PDA

View Full Version : Password storage?

SASM
02-23-2013, 09:44 AM
How do you safely store and keep track of all of your passwords? I currently keep everything in a notebook. I have misplaced it a few times and FREAKED out!! Need to find a new method. I am afraid to use an app.

cvanbrunt
02-23-2013, 11:10 AM
We use a password management system called LastPass. It generates secure passwords for you (random strings of letters and numbers) and automatically logs you into sites. The only password you create and remember is for the program itself. Works great and is ridiculously secure.

https://lastpass.com/

lmwbasye
02-23-2013, 11:12 AM
I just remember them. My in-laws use a roladex.

SASM
02-23-2013, 11:25 AM
We use a password management system called LastPass. It generates secure passwords for you (random strings of letters and numbers) and automatically logs you into sites. The only password you create and remember is for the program itself. Works great and is ridiculously secure.

https://lastpass.com/
It automatically logs you into sites? Can you use this for multiple devices as well or just laptop? Thank you!

SASM
02-23-2013, 11:28 AM
I just remember them. My in-laws use a roladex.
Wow! That's impressive! I must have over 75 websites/passwords to track...could NEVER do this! Especially when I change them impressive!

cvanbrunt
02-23-2013, 12:07 PM
It automatically logs you into sites? Can you use this for multiple devices as well or just laptop? Thank you!

Yup. It's on all our devices. It's a web-based add-on.

SASM
02-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Yup. It's on all our devices. It's a web-based add-on.

That is very interesting! Do you have the ability to print out the list so you have a hardcopy somewhere? Do you have the free version or premium? There has to be a catch somewhere... Thank you!!

PMJ
02-23-2013, 12:21 PM
That is very interesting! Do you have the ability to print out the list so you have a hardcopy somewhere? Do you have the free version or premium? There has to be a catch somewhere... Thank you!!

WHOA. This is interesting. I'm not understanding how it logs you into gmail or facebook, for example - but I"ll check this out.

thanks for sharing!

Pear
02-23-2013, 12:42 PM
For the million websites that require a password, but aren't significant things like getting into my bank account, I use a formula to create the password. You want a combination of upper and lower case letters and some numbers. Then pick some portion of the website name, apply a shift of some sort, and you have your password. Since I use the same formula everywhere I can always rederive the password if I have forgotten it.

eyedoc_01
02-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Encrypt a word file with one ridiculously secure password. If you lose your keys that will slow down someone long enough to change all your passwords, unlike losing your notebook which has no encryption.

pomegranate
02-23-2013, 03:09 PM
I use SplashID. Have it on both my laptop and my iPhone as an app. Works pretty well.

amatahrain
02-23-2013, 07:25 PM
I remember mine. I use 3 different passwords depending on what the site requires.

DH uses http://supergenpass.com/mobile/ and it sounds similar to what previous posters use. I like it and am grateful for the program b/c DH comes up with some wacky variations of his master password that I would never remember for amazon and our banking.

KDsMommy
02-23-2013, 07:28 PM
I use Keeper on my phone and laptop.

SASM
02-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Thank you soooo much for the responses!!!