PDA

View Full Version : Consignment Sale Help and Pricing

wildfire
02-23-2013, 11:25 PM
I am really ready to purge. There's a huge consignment sale in April that I'd like to target. Tonight I started sorting outgrown clothes into sellable (no stains, holes, etc.) and donate. I've never done this before, and I am unsure on how to price things. I want this out of the house, so most will be marked as donate. At the same time, DH is unemployed so I want to price it so I get as much as I can but keeping it low enough that people want to buy it. I'm trying to get a feel for range of prices.

Can anyone help me by telling me what you would expect to pay for:

a) Carter's onesie or romper
b) Nice Hanna Anderson sweater dress
c) pair of jeans
d) toddler outerwear

Also, where do you get hangers? The website for the sale I'm looking at says department stores give them away, is that true? I can't afford to buy a whole bunch and I have a pretty big pile of clothes to get rid of.

WatchingThemGrow
02-23-2013, 11:59 PM
i get hangers at the drycleaner- for free. I usually use this one and price things on the lower end if I want them gone. http://www.doodlebugsconsignmentsale.com/files/Pricing_Guide.pdf

wildfire
02-24-2013, 12:17 AM
Thanks, that's a very helpful chart! There's a minimum of $3, but I can group things together in outfits and that gives me something to go on.

We have two JBF sales in my area. One is in three weeks and I'm not sure I'd be ready in time, but has no hanger requirements so a drycleaner would work. The other is in late April but requires plastic tubular hangers or department store hangers.

crl
02-24-2013, 12:53 AM
My only advice is to document what you consign. I only tried a consignment sale once (it's a big one that I have seen referenced on here-Dani's Duds) and my entire lot of washed once never worn (long story) HA and Jack and Janie clothes disappeared. And the people running the sale were zero help.

Catherine

mom2binsd
02-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Make sure that you are not bringing any fall/winter items. Our sale just this year is allowing 5 pairs of jeans in the spring sale, but many sales don't allow jeans in the spring sale. Also no long sleeve items like a sweater dress.

For the hangers for small items, I'd go to Old navy they often have lots at the front, just ask if you can have their extra hangers, and check Dept stores, some will let you go through their piles.
Don't use the pant clippy hangers, most sales don't allow it as the pants always fall off those and they take up a lot of room on the racks.

For small sizes, under size 2, especially if it's girls, price it CHEAP, there is soooooo much in that size.

I'd put at least 2 onsies together on a hanger and go for 4.00

For sizes below size 4 I put in sets if I have a matching top and bottom.

For tshirts I put at least 2 on a hanger.

Pricing wise, I price mine to sell, and usually most stuff goes the first or second day, but I do price for 50% off too.

Shorts/tshirt - 4.50-5.50

GAP/gymbo pants -4-5.00

Shorts - 2 pair - 4.00

2 tshirts- 3.50

Sundress- 4-5

Fancy Dress - 7

Swimsuit- 4-5

Most of my stuff is gymbo/gap/justice/TCP, I don't sell anything high end at the sale, I tried selling my Naartjie, but we're in the midwest and nobody knew what it was. Also, Hanna and Boden aren't big sellers either, what sells is cute and well cared for.

My friend who owns our sale used to own a JBF sale and has put together some great youtube how to video's if you want to check them out go to oneweekboutique on facebook.

belovedgandp
02-24-2013, 11:08 AM
I am pricing now for my second one. I did one 18 months ago for the very first time. I waited to get enough stuff to make it worth while and to do a different season.

I would not mess with anything under 12 months again. People have so much of that stuff from gifts, buying themselves, kids growing so fast that the racks were crazy full and a very small percentage of my stuff for boy or girl under 12 months sold. For that stuff I should have donated or given to a friend.

But anything I had 2T and above (only boy for me at the time) was gone.

I went into that first sale thinking clothes and then moved to some other baby type items. Some toys, baby proofing items, lots of what I felt was random stuff. That all sold.

I took 300 clothing items and 100 "other/baby" items to the sale. I sold 100% of my other items and about 50% of the clothing.

anonomom
02-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Are there any "upscale" sales in your area? We have one here that only accepts fancier brands -- Hanna, Boden, etc. No Gymboree, Gap or similar. It's more work to do two different sales, but the prices are much higher at the upscale sale. People price PD sets from Hanna for over $20 and they're snapped up.

speo
02-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Can you sell toys at these sales? I have lots of high end toys that I'll want to sell sometime soon. Lots of Haba, Plan City, and other wooden toys. It would be so much work to really sell it on Craigslist. Would consignment sales be the best place?

wildfire
02-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the tip on Old Navy! We have one that is on my way home from work so it'll be easy to stop in and get some.

Jeans are allowed at our sales year round. The part I'm struggling with is what are spring clothes. The guidelines say what you would wear March through September. I'm in the Pacific NW and you tend to need long sleeves or a light jacket through May and into June. So I was hoping to include long sleeved items, light sweaters, long johns, etc. I know light jackets are accepted. Looks like I may have to do another sorting pass. :)

I don't know if there are high end sales around, I don't have a huge amount of Hanna and only one or two things from Boden. And one of those I think may end up in my keepsake pile. Most of it is Crazy 8, Gymboree, Carters, Oshkosh, Gap, etc.

They do take toys in our sale, there are guidelines. Wood ones would be OK, no plush toys. I'm probably going to package up some of our larger Little People sets that never really got played with. I am VERY excited about getting those out of the house.

For something like the LP Barn or Garage, does $8 sound about right?

mom2binsd
02-24-2013, 10:37 PM
I find that shoppers don't always know the value if the wooden toys. I'd do 10 on the litter people sets.

I find dollar general is a great place for safety pins and if you put the pins unable bar of soap they go in much easier. I bring my stuff to the sale in the clear dry cleaner bags rather than stuffed in totes, I lay them flat on my Wagon. Use a magic eraser on all toys it does an amazing job.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2