PDA

View Full Version : What type of white paint for kitchen cabinets-- semi-gloss?

essnce629
02-23-2013, 05:44 PM
I need to buy the white paint for our kitchen cabinets. Does it need to be semi-gloss? I know semi-gloss and glossy are supposed to be the most "scrubable" (is that a word?) and easiest to clean and are usually recommended for kitchens and bathrooms. For those of you with white cabinets-- are they the same color and glossiness of your trim?

SASM
02-23-2013, 06:20 PM
I would ask the people at the paint counter. If semi-gloss is durable enough, I would choose that finish. I, personally, do not like glossy. I am obviously not speaking from experience...I have never painted cabinets but will most likely do so in our next house. Looking forward to responses. Good luck!

crl
02-23-2013, 06:31 PM
I suggest going to the Gardenweb kitchen forum and searching for recommendations. There's more than just semi vs glossy to consider.

How are they being prepped and primed?

Catherine

heatherlynn
02-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Try Ben Moore advance. Satin or semi-gloss.

essnce629
02-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Try Ben Moore advance. Satin or semi-gloss.

I was thinking of that. Is this the paint that BM bought out that used to be called Cabinet Coat? I've seen a lot of recs for Cabinet Coat on some of the other forums and someone said BM now owns them. I think I'm just going to go down to the BM store and ask them.

The painter is going to be sanding, priming, and then painting the cabinets. I'm think he's going to be using a sprayer, but I'm going to call him and ask. He wants to do a top coat as well.

larig
02-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Read this post on YHL. (http://www.younghouselove.com/2012/01/how-to-paint-your-cabinets-aka-hallelujah/) it's great. They used BM advance paint in satin like PP suggested.

essnce629
02-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Read this post on YHL. (http://www.younghouselove.com/2012/01/how-to-paint-your-cabinets-aka-hallelujah/) it's great. They used BM advance paint in satin like PP suggested.

I just saw that earlier today! Yeah, I'm thinking the BM Advance is the same as Cabinet Coat. It's low VOC so that's good!

heatherlynn
02-23-2013, 08:10 PM
I don't think CC is the same as advance although BM did buy CC. I've used both and prefer the advance. Don't use aura; nice on walls but difficult on cabs/furniture, IMO.

crl
02-23-2013, 08:43 PM
You need to make sure the primer and the paint sync up (and possibly the prep method as well--if the painter is using tack cloth, you have oil issues). If the painter is supplying the primer, you need to find out what primer he is using.

Catherine

essnce629
02-23-2013, 08:59 PM
I don't think CC is the same as advance although BM did buy CC. I've used both and prefer the advance. Don't use aura; nice on walls but difficult on cabs/furniture, IMO.

Why did you prefer the Advance over the CC? Just wondering. And yeah, I've heard Aura is great on walls but it wasn't on my short list for the cabinets.

You need to make sure the primer and the paint sync up (and possibly the prep method as well--if the painter is using tack cloth, you have oil issues). If the painter is supplying the primer, you need to find out what primer he is using.

I'm going to be buying the paint and primer. I see that BM Advance has a primer as well, so would it be best to stick with that if I go with the Advance paint?

crl
02-23-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm going to be buying the paint and primer. I see that BM Advance has a primer as well, so would it be best to stick with that if I go with the Advance paint?

it's been so long since I have painted cabinets that the products have all changed. So I don't really know. There were a couple of threads recently at Gardenweb, so I'd go look there.

Catherine

heatherlynn
02-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Why did you prefer the Advance over the CC? Just wondering.

I find the advance easier to work with and that it produces a beautiful smooth finish. It's a little thinner so it can be "drippy" if you lay it on too thick. The CC seemed to be more sensitive to the temperature so would get too thick unless I added floetrol to it. May not be an issue for you in SoCal though. Basically, the advance is supposed to be a "hybrid" of oil and latex - better leveling and hardness of oil/easy cleanup and non-yellowing of latex. This is based on brush painting not spraying so may be different with spraying.

Primer - I use and have been happy with zinsser BIN. Definitely not kilz.