PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide...iPad mini or kindle paper white

lhafer
02-23-2013, 10:28 AM
We've had all the kindles. I currently have a kindle Touch. Upgraded dh's touch to a paper white for Christmas. He loves it. I love the lighting because we read every night before going to sleep, and I currently have to keep my lamp on to read.

We also have an iPad 3 and iPad mini. DH got an open box deal on the mini...but I'm in love with the size of it. He really got it for our kids to use, but I find myself stealing it all the time to use it, but since I do have a kindle...that is what I typically read on at night.

I want to either upgrade my Touch to the paper white or another IPad mini for me. I literally cannot decide. I handle both every day. And I still can't decide. As I type this, I'm my kids' iPad mini!! But my kindle is right next to me on my nig stand. Because I have the Kndle, I have never really read books on the iPad or iPad mini. I've always used my kindle to read books, although we have the iPad app on the iPad.

Which one would you choose?

*This would be my birthday present

hellokitty
02-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Lol, I'd get a nexus 7. We love ours, but we got it mainly for the kids.

lhafer
02-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Lol, I'd get a nexus 7. We love ours, but we got it mainly for the kids.

Haha! I didn't mention it, but DH has this as well. He uses it for work at work mostly, so I never see it and tend to forget he even has it. :rotflmao:

larig
02-23-2013, 10:42 AM
mini! (we also have a nexus 7--it's okay, I don't love it like I do my mini, but I'm an apple girl, admittedly).

TwinFoxes
02-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Mini. I am typing on mine, and I love it more than I expected. Admittedly, I plan to get a Paperwhite soon. :) (I have a Touch).

amm40
02-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Since you have access to all of them, limit yourself to just the iPad for a few days and see if you miss the kindle, then switch!

wellyes
02-23-2013, 11:07 AM
You already have an ipad 3, an ipad mini, a kindle touch and a kindle paper white? I'd get something else entirely for my birthday!

Do you have a vitamix, zoo membership, clarisonic, gym membership, xbox with kinect? A nice train case for cosmetics, a YouBrew, an electric scooter, a SodaStream, a ballet barre? Can you tell I am writing out my own wish list LOL?

SASM
02-23-2013, 11:21 AM
mini! (we also have a nexus 7--it's okay, I don't love it like I do my mini, but I'm an apple girl, admittedly).

:yeahthat: The N7 is nice (it's DS's) but I find myself cursing every time I have to use it bc I just prefer our Apple products. Although, I actually prefer the N7's Google Now feature over my Mini's Siri. ;) I have a Nook w Glowlight that I use at night but otherwise I tend to read on here (my Mini). I actually just gifted my iPod Touch 4g to DD1 yesterday...I solely use my Mini for everyday things. It is just easier to use that the Touch. Good luck w the decision!

Smillow
02-23-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't know which way to vote since you already have both! I have a nook & a mini & would love to have the nook with glow light instead of the regular nook (the glowlight came out after I got the nook). I find that it bothers my eyes to read on the mini (but I also just got a new glasses prescription, so that may help the eyestrain) in the dark, so my first instinct is to say the paperwhite, but the mini can do so much more!

inmypjs
02-23-2013, 12:32 PM
I think it all comes down to what kind of screen you want to read on - a backlit one like the Ipad mini or an e-ink one like the Kindle. (Obviously the Kindle paperwhite has a light but it is still quite different since it is coming from the front.) So here is my suggestion - read a book for 1/2 hour on each device and see what you think.

p.s. If it was me I'd choose the paperwhite. Or just use the Kindles you have, unless you have others (kids, DH) that would use them.

edurnemk
02-23-2013, 12:35 PM
I personally don't like reading on the ipad, it hurts my eyes after a while. So if you'll be using mostly to read books I say Kindle. I also agree with wellyes, why not get something else for your bday since you already have so many devices?

lhafer
02-23-2013, 12:38 PM
You already have an ipad 3, an ipad mini, a kindle touch and a kindle paper white? I'd get something else entirely for my birthday!

Do you have a vitamix, zoo membership, clarisonic, gym membership, xbox with kinect? A nice train case for cosmetics, a YouBrew, an electric scooter, a SodaStream, a ballet barre? Can you tell I am writing out my own wish list LOL?

This is the problem with having a very techie husband!! He always gets the newest everything...and then we always end up with the old stuff that I have to sell or regift (our friends and family are very grateful for this - they have gotten a LOT of our "hand-me-down gadgets).

I really have no big desire for anything major. Well, a different car, but that's another story! I want the backyard landscaped, but kind of thinking about doing that myself.

Maybe I'll tell him I just want to go to the Cheesecake Factory!! :tongue5: