PDA

View Full Version : What to put in Easter Baskets?

FedBaby
02-22-2013, 11:19 PM
What do you put in your young children's Easter baskets? Particularly what do you put in that's not candy?

♥ms.pacman♥
02-22-2013, 11:37 PM
am wondering too!! would love to make the kids one this year. so far ii'm thinking easter themed coloring books, plastic eggs filled with goldfish, etc. i too want to stay away from the sweets. i feel like i'm still recovering from Valentine's goodies ..

SnuggleBuggles
02-22-2013, 11:50 PM
Playdoh
art supplies
books
bubbles
sidewalk chalk

I try really hard to consider what will happen to the stuff after Easter is over. Do I want a gazillion plastic eggs around, for example? Will I pack them away and reuse? Will they just become clutter? In that spirit, I try to make things consumable.

Here's a link to last year's idea thread:
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=426309&highlight=easter

belovedgandp
02-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Outdoor/spring toys -

bubbles
new water bottles
basketball

♥ms.pacman♥
02-23-2013, 12:05 AM
I try really hard to consider what will happen to the stuff after Easter is over. Do I want a gazillion plastic eggs around, for example? Will I pack them away and reuse? Will they just become clutter?

YES, such a good point! Afterwards I kinda hate dealing with all the plastic eggs (half egg here, another half there), and it totally clutters up the house.

Kymberley
02-23-2013, 12:14 AM
Kite
Balloons
Kiddo garden tools
Wind up toys (DS loves them, and when they inevitably break, into the trash they go)

crl
02-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Play silks
Sunglasses
Crocs
Swim googles
Books
Sand shovel
Matchbox cars
Trains
Bubble bath
DVD
Playdough
Stickers

I find bigger baskets easier because I can put things like new crocs in them.

Catherine

wifecat
02-23-2013, 12:43 AM
Last year I had sunglasses, stickers, Thomas trains, fruit leather, a stuffed animal, a fruit squeeze, a ball, markers, bunny stamps, and maybe a few other random non-candy items from the Target dollar section! I put a few pieces of chocolate and each kiddo got a chocolate bunny, but it was a very different basket than what I had as a kid!

pomegranate
02-23-2013, 02:27 AM
My DS is 5. I'll probably put in his easter basket a few toys (maybe a small Lego set), a book, a little candy, and I always get him a little stuffed animal such as those by Jelly Cat. I love that DS still loves his stuffed animals.

Melaine
02-23-2013, 03:56 AM
I have stuffed bunnies by Mary Meyer for the girls, a Naartjie tunic top, A little glosaics kit, and a jump rope. The baby has a Peter Rabbit board book and some socks. Big Sister and Little Brother Tees also. Just stuff I've picked up on clearance for them and I will add Annie's cheddar bunnies and gummy bunnies plus some kind of actual candy maybe. I want to find a nice stuffed bunny for the baby too.

Maybe this http://www.amazon.com/Bunnies-Bay-Silly-Buddy-Skipit/dp/B00292BF38/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

waitingforgrace
02-23-2013, 08:55 AM
We put in coloring books, stickers, sidewalk chalk, bubbles and this year I bought a few of these bath paints http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?pf_id=43727

sarahsthreads
02-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Bubbles
Chalk
Lipgloss/Chapstick (age dependent)
Kid jewelry (our indy toy store carries a great line of necklaces and bracelets for 3+)
Sunglasses
Small toy that's their current interest - last year it was small lego sets and mini lalaloopsy dolls; this year it will likely be (again) small lego sets (DD1 loves the Friends legos) and maybe small princess dolls for DD2 (though I think we have all the princesses at this point, so maybe something else.)

One year I found these huge gorgeous dress-up butterfly wings. Made for some fabulous photos with their easter dresses, and they've been used ever since. I think DD1's second Easter was the year she got play silks.

As far as eggs, we have plastic eggs that the easter bunny hides for an egg hunt with a couple of jelly beans or a wrapped chocolate egg in it. We store the eggs from year to year for the easter bunny to reuse. ;)

Sarah :)

sophiesmom03
02-23-2013, 09:32 AM
A nice stuffed bunny, a book, art supplies or a craft kit (spring themed lime fairy houses). We usually put one chocolate bunny and our egg hunt is for foil wrapped chocolate eggs so no plastic ones left over!

larig
02-23-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm doing some water beads, like this mom did (http://www.modernparentsmessykids.com/2012/03/creative-play-easter-basket-idea-water.html). I'll also do some goldfish, little plastic animals, stickers, a stuffed animal, a book...

Melaine
02-23-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm doing some water beads, like this mom did (http://www.modernparentsmessykids.com/2012/03/creative-play-easter-basket-idea-water.html). I'll also do some goldfish, little plastic animals, stickers, a stuffed animal, a book...

That looks really fun!

cdlamis
02-23-2013, 11:38 AM
The Easter Bunny fills our baskets with summer stuff like a new swim suit, flip flops, googles and other fun stuff.

Seitvonzu
02-23-2013, 11:39 AM
i wait for this thread every year :) it is hard to restrict myself to our basket.... i have an easter problem :)

i'm really trying to restrict myself this year...i don't believe easter should be "little christmas" but sometimes it gets that way around here (it always does). growing up we got a stuffed bunny, chocolate eggs, reeses egg, a couple other "big" candies" (probably a chocolate bunny, and then a few other things like those bubblegum eggs in egg crate or a ring pop or something) and then there were always jelly beans scattered in the plastic grass. mom would also set out the extras in small glass bowls. we also had an egg hunt in the yard which was ALWAYS candy and maybe coins (nickels, dimes, quarters, not a ton)

in comparison-- last year my child got a doll moses basket (american girl, i was hoarding it from longlong ago) w/ dark brown jellycat bunny, peeps giant activity book, jumbo pencil/package of sparkly pencils/turtle sharpener (all from target dollar section), ravensburg egg puzzle, playmobil egg w/ fairy set inside, wonderwoman polly pocket, little chick egg "snow" globe, chocolate scented bunny stickers, minitweets bird whistle, small paint set (bunny face shaped), candy: mr potato head w/ candy features, lindt dark chocolate bunny, williams-sonoma milk chocolate egg w/white chocolate duck inside, and poprocks. this was her "basket"

she also got 3 books (little bunny foo foo, the Sun egg, and penny & her song),a set of twig crayons, a game (funny bunny--so fun!) 2 puzzles, thomas easter chick train car, a polly pocket set, calico critter lamb babies,calico critter bunny playset, little calico baby/w accessory, a couple felt baskets (had the other stuff inside them), a peter rabbit dishes set --tiny cups (gift for both of us really for "hot chocolate tea parties), paper mache egg (which might have had something in it, i can't remember or see in the pictures)

i also had a ton of princess squinkies that i put in plastic eggs for her to "hunt" (we do an egghunt on saturday, so this was just really a trail)....

it's alot... i know. this year i'm really trying to be mindful and limit myself :)

MommyAllison
02-23-2013, 01:17 PM
We use Easter baskets as a chance to refresh the outdoor toys, as Easter-time is usually when the weather begins to get nicer here. We've done:

gardening gloves
gardening tools
kid sized shovels/rakes
kites
bubbles
sidewalk chalk
watering cans
jump rope
sunglasses
baseballs
water table toys
mini tonka/CAT trucks/diggers
pinwheels
flower seed packets (Target often has them in the dollar spot before Easter)

For food, I usually choose from cheddar bunnies, Annies fruit snacks, and TJs jelly beans (dye free).

MommyAllison
02-23-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm doing some water beads, like this mom did (http://www.modernparentsmessykids.com/2012/03/creative-play-easter-basket-idea-water.html).

Those look so fun! Thanks!

larig
02-23-2013, 01:30 PM
That looks really fun!

Those look so fun! Thanks!

I thought so too. When they dehydrate they get really tiny again, btw.

bostonsmama
02-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Last year DD was 1.5, so we did:

PBK monogrammed beach towel (baby sized one)
Gund rattle lamb
3 board books: Tale of the 3 Trees, An Easter Gift for Me, and What Is Easter?
Lindor chocolate bunny
Washable crayons

This year (2.5yo) I got her:
PBK Peter Rabbit Plate and Cutlery Set
PBK's egg chalk
Personalizable Electric Toothbrush (w/ stickers)
Rabbit stuffed animal
2 books: Curious George's Easter & ABC books
a paper pinwheel I made
a Lindor chocolate bunny :)

Simon
02-23-2013, 03:54 PM
It kind of depends on the weather! If its still snowy, I don't bother with the summer toys yet.

Easter is traditionally new underwear maybe spring PJs and sometimes socks. Fun colors or prints usually.

We have a few stuffed bunnies that reappear each year and a few small chicks that chirp in your hand or waddle around (pull cord). I put them away after a few days/weeks so the kids are always happy to see them.

I try to pick things that need refreshing: playdough, art supplies, bubble bath, sandals or shoes.

At our house, the kids love the hunt more than the objects it feels like so we spend more time hiding stuff well than making a pretty basket.

Roleysmom
02-23-2013, 05:19 PM
I am so excited. I got this: http://tinyurl.com/aw2gny7 for my 3-year-old. She's really into jokes and silly things right now, so I think she'll love it. I do need an idea for my 11-year-old, though.

We usually do one thing - last year for the big girl it was a string of glittery butterflies (I can't remember what we did for DD2) - and then a chocolate bunny and a box of Peeps (love them!), a couple of handfuls of chocolate eggs, m&ms, and jelly beans.

When DD1 was smaller, we would do an egg hunt before Easter with a couple of friends and hide things like band aids, hair barrettes, spring novelty socks, stickers and some chocolate eggs.

KDsMommy
02-23-2013, 07:16 PM
I really love the water beads!!!

In addition to candy and trinkets, DS always gets Silly Putty in the plastic egg.

Jen841
02-23-2013, 08:57 PM
All the above are great ideas! I always add tissue packs, toothbrushes and toothpaste. For filler I shop my pantry and put snack in. The kids are older so the get popcorn kernels now. I refresh art supplies and usually give a new movie and some type of an activity book.

Gift adds happen to appear in them too.

Oh... Chapstick too

calv
02-24-2013, 08:58 AM
WHAT are water beads?

Check out target Easter section for the 2 pack of the EOS Chapstick. We love that stuff here. :)

larig
02-24-2013, 11:11 AM
WHAT are water beads?

Check out target Easter section for the 2 pack of the EOS Chapstick. We love that stuff here. :)

the first I saw them was at an OT's office. They hold water and provide a pretty unique sensory experience. They can be used for flower arrangments.

chlobo
02-24-2013, 01:30 PM
What are water beads made of? Are they non-toxic? Or is it some kind of chemical?

IansMom
02-24-2013, 01:38 PM
I promised myself that I would clear out a lot of the smaller toys that I have purchased on clearance for DS over the past couple of years, and not buy anything for the basket this year but candy and a book.

For DS age 4, I have:

Kaleidoscope http://www.amazon.com/Schylling-CTK-Classic-Tin-Kaleidoscope/dp/B000ELSZW0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=ZJF90C6SR9UM&coliid=IBDMRL9QLS5UZ
Rescue Heroes figure http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-World-Rescue-Heroes-Canyon/dp/B005F33KM2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=ZJF90C6SR9UM&coliid=ISX2D1UR2AV6D
M&D decorate your own race car http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Decorate-Your-Own-Wooden-Race/dp/B003AHE1UU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=ZJF90C6SR9UM&coliid=I33J3O06MBS2K0
Musical triangle http://www.amazon.com/Rhythm-Band-Musical-Steel-Triangle/dp/B0002IL3G0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=ZJF90C6SR9UM&coliid=I1DWGR7SGRMIDV
Parachute man http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Time-Toys-Original-colors/dp/B000YUCMOS/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1361726936&sr=1-1&keywords=sky+diver
Be Amazing Water Balls http://www.amazon.com/Be-Amazing-Toys-Colossal-Blister/dp/B004K0DSDW/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1361727508&sr=1-1&keywords=Be+amazing+ball
4-pack of Matchbox airplanes/helicopters

For the book, I will probably buy "Fine Feathered Friends" from the Cat in the Hat Learning Library. DS loves this series.

FedBaby
02-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Carrots with the green tops on still!

(I figured we got apples / oranges in our x-mas stocking, so why shouldn't there be some produce in the easter basket as well? Of course no fruit is in season at Easter, but I felt like carrots with greens on top would be appropriate from the easter bunny. When DC#2 was an infant, he got a jar of carrot puree since DC#1 was old enough to notice. ;)

calv
02-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Where do you get the beads?

larig
02-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Where do you get the beads?

Amazon has them. The packaging says non-toxic non-poisonous, but I don't let my 4 year old put them in his mouth. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UCUH2A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=modparmeskid-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004UCUH2A

FedBaby
03-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Any tips for a 18 month old (DS)? I've got enough stuff for my 4 yr old DD now, but I don't know what to put in the 18 month old DD's basket... (And we tend to do small baskets.)

DD's getting:
* a little "make your own necklace" with beads (Target dollar spot).
* a little watering can (Target back at the pool/sand toys for $2, NOT the dollar spot).
* a little M&Doug stamp set.
* two books (paperback square ones) - and I wouldn't mind getting to put another one or two in there...
* a small Playmobil set
* carrots with green tops.
* organic cheese "goldfish" (shaped like bunnies -- different brand) in the clear plastic cake decorating bag with green ribbon (I've got to remember to get the bags!!!)
* a few pieces of chocolate

For DS I've got:
* same little watering can (different color)
* two board books.
* 4 little Playmobil 123 animals (grabbed these out of the toy box. I don't think they'll notice.)
* a couple of jars of carrot puree (I can use it as a "pasta sauce" for them just fine, and it avoids the choking hazard...)
* organic cheese "goldfish" in the clear plastic cake decorating bag with green ribbon

I feel like we have enough toys for DS's age so I don't really want to add any more to the house. We already have enough bubbles. I don't want to do Playmobil 123 'cause we already have enough. Obviously something like a necklace is out 'cause of age. Any other ideas?

I think I need something to offset the stamp set or the playmobil set... Any suggestions? (I could nix the stamp set, but she's been enjoying a stamp set she got recently for her b-day, so I don't really want to. Don't want to nix the playmobil 'cause she'll like it and we need an excuse to give it to her.)

crl
03-09-2013, 01:16 AM
Any tips for a 18 month old (DS)?

I feel like we have enough toys for DS's age so I don't really want to add any more to the house. We already have enough bubbles. I don't want to do Playmobil 123 'cause we already have enough. Obviously something like a necklace is out 'cause of age. Any other ideas?

.)

Sunglasses
Goggles
Sunhat
Sidewalk chalk
Fingerpaint
Homemade playdough with or without an Easter cookie cutter or two

Catherine

karstmama
03-09-2013, 07:44 AM
i also do outdoor stuff like a game (this year it's http://www.amazon.com/Boochie-Whole-New-Ball-Game/dp/B0017VO5AW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362829231&sr=8-1&keywords=boochie ) or sidewalk chalk or a big water toy like a float (we used to live on the water). clothes for spring/summer - this year 3 striped tshirts i got on sale at old navy. tub toys like soap crayons or foam toys like this - http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Toys-Pirates-The-Tub/dp/B000O8MY52/ref=sr_1_6?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1362829372&sr=1-6&keywords=foam+tub+toys . some candy, but ds isn't really into candy that much, so i usually stop after some m&ms.