, and i LOVE them (love the small size, that's the size we use the most!). i let my kids drink out of them if they're sitting at the table.

DietCokeLover
02-23-2013, 12:30 AM
We use Tervis. Sam's had the 4 packs of them around Christmas.

hillview
02-23-2013, 10:24 AM
We love the Duralex Picardie glasses. Lots of sizes available on amazon. The ones close to 8 oz are great for our 4 & 6 y.o. DC. Also love the plates & bowls too.
:yeahthat:

Naranjadia
02-23-2013, 11:54 AM
For a glass alternative, there is the Bormioli Rocco Rock line. Tempered glass, stackable. We've 24 of them for 3 years and not a single one has broken (despite the hard tile floor in our kitchen).

They are heavier than plastic, but the upside is fewer knock-over accidents than with our plastic cups.

dylansnan
02-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Bormioli Rocco Rock line. Tempered glass, stackable.

Just found some of these at Homegoods- a couple different sizes and priced from $7-$10 for boxes of 6.

MommyAllison
02-23-2013, 01:12 PM
We love the Duralex Picardie glasses. Lots of sizes available on amazon. The ones close to 8 oz are great for our 4 & 6 y.o. DC.

:yeahthat:

citymama
02-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Another Duralex family - we have some DH got about 20 years ago, in addition to a set I got on amazon after we broke a few through sheer abuse. They're pretty durable but not unbreakable. If you're a little more careful than us, they can last forever - my MIL's set was bought when DH was 2!

MelissaTC
02-23-2013, 03:06 PM
We have Tervis tumblers and Duralex glasses. We tend to use the Duralex more. We have had them for a few years now- no issues.

brittone2
02-23-2013, 03:09 PM
I've found small jelly jars are quite sturdy. We use Duralex, although we've had that shatter. The shattering episodes happened when I banged them (once in the dishwasher, once in a cabinet). Both happened within a few weeks of owning them, but they've been durable for us since then.

RedSuedeShoes
02-24-2013, 12:49 AM
Are the Rocco Rock glasses less prone to breaking than Duralex? We used the Duralex ones for years & loved them, but had several shatter out of the blue (without bumps or rapid temperature changes). It was quite shocking & messy each time, but the last straw for me was when one exploded in my 11 y.o. son's hand as he emptied the d/w. Now we use cheap glasses from IKEA, and while I've tossed a few with chips on the rim, I'm more ok with that than spontaneously exploding glassware!

I did some research online & found that this type of tempered glass can kind of "store" stress from impact (bumps, etc) or even from stacking (hello? Seriously? I can't stack my stackably-shaped glasses without worrying about this happening?!) until later. And then they can just release the stress (by exploding forcefully enough to sound like gunfire from across the house) at any later time with no additional provocation.

Anyone know if the Rocco Rock glasses are less prone to that type breakage?

mommytotwo
02-24-2013, 03:59 PM
we use the Duralex glasses as well...thanks to an earlier recommendation on this forum... they are great...

anamika
02-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Huge fan of stainless steel. I know - doesn't fit the American aesthetic ;)
We have a range of sizes and they are indestructible.

anamika
02-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Are the Rocco Rock glasses less prone to breaking than Duralex? We used the Duralex ones for years & loved them, but had several shatter out of the blue (without bumps or rapid temperature changes). It was quite shocking & messy each time, but the last straw for me was when one exploded in my 11 y.o. son's hand as he emptied the d/w. Now we use cheap glasses from IKEA, and while I've tossed a few with chips on the rim, I'm more ok with that than spontaneously exploding glassware!

I did some research online & found that this type of tempered glass can kind of "store" stress from impact (bumps, etc) or even from stacking (hello? Seriously? I can't stack my stackably-shaped glasses without worrying about this happening?!) until later. And then they can just release the stress (by exploding forcefully enough to sound like gunfire from across the house) at any later time with no additional provocation.

Anyone know if the Rocco Rock glasses are less prone to that type breakage?

That is awful. I remember reading stories like this and that's why I stay away from glass. We have had Corelle plates shatter and they become a million tiny shards. Not big pieces that you can pick up like regular crockery.

brittone2
02-24-2013, 04:21 PM
I posted upthread about ours shattering. I did not hit them hard at all when they shattered. I think in one case, I literally just lifted it out of the dishwasher without bumping it and it shattered. Totally freaked me out.

Interesting that they might "store" stress, because all of the ones we had that shattered happened within the first 2 weeks of owning them, and only a few days apart. I posted here about it, thinking that was bizarre, because no one else was saying that at the time. We continued using them and they've been fine.

I use pyrex all of the time and haven't had normal bumps, etc. cause shattering. My kids also use Ball canning and jelly jars to drink from a good bit, and they've been just as durable as anything else. That said, I like the Duralex, but my start with it was rocky!

speo
02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Huge fan of stainless steel. I know - doesn't fit the American aesthetic ;)
We have a range of sizes and they are indestructible.

I think this is what I am looking for. Where do you buy them? I need smallish cups for my kids in the bathroom. Glass just isn't quite right because they have water everywhere and I don't use plastic.

pomegranate
02-24-2013, 04:40 PM
We use both the small Duralex (tempered glass) cups and the Ikea plastic cups that come in a variety of colors and, according to the safemama website, are BPA free.

http://safemama.com/2008/01/19/ikea-kids-rainbow-cups-and-utensils-bpa-free/