PDA

View Full Version : Ever ordered a POD or Pack Rat storage bin for moving? Did you insure it?

ourbabygirl
02-24-2013, 10:33 AM
We're trying to order one to pack up this week, and I'm wondering if any of you have experience with one of them. Would you recommend it (or not), and did you pay extra to insure the stuff inside it? The PODS site is down right now, so we can't see if they offer insurance, and for how much, but I guess the Pack Rat one (through Lowe's) is $30 a month to insure $5000 worth of items.
Of course, the items we're putting in there aren't worth nearly that much (extra furniture and lots of boxes of things), but I'd be kind of worried not having *any* insurance in case something happens.

Any BTDT?
Thanks for sharing! :)

nfowife
02-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Check with your homeowner's insurance. We have moved a lot, and our current homeowner's policy or renters policy always covers our items while in transit during a move. Then when we arrive at our new destination our stuff gets covered under the new policy. We also have automatic coverage with our moves (military) so the homeowners/rental policy is there as a backup in case the mover's policy doesn't resolve our claims satisfactorily.

WatchingThemGrow
02-24-2013, 05:55 PM
I think my homeowners covered it. Although...the one thing that happened probably doesn't count. DS1's furniture smells weird. It is new (well, 2007ish and 2009ish) and it picked up a weird musty smell in the POD. :(

cleo27
02-25-2013, 12:05 AM
We used 1-800-PACK-RAT to store our entire house furnishings and many belongings Afro about 10 months, while we lived with family while our new home was under construction. We insured it with our homeowners insurance company (I believe it was basically like a renters insurance policy). I don't remember the exact figure, but I think it was around $20 per month.

FWIW it was a perfect solution for our situation and we were very happy with their service (but As far as I know, they were not affiliated with Lowes at that time). We did not have any odor problems at all.