PDA

View Full Version : I have ruined 2+ years of photos and videos.

Green22
02-24-2013, 03:51 PM
I have taken almost all of my 10 mo old DS and 3 year old DD videos with an ipad or an iphone. I just went to organize and download and backup all these photos and videos. On many of them, I must have been holding the phone sideways or the ipad must have been "upside down."

I have all these videos of my baby boy being an infant - upside down. All of these adorable photos of my sweet sweet DD signing and learning to talk and walk and going on easter egg hunts are sideways.

Is there any way to fix this? The only thing preventing me from crying my eyes out is the thought that in the future we will have tvs and computers and stuff that you can switch the monitor direction easily.

So if you have made it this far, learn from my stupidity.

ellies mom
02-24-2013, 04:01 PM
The photos are a breeze to fix. Any photo software can rotate them for you. The videos are trickier. I haven't figured out how to rotate them. There maybe a way in a program that does video editing but I don't have video editing software so I can't say for certain.

If it makes you feel better, I have to watch seveal of dd1's videos with my head tilted to the side.

ahisma
02-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Not ruined at all! There are a ton of ways to rotate them. Photos, you can do from right inside iPhoto.

Here's an easy video solution: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rotate-video-hd/id407389744?mt=8

SASM
02-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Just be happy that you have them. I lost over 7500 photos and videos from my childrens' childhoods. Most of DD1's infancy, out first trip to WDW, DD2's baptism...and MANY MANY more photos. I'd would love to have them back if they were upside down. ;) I am sure they are fixable.

Multimama
02-24-2013, 05:28 PM
I don't know how to fix them, but they are all fixable. I do this all the time and although it's more of a pain with videos you can get them rotated the way you want them. You just need the right software.

larig
02-24-2013, 05:33 PM
If you use a mac, you can do it using imovie. (http://www.wondershare.com/imovie/crop-rotate-photo-videos-in-imovie.html)

Green22
02-24-2013, 06:19 PM
SASM - you are right. I have lost photos before (of my dog) and was devestated. I am terrified of it happening again so I never delete anything . . which is why I never noticed these were upside down. But you are right, and I am sorry you lost all your photos. That is truly truly heartbreaking.

And thank you all for telling me it can be fixed!!!!!!!! I am on a POS PC so I didn't even think to look for an app or anything that can fix it. I suppose what I can do is store them for now, and hopefully once we get a new computer it will be a mac and I can flip them around. thank you thank you thank you

trales
02-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Upload them all to a free photo website, shutterfly, flikr etc, then you can edit from there. Or treat yourself to a mac :).

MSWR0319
02-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Just be happy that you have them. I lost over 7500 photos and videos from my childrens' childhoods. Most of DD1's infancy, out first trip to WDW, DD2's baptism...and MANY MANY more photos. I'd would love to have them back if they were upside down. ;) I am sure they are fixable.

:yeahthat:

I lost the first two years of DS1's life plus who knows what else. I'm still sick over it.

I know you can flip them if you load them into Shutterfly, so I'm sure you can flip them in a photo software.

larig
02-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Those of you who've lost photos, I saved 4+ years of photos for a friend. Her HD failed, and I was able to take her drive out of her laptop, into an enclosure, put her drive in the freezer overnight, and extract some of the data from the drive. My point, there are things you can do cheaply sometimes to recover data.

daniele_ut
02-24-2013, 11:49 PM
You can download Picasa for free and rotate all of the pictures that way. No Mac required.