PDA

View Full Version : Laying on back and stomach

spannaz
02-24-2013, 11:51 AM
When did you ladies stop laying on your back and/or stomach? I find that when I'm trying to lay on one of my two sides, my hips will eventually get sore (I have bad hips to begin with) and when both hips are too sore to turn over to, I'll opt to lay on my back or stomach to give the hips some time to stop aching. Is this ok? I'm 15 weeks, but I'm worried what I'm going to do if I physically can't lay on my belly anymore (I'm overweight so there is still some cushioning on the belly, lol). I tried the pillow between the knees last night and it helped a bit but eventually both hips got too sore and I had to opt for my back.

I know they say that you will just know when not to lay on your back (things start tingling and going numb) but I'm wondering when this will be...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgiegirl
02-24-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm 15 weeks also and still lay on my back. I have never been a stomach sleeper, but I do let my 3.5 year old lay on my stomach (when I'm on my back) if he wakes in the middle of the night. I think I will have to stop soon though. Since my first pregnancy I've slept with a body pillow, and at night I alternate between side sleeping and back sleeping. I will just continue with whatever's comfortable. FWIW, I'm thin, so no extra belly padding.

Liziz
02-24-2013, 12:29 PM
I slept on my stomach often until 16-18 weeks, and regularly slept on my back until somewhere around 20-25 weeks, I think. I move a lot at night, so I wouldn't stay in one position the whole night, but would often fall asleep like that. I talked to my OB, who said she wasn't really that concerned about back sleeping for me, so I didn't worry about it too much and just did what was most comfortable!

okinawama
02-24-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm a stomach sleeper, and every night I made it a point to fall asleep on my side, but at some point in the night I'd wake up on my stomach. As time went on, I quit waking up on my stomach (sometime around the 18 week mark), I'm not sure if it was just harder to roll onto my stomach in my sleep or if it just became uncomfortable, but my body kind of made the "decision" on it's own.

KLD313
02-24-2013, 01:58 PM
I was told I could lay on my stomach until it was uncomfortable to do so. I never slept on my back so can't answer that part.

The hip thing got worse for me the further along I got. I recommend a pregnancy pillow or a pillow between your knees.

jjordan
02-24-2013, 02:36 PM
I lay on my back whenever I want, usually up until I deliver. Though side sleeping is more comfortable the further along I get in a pregnancy. It can feel good to have a pillow between my knees like a pp suggested.

sarahsthreads
02-24-2013, 02:37 PM
I feel your pain - literally! Whichever hip I'm laying on is so, so sore after a while, and I try to switch sides whenever I wake up, but it just spreads out the soreness. I've already found when I wake up after having rolled onto my back that my hands are a bit stiff and tingly. I haven't been able to sleep on my stomach at all since a couple of days before I took the pregnancy test because my chest is so sore. (This is what prompted taking the test!)

I've used a body pillow with prior pregnancies, and that helped to some degree, but honestly I just had really sore hips every morning for most of each pregnancy. :(

I keep reminding myself that this is a short-term thing and it's really truly worth it in the end!

Sarah :)

Snow mom
02-24-2013, 07:06 PM
I slept on my stomach well past 20 weeks (basically until I couldn't anymore). I still sleep on my back part of the night at 39 weeks. Eventually I wake up with pain on my right side but it goes away instantly when I roll onto my left side. The OB nurse thought it was funny that I thought laying on my back was problematic. I swear someone told me it wasn't good during my first pregnancy but what I was told this time was that if I felt okay (for a preggo lady) it was fine.

Swallowbird23
02-24-2013, 09:22 PM
I also slept on my stomach until I couldn't any more (around maybe 20-22 weeks?) And when I couldn't any more, I slept on my side but leaned toward my stomach (like half way between my side and my stomach)

spannaz
02-24-2013, 09:32 PM
I feel your pain - literally! Whichever hip I'm laying on is so, so sore after a while, and I try to switch sides whenever I wake up, but it just spreads out the soreness. I've already found when I wake up after having rolled onto my back that my hands are a bit stiff and tingly. I haven't been able to sleep on my stomach at all since a couple of days before I took the pregnancy test because my chest is so sore. (This is what prompted taking the test!)

I've used a body pillow with prior pregnancies, and that helped to some degree, but honestly I just had really sore hips every morning for most of each pregnancy. :(

I keep reminding myself that this is a short-term thing and it's really truly worth it in the end!

Sarah :)

Is the hand tingling associated with laying on your back?? I guess I just assumed I would feel it in my legs. But every morning before I get up I have to check my phone etc. and I find my hand starts tingling, but I thought that was just my hand position. Never thought to attribute that to laying on my back 😜. Good to know.

klwa
02-25-2013, 07:48 AM
With all three, I slept somewhat on my side & somewhat on my stomach the entire pregnancy.... Instead of putting the pillow between my knees, I used it to prop me into a half between position, which was more comfortable than sleeping on my hip or my stomach. With my first two pregnancies, I'd sometimes wake up in basically a fetal position, face down, with my stomach between my legs.

indigo99
03-26-2013, 09:49 PM
I'd get a latex topper ASAP. By the time I reached the end of my pregnancy, my hips hurt SO MUCH at night. We got a latex mattress, and I was really wishing I'd had it earlier. It makes a huge difference.

spannaz
03-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Really? You think a topper would help with the hip pain? Does it support your hips more? I'm intrigued. I keep telling DH that we need a new bed but now is prob not the time since our first is on its way and we'll have some major expenses coming up. Perhaps a latex topper could do the trick. Where can I get these? I'm in Canada so could look online, but preferably in store if anyone has suggestions.

indigo99
03-28-2013, 10:21 AM
I don't know for sure about toppers since I got a full mattress instead of a topper, but latex compresses in a different way than a regular mattress. We tried them out while I was preggers, and I could tell a big difference. On your side, your hip is what's sticking into the bed the most, and it's worse when you're heavier. Depending on how thick your top layer of padding is, it's probably just not enough soft support. Adding another layer of softness should give your hip more cushioning, but there are different softness ratings on latax too so you might want to ask someone who knows a lot about latex. You could try calling or emailing one of the latex places in the US (SleepEZ or Savvyrest are two). We wanted to upgrade from queen to king so, it was a big expense while having a baby, but having a bigger bed made even more sense with 4 in the family.

eta: Some of the places sell latex mattresses with different layers of latex inside so that you can customize the softness (our mattress came in layers that we put inside the cover and zipped up). You might be able to buy the top (soft) layer to use as a topper now and then just add to it later to make a whole mattress. Latex is heavy though so be sure your bed has a center support underneath.