PDA

View Full Version : Chip in windshield - who to repair

niccig
02-23-2013, 02:19 PM
I've had a chip in my windshield for over a year. At a playdate yesterday a mom told me about a company she used to fix her windshield, safelite, she thought it was around $50. I call them and they say it'll be $89, but I'll get discount with AAA. It's a small chip, so that seems high price, but still cheaper than new windshield.

Just wondering if anyone else knows of good company to use.

Thanks.

cckwmh
02-23-2013, 02:23 PM
doesn't your car insurance cover the repair?

crl
02-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Will your insurance cover it? State Farm used to pay for chip repair, at least with my policy, no deductible to encourage people to get them fixed.

Catherine

crl
02-23-2013, 02:24 PM
doesn't your car insurance cover the repair?

Cross posted. Not all insurance companies do, but worth checking.

Catherine

Tenasparkl
02-23-2013, 02:38 PM
My insurance company didn't cover it and I ended up paying more by going through a company that they set me up with. So annoying!

niccig
02-23-2013, 02:46 PM
I'll check with my insurance company.
I yelped and a local guy (5 mins away) has great ratings, so he's coming out in 2 hours. I told him the size of the chip and his price is half of the other company's quote, with a yelp discount. But he needs to look at it before know for sure the price.

Hopefully it's cheaper and as he'll come to me w/o an extra $20 fee, it's more convenient.

trcy
02-23-2013, 02:49 PM
We used safelite. Our insurance covered it 100%

niccig
02-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Our insurance won't cover it w/o the deductible. They did refer me to another company with AAA discount, but it's still more than what local guy costs. So, going to use the local guy and save some money. It's a small chip on passenger side, and I just need it to not crack any further.

Fingers crossed all the 5 star reviews on yelp are right!

niccig
02-23-2013, 05:02 PM
It's fixed. The reapir is not invisible, but much better than what it was. Technician told me that if had repaired it straight away, it would look better - dirt has gotten into it. He was surprised that it was 12 months old and hadn't cracked windshield further.

And he repaired 2 more smaller chips and didn't charge extra.

So all in all, glad it's fixed. And PSA if you get a chip/crack get it fixed straight away, as normally it will get worse and harder to fix.

khm
02-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Rock chips are covered 100% under our insurance, through Safelite. It's great because we seem to get a lot of them!