PDA

View Full Version : Good books or video classes on DSLR use...

twowhat?
02-22-2013, 10:53 PM
So I searched the threads and found a couple mentions of Michael the Mentor...he actually has a training video for the camera I got for my bday. It's a Canon Rebel EOS T3i. The video costs $40 and supposedly takes about 3.5 hrs to watch...I'm intrigued because it's specific for the camera I have....so I would supposedly learn exactly which buttons to press and why:)

Is it worth it? I don't have time to find and take a community college course or anything like that...it needs to be something I can do after the girls are in bed.

Or are their good books I could get?'

I know how to 1) point and 2) shoot. That's about it. I have no idea what ISO is, or aperture, or f stops or anything else. Total SLR newbie. I'm fairly good with picking up software programs quickly and have done basic stuff in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements and in Illustrator so I'm not worried about post-processing...but I need to just plain learn how to use my camera and learn the terminology:)

I did buy the 50 mm f/1.8 prime lens that everyone here raves about. I have no idea what 50 mm, or f, or 1.8 means. Yes, I bought it blindly off of your recommendations:D

Pennylane
02-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Check youtube for how to videos. There are tons of great ones for most DSLR Cameras.

Ann

crayonblue
02-23-2013, 01:15 AM
Bryan Peterson has good youtube videos. Look for Bryan Peterson Understanding Exposure.

Taking good pictures is fairly easy if you understand the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Setting those three things yourself will make for much, much better pictures than leaving the camera on program and letting it pick what it wants.

tmahanes
02-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Bryan Peterson has good youtube videos. Look for Bryan Peterson Understanding Exposure.

Taking good pictures is fairly easy if you understand the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Setting those three things yourself will make for much, much better pictures than leaving the camera on program and letting it pick what it wants.

I haven't done the videos but his book Understanding Exposure was extremely helpful! I really enjoyed reading it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR