PDA

View Full Version : Help me plan our Spring Break trip to Kauai! (Update in post 17)

essnce629
02-24-2013, 07:03 PM
So we're planning to go to Kauai for 7 nights the last week of March. We have never been to Kauai or anywhere in Hawaii at all. Since the board has been great at helping plan our trips to San Francisco and Monterrey, I thought I'd ask here again for advice!

So far, DBF wants to stay on the North Shore at Westin Princevile Ocean Resort Villas
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60626-d1023257-Reviews-Westin_Princeville_Ocean_Resort_Villas-Princeville_Kauai_Hawaii.html

But now we were thinking we should probably figure out where all the most kid-friendly things to do are. If everything is mostly on the South Shore then we should probably find a place down there.

So what do you think? What are the best kid-friendly activities for a 9 1/2 year old and an almost 4 year old? I know we won't be able to do some of the cool activities that DS1 would like (like tubing and zip lining) since DS2 is still too young. And is the North Shore a good place to stay or would it be better to be on the South Shore? We'll be renting a car I know that.

How's the weather out there at the end of March/early April? And are there a lot of mosquitoes?

citymama
02-24-2013, 07:15 PM
We go to Kauai almost every year and have learned that the very best place to be in Kauai is on the north shore (Hanalei). It's paradise. I'm on the phone so bookmarking to give you more info later.

elektra
02-24-2013, 07:25 PM
One of our favorite things to do on the north side of the island is to hang out all day in Hanalei bay. We pack lunches and just hang out near the water. They have little places to rent paddle boards and kayaks so both kids should have plenty of things to do as far as activities.

ahisma
02-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Hanalei, for sure. No question.

citymama
02-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Ok, still on the phone, but here are my top 10 reasons for loving the north side:
--the birds and views at Kilauea lighthouse
--ke'e beach sunset
--snorkeling at tunnels beach (my #1 favorite thing!)
--Kalalau trail -works most scenic hiking trail (not good for kids though)
--queen's bath (be careful there as the waves can be choppy)
--Hanalei farmers market and pierce Brosnan sightings (he is a hanalei fixture)
-- dolphins at anini beach
--wishing well shave ice in Hanalei
--jumping off the Hanalei pier
--sunset picnic at Hanalei beach

Just go north! The Westin is lovely. What can be more kid friendly than a lovely resort with pool and some of the world's best beaches? Na aina Kai is fun too, and it's not far from princeville - make a reservation. You can totally skip the south. The east side (kapaa) has some good eating and an awesome playground and kid friendly protected beaches.

My only caveat is we always go in summer, so check about the surf levels, which tend to be higher in the north during winter and south during summer. With kids, you want to avoid high surf.

Tondi G
02-24-2013, 08:07 PM
I've heard Princeville is beautiful but tends to be wet/rainy. Just something to consider.

I did some searching on this site when we were considering a trip to Hawaii .... lots of good info and the agent I e-mailed back and forth with was very nice and helpful!

http://travel-hawaii.com/kauai_hotels.html

I would check out the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa in Poipu. I know my kids would be thrilled with the waterslide and the river pool!
http://travel-hawaii.com/Grand_Hyatt_Kauai_Resort_&_Spa.html

citymama
02-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Yes, the north shore is more lush and green and the south is drier. The rain tends to be sporadic and only for a short time on days it rains. Check what the typical forecast is for April. Most of the rain is in the northwest, not really in Princeville. As for the Hyatt, it's an awesome resort if you are looking for a resort vacation - where you spend most of your time in the resort rather than at the beach or exploring the island. But the Westin is really nice too.

essnce629
02-24-2013, 09:20 PM
As for the Hyatt, it's an awesome resort if you are looking for a resort vacation - where you spend most of your time in the resort rather than at the beach or exploring the island. But the Westin is really nice too.

I don't think we'd spend most of our time at the hotel/resort. The kids would rather be at the beach than at the pool I think. And we definitely want to spend as much time as possible exploring the island. So would the Westin work in this situation or should we look somewhere else? Is the Westin near Hanalei or is that another part of the North Shore?

Tondi G
02-24-2013, 09:41 PM
If you don't want the resort amenities I would suggest looking for a house to rent... it'll probably be more cost effective.

94bruin
02-24-2013, 09:49 PM
We just went to Kauai for a 2nd time this past November. The first time we stayed in a condo in Poipu and had a 2.5 yo. This past time, we stayed at the Hyatt with a 7 & almost 4 yo.

The first time, we drove around the island exploring the sites. One day to the north - and it was rainy. One day to the West - lots of hiking in this area. WE spend most of our beach days at Poipu. There is a area protected by boulders, so there aren't any waves crashing into the kiddies. We hired a babysitter one day so DH & I could do a doors-off helicopter ride.

The second time, we spend most of our days lounging by the Hyatt's pool. I never though I'd be the type of person to do that, but it was very relaxing. The trip was for my 40th birthday, so it was definitely nice to just sit and veg out by the pool. It's a pool with many hidden alcoves. My 7 yo LOVED the twisty slide. They loved laying on inflatables in the pool. There's also daily koi fish feeding, bird talk & evening entertainment. There's also a luau - but DH & I have done one, so we didn't feel the need to do it this time. Maybe when the kids are older.

It was nice to relax the 2nd time - but DH & I have visited the Hawaiian islands many times, though, and have done most of our exploring before kids.

ahisma
02-25-2013, 12:14 AM
We've always rented a house or a condo, then spent the days on the beach at Tunnels (Hanalei). Best vacation ever. If you go that route, try VRBO.

I think it depends on your personal style. We're just not resort people. We've tried and it's just not for us.

citymama
02-25-2013, 02:17 AM
I don't think we'd spend most of our time at the hotel/resort. The kids would rather be at the beach than at the pool I think. And we definitely want to spend as much time as possible exploring the island. So would the Westin work in this situation or should we look somewhere else? Is the Westin near Hanalei or is that another part of the North Shore?

If you look on the map, you'll see that P'ville is about 40 mins from Hanalei. PV is more centrally located than Hanalei, which is close to the end of the road. We stay pretty much at the end of the road, in Haena near Tunnels beach. H is more of a secluded, off the grid experience (you cross 7 one-way bridges to get to Haena, very slow going). PV is the last point in the north at which there are high end resorts, so unless you want a condo or house, you're best off there. It's more touristy than Hanalei, though. It just depends on your style.

essnce629
02-25-2013, 03:13 AM
Thanks so much everyone! We'll check out Hanalei as well before booking something.

So what about things to do with the kids besides the beach? DS1 is 9 1/2 and DS2 will be almost 4 when we go. I've heard about the train tour at the Plantation, the Botanical Gardens, and the family tour at the Chocolate Farm. What else is a must see or do? Any favorite restaurants?

waver
02-25-2013, 03:20 AM
It depends on your family/kids.

We've been to Hawaii seven times (Kauai twice) with our kids, who are aged between yours.

My kids like to
1. snorkel, play at beach. They could do this all day, every day. your older one may like to boogie board.
2. play at pool.
3. Hike...LOTs of great hikes there.
4. Go to farmer's market. Go eat at smaller places.

We've not taken them on a kayak, but I think they would like that.

Have fun, lucky duck!

citymama
02-25-2013, 03:24 AM
Thanks so much everyone! We'll check out Hanalei as well before booking something.

So what about things to do with the kids besides the beach? DS1 is 9 1/2 and DS2 will be almost 4 when we go. I've heard about the train tour at the Plantation, the Botanical Gardens, and the family tour at the Chocolate Farm. What else is a must see or do? Any favorite restaurants?

--Na Aina Kai
--Botanical Gardens (there are 4 - one near Ke'e beach in Haena)
--Kilauea Lighthouse (I like the Lighthouse Cafe not far from there for lunch after visiting)
--Shave Ice!
--Water activities like catamaran rides around the Napali coast (more for your 9 year old), snorkeling lessons, boogie boarding
--We've never done this, but not far from PVille there are farms and places to go horse riding. It looks like fun (I think the chocolate farm is there too)
--There's a waterfall hike inland on the east side too - we've never done it because it's like 1.5 hours each way from where we are, but probably more like 40 mins for you)
--Farmers markets are fantastic, lots of great fruit and fresh coconut!

See my second post with the top 10 list. Some additional things are on that list. It's more a "being" island than a "doing" island, for sure! I wouldn't pack it full of stuff.

If you rent a condo or place with a kitchen, there's a Costco and Walmart not far from the airport which are essential first stops!

georgiegirl
02-25-2013, 08:29 AM
We went two year ago and stayed at the grand Hyatt in Poipu. That resort is great for kids...amazing pools, koi feeding, daily bird show, lazy river, water slide, lagoon, etc.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Waimea canyon. It's beautiful! Spouting Point is also cool. We also spent a day at Hanelei Bay and loved it too.

My kids loved chasing chickens wherever we were.

Our kids were 1.5 and almost 5 when we went, so we couldn't do anything too crazy. We did take an airplane tour of the island, which was great, since DS was too young to take one of those catamaran snorkeling cruises to the Napali coast.

essnce629
03-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Ok, so DBF ended up skipping the Westin and booking a Waipouli Beach condo. This one:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/53165

What do you think? It gives us a full kitchen and we'll still have a pool/spa/lazy river/slides for the kids.

DBF just emailed me this link about Kayak tours: https://www.kayakkauai.com/
We wants to do a 3 hour "Blue Lagoon" tour which includes kayaking and snorkeling. It says it's family-friendly and I read a few reviews from families with kids as young as 6 yrs old that had a blast, but I didn't find any reviews about kids younger than that. Do you think DS2 (4 in May) would be too young? There's no age limit on the website. It says the kayaking is in "calm, clear, shallow waters." DBF could ride with DS2 and I'd ride with DS1. What do you think?

Also, what stuff should I bring in my suitcase and what stuff should I buy there? I know there's a Costco and Walmart right? Should I bring snorkeling gear from home or buy it there? I definitely wouldn't want to rent anything that goes in my mouth! If we plan to rent bikes should I bring DS1 and DS2's helmets? After dealing with lice 4 times the thought of renting a helmet freaks me out! What about a life jackets for DS2? And of course we're going to be in Kauai for Easter so I'm going to have to manage to pack the kids Easter baskets somehow!!!!

elektra
03-04-2013, 07:57 PM
I would recommend Lydgate as one of your beach days if you are staying in that area. We always make a trip here.
http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/kauai_beaches/lydgate_beach_park.php

billysmommy
03-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Your Ds2 should be fine doing the tour. Our boys started snorkeling at 4 & 7. We did a private charter in the USVI and they both loved it!! Ds2 needed to rest more often so we would take turns going onshore or back to the boat depending which was closer. Ds1 had snorkeled at the beach before but this was Ds2's first time. We were surprised at how quickly he picked it up!