PDA

View Full Version : Miralax Cleanse? Somewhat TMI...

lovin2shop
02-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Anyone BTDT and have drink recs or other advice? I have a colonoscopy scheduled for this week, UGH! They recommend Crystal Light as the drink to mix with the Miralax, but my stomach is often sensitive to artificial sweeteners, so that makes me nervous. I love plain iced tea, but i'm not sure this will mask the taste enough? I've also never taken anything like Miralax before, because if anything, I have the opposite problem that this treats! So needless to say, I'm quite nervous about this process. Any advice?

pinkmomagain
02-24-2013, 02:19 PM
My oldest dd did the same this past summer. She also is sensitive to artifical sweetners...too much and they make her nauseous. All I can say is that she really struggled to finish the quantity in the alotted time and whatever she tried to put it in she will no longer drink now. That includes gatorade and lemonade. If you do like iced tea, I'd say put it in that...or maybe vary what you mix it in so that you don't get too sick of one thing. I don't think it was the taste that was affected so much as the consistency.

Good luck! I'm sure it will all work out fine!

lovin2shop
02-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Okay, another question, and this probably ventures into completely TMI! In the instructions, it says I need to drink half the prep, 30 ounces, 3 hours before the procedure. So, how long does this take to flush through the system? I'm worried I'll still be needing a bathroom while riding to the testing center!

pinkmomagain
02-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Hmm...that doesn't sound right to me, honestly. I am no expert, and it's hard for me to remember exactly, but I *think* dd had to drink the whole thing starting around noon time the day before the procedure and had to drink it within a couple of hours.

Call the office and double check the instructions because you don't want to go through all the trouble to find out that you insufficiently prepped and the procedure cannot be done.

trales
02-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Miralax is tasteless. I usually mix it in my tea.

BEfore my colonoscopy they had me drink this really bad tasting stuff (magnesium something) 12 hours before and it made me use the toilet a lot. It definitly flushed things out.

Pear
02-24-2013, 03:54 PM
It is pretty tasteless. DD prefers it in milk. I think it makes water seem slightly slimy. If I had to drink a bunch, I would probably go with old-school koolaid with sugar because I get migraines from things like crystal light.

scrooks
02-24-2013, 05:22 PM
3 hours before doesn't sound right. It's been colonoscopy central around here this month (DH , mil and FIL on tues). They all had to start drinking Mirilax the afternoon or evening befor the procedure .... It takes awhile (couple hours ) to work.

wifecat
02-24-2013, 06:00 PM
3 hours before doesn't sound right. It's been coloscopy central around here this month (DH , mil and FIL on tues). They all had to start drinking Mirilax the afternoon or evening befor the procedure .... It takes awhile (couple hours ) to work.

Agreed. Prep sounds off. Dh had to start taking stuff by 3pm the day before his procedure (which was at 2pm the next day).

tmahanes
02-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Miralax is tasteless. The docs I work for allow people to mix it in whatever they want. Or patients start the Miralax at 4 the day before the colonoscopy. I would call the office and clarify the directions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

lovin2shop
02-24-2013, 09:31 PM
My instructions are a split dose, half the day before and half the morning before.

newnana
02-24-2013, 09:52 PM
only advice I have is unrelated to what you are drinking, it's about the other end: have a supply of flushable wipes at the ready, you will be tender just using TP. Good luck!

chozen
02-24-2013, 09:56 PM
I thought the last dose was 5-7hrs. Before colon. At least that's what i remember.

scrooks
02-24-2013, 10:28 PM
My instructions are a split dose, half the day before and half the morning before.

DHs was at 7:30 am and had to get up at 3:30 to have the remaining Mirilax. So that sounds about right. By then he was so cleaned out he was fine when he went.

lovin2shop
02-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Okay, I confirmed the instructions. I'm going with Gatorade, the nurse approved that it doesn't have to be the sugar free version. I'm also going to have an assortment of others drinks in case I want a variety.

Half day in on the no eating, doing okay so far with just a life saver and some green tea. I'm guessing that this will help me out on the dietbet game, that is if I don't eat my entire kitchen afterwards!

And, thanks for the TP recommendation, I'm definitely picking up some Prep H wipes! At least focusing on the gross prep part is keeping my mind off the results of the test!

Philly Mom
02-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Not sure what Gatorade you bought but I was told not to have anything red. I have had two colonoscopies. They aren't pleasant but the prep is the hardest part. It will be over in no time.

mom2binsd
02-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Okay, I confirmed the instructions. I'm going with Gatorade, the nurse approved that it doesn't have to be the sugar free version. I'm also going to have an assortment of others drinks in case I want a variety.

Half day in on the no eating, doing okay so far with just a life saver and some green tea. I'm guessing that this will help me out on the dietbet game, that is if I don't eat my entire kitchen afterwards!

And, thanks for the TP recommendation, I'm definitely picking up some Prep H wipes! At least focusing on the gross prep part is keeping my mind off the results of the test!

Yes, you can't use red colored juice, and you can use the less expensive "adult wipes" if needed, the Prep H ones are expensive.