PDA

View Full Version : Vitamix dry container!

♥ms.pacman♥
02-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Went to Costco today, where they had Vitamix demo (last day in my area). I bit the bullet and bought a dry container since they were only $98.99 (regular price is $139 or something). DH was mainly interested in it since it can also knead bread and thus we could easily bake our own bread at home ( DS is also a bread guy, no surprise there :)).

So, anyone else have the dry container, and what do you use it for? I know it grinds coffee beans, but we don't drink coffee at all. Also, i'm doing gluten-free, so i'd be interested if anybody has good recipes for grinding your own GF flour. Also, has anyone used dry container to make nut butter? I really want to make my own almond butter.

SASM
02-23-2013, 06:17 PM
I do not know what type of container I have (I am assuming it is wet as I make smoothies and everything else in it)...it was the 64oz one that came with my VM. I make almond flour by adding raw almonds to the container, turning it on, and increasing the variable knob. Stop as soon as it is a flour consistency or it'll start to turn into almond butter. It's only a few seconds. There are instructions for Almond butter in the VM Creations cookbook that probably came with your machine.

I also make coconut flour & coconut butter/manna this way. You can probably also make chickpea flour but I have not tried this, as we do not eat chickpeas.

Almond milk is easy - 1 cup raw almonds and 3 cups filtered water. Variable up to 10 and then on High for about 40 seconds. I strain it through cheesecloth but in doing so you lose a lot of volume in the milk but I also get almond creme off the strained remnants...yummy!

marymoo86
02-23-2013, 07:11 PM
http://homemadeadventure.wordpress.com/how-tos/how-to-make-quinoa-flour/

stinkyfeet
02-23-2013, 09:41 PM
I got a dry container around Xmas time. So far, I have used it to grind soft and hard white wheat berries into flour, to make my own breadcrumbs, to grind up Oreos for truffles. I use it a lot more than I thought I would bc I don't have a food processor. There are some weeks when I use it more than the 64 oz wet container!

♥ms.pacman♥
02-23-2013, 11:23 PM
thanks everyone, good ideas here!! am excited to use it. dh really likes cream of wheat so we may use it to make that.