PDA

View Full Version : oscars are in the tank

hillview
02-24-2013, 09:43 PM
wow the
"saw your boobs"
and the
"black hand"
jokes are SO bad. I am usually not super sensitive. I liked most of the super bowl ads. This is BAD.

okinawama
02-24-2013, 09:50 PM
I have it on in the background as we're dong the bed time routine, so I'm not paying a lot of attention, but I always feel like awards shows/hosts are so annoying. I almost wish they'd just stick to singing/entertainers in between and then do back to back presenters. The jokes are usually awful and watching the audience/celebrity reactions is almost painful.

MamaMolly
02-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Well isn't the guy hosting the creator of Family Guy? Lower your expectations!!!

hillview
02-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Well isn't the guy hosting the creator of Family Guy? Lower your expectations!!!
oh

I am stupid. I didn't know that. That said I assume he didn't just wing it.

Mommy_Again
02-24-2013, 10:35 PM
I was watching with my 9 year old DS because I thought he would like to see someone his own age nominated (QZ- I won't even attempt to type her name!). After the boob song, DS wondered what she must have thought of that song. Yeah, even he picked up that it was totally inappropriate. Not to mention the Django/n-word/Mel Gibson joke. Ugh, painful!

I wasn't super digging any of the dresses this year, either. All were just "eh".

SnuggleBuggles
02-24-2013, 10:35 PM
It's better than James Franco. He was truly, truly awful. I am a Seth Macfarlane fan- in small doses. So, I am enjoying this fine. I still like Billy Crystal though and miss him.

TwinFoxes
02-24-2013, 10:46 PM
It's better than James Franco. He was truly, truly awful. I am a Seth Macfarlane fan- in small doses. So, I am enjoying this fine. I still like Billy Crystal though and miss him.

:yeahthat: although the open was unbelievably long...he needed an editor.

wellyes
02-24-2013, 10:50 PM
But Shirley Bassey was epic. Made it all worth it!

essnce629
02-24-2013, 10:51 PM
I actually liked the boob song and thought it was funny-- especially the part about Kate Winslet! DS1 is 9 1/2 and has been sitting next to me the whole time and I was fine with the song around him. He's reading his Harry Potter book though and only looking up sometimes.

zukeypur
02-24-2013, 10:56 PM
I thought it was funny. Ava was sitting beside me reading a book and didn't say anything.

Green_Tea
02-24-2013, 11:10 PM
I :heartbeat: Seth MacFarlane, and love anything musical theatre, so this is pretty much the best Oscars ever for me. He's pretty risque - this is actually rather toned down for him.

SnuggleBuggles
02-24-2013, 11:18 PM
I actually liked the boob song and thought it was funny-- especially the part about Kate Winslet! DS1 is 9 1/2 and has been sitting next to me the whole time and I was fine with the song around him. He's reading his Harry Potter book though and only looking up sometimes.

:yeahthat: My 10yo was cracking up. When I'm not home, I know they watch Family Guy and he knows it's totally inappropriate. Funny though.

Twoboos
02-24-2013, 11:23 PM
The Sound of Music bit just made me LOL!!!

And has there ever been a tie before?? It was Sound Editing (I think?) but still!

ETA: I like the Jaws music too.

Overall, it's amusing but I'm going to bed.

trales
02-24-2013, 11:24 PM
I was just annoyed with pre show and Kristen chenowithe and her look at me I'm cute, petite and short, love me.

There were a lot of racist jokes tonight that I just found weird.

PZMommy
02-24-2013, 11:36 PM
One advantage to living on the West Coast, is we get this one live, so it is on super early for us.

I loved the musical segment with Jennifer Hudson and then the cast of Les Mis. otherwise the rest is just okay.

Mommy_Again
02-24-2013, 11:36 PM
I really like Seth and I'm rooting for him - I just think his earlier jokes fell flat. It might be because the oscars are so stuffy. It's hard to be really funny here. The show is a big snooze feast for me, but I'm admittedly not a fan of musical theater ;)

mom2binsd
02-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Apparently Kristin Stewart didn't get the memo not to show up on stage drunk and thrashed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

elektra
02-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Apparently Kristin Stewart didn't get the memo not to show up on stage drunk and thrashed.

OMG she was a wreck!

SnuggleBuggles
02-25-2013, 12:43 AM
OMG she was a wreck!

Her hair and makeup was dreadful. I did hear that she is on crutches for an injury so that at least explains the hobbling. They showed her at the Honorary Oscar ceremony and she actually looked nice! I don't know why she didn't apply the same effort tonight.

justlearning
02-25-2013, 12:55 AM
I had the Oscars while I was in the kitchen cleaning up. DS (7 years old) heard the boob song for a couple of minutes until I found the remote and changed the channel. I didn't say anything about the song, but he said, "That's funny--I saw your boots." (And that's not autocorrect--he did say "boots".) :)

lovin2shop
02-25-2013, 02:08 AM
Ha, I was totally relieved that DS2 thought it was "boots" also. He was singing it loudly and continuosly until bedtime. DS1 snickered throughout the song and his brother's replay, he totally knew that he wasn't saying "boots"!

s7714
02-25-2013, 02:29 AM
I think it's one of the best I've seen in a while actually. I get exposed to enough of Seth's humor (DH watches his shows) that this seemed quite calm. At least he can sing. Franco last year was just bad.

I have to say I'm really loving almost all of the dresses this year. Usually there's a few that make me cringe, but none so far.

s7714
02-25-2013, 02:51 AM

She walked the red carpet with crutches. I think she would have been better off bringing them on stage too. It kind of looked like she was in pain (talking through clinched teeth, etc.)

willow33
02-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Anyone else think Renee Zellweger looked horrid? I didn't recognize her at first! Either she is really not aging well, had too many facial injections or she was a little tipsy tonight. Jane Fonda looked better!

alootikki
02-25-2013, 09:51 AM
hillview, I also thought the "I saw your boobs" song was ridiculous and offensive. Didn't care for it at all! And I swear I'm not a prude :)

wendibird22
02-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Yes the opening was a bit crass but the premise was that these would be numbers that would give him bad reviews and Shatner was trying to help him out. In that context I thought the sketches were funny.

janine
02-25-2013, 09:55 AM
I actually liked it and didn't find it offensive - not a huge Family Guy fan but I do like Seth McFarlane, he's pretty talented and gotta get a few digs in there. And based on how he's gone after celebs in his shows, it was not a surprise.

janine
02-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Anyone else think Renee Zellweger looked horrid? I didn't recognize her at first! Either she is really not aging well, had too many facial injections or she was a little tipsy tonight. Jane Fonda looked better!

Yes! I thought maybe she was drunk, she couldn't focus!

kmkaull
02-25-2013, 10:00 AM

She looked horrible! HDTV is not her friend. Kristin Stewart . . . I have nothing nice to say other than ask why she was even invited to the Oscars. What a mess!

And I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I'll never understand why Jennifer Aniston always shows up at the Oscars.

ECMom
02-25-2013, 10:00 AM
I usually watch the Oscars but turned it off during the opening. Boobs + William Shatner = bomb in my book. It could have only been worse if it had been Regis Philbin instead of Shatner.

Gracemom
02-25-2013, 10:01 AM
I didn't care for Seth's "humor" but I loved all the music, especially Les Mis! I just don't care for insult comedy, or what I call "lowest common denominator." He took cheap shots at women, gays, Jews, black people, etc. etc. The jokes are just old to me, and not that funny. I secretly liked the boob song though. :rotflmao:

I loved Jennifer Lawrence's dress. Did anyone see her fall? I felt so bad for her. Why didn't they have someone helping her up the stairs??

boolady
02-25-2013, 12:30 PM
I was seriously underwhelmed. I expected Seth McFarlane's humor to be more edgy, but largely appropriate. I didn't find it edgy or appropriate-- just boring and some of it offensive. During the entire opening monologue/schtick with Shatner, I kept thinking it must be a joke. No joke. What a snore.

Globetrotter
02-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Yes the opening was a bit crass but the premise was that these would be numbers that would give him bad reviews and Shatner was trying to help him out. In that context I thought the sketches were funny.

:yeahthat:

I enjoyed the Oscars this year, more than usual!

Renee Z. and Kristen Stewart looked like they rolled out of bed - really bizarre that you would go to the biggest party of the year like that. Their publicists should be embarrassed. I didn't like Halle B's dress at all - very 80s!- though she looks gorgeous in anything! Also didn't like Anne H.'s gown - the chest area was just weird looking. Melissa Mccarthy looked like she was wearing a sack - very unflattering!

I loved Nicole K., Queen L., Adele, Jennifer A., Jessica Chastain, Channing Tatum's wife (never heard of her before - Jenna Dewan Tatum), Salma H.

I loved everything about Jennifer Lawrence, inc. her sense of humor :)
Love how Helen Hunt wore… H and M!!!

squimp
02-25-2013, 01:35 PM
I missed the opening since I'm on the West Coast and it was so early, but overall I really enjoyed it. LOVED Adele, so glad she sang that song, it is fantastic and was a great start to that movie. I also loved the Goldfinger singer - wow. I am going to have to look up the Les Mis performance because I missed it.

Count me in with those wondering what is up with Renee Z - she seemed so out of it. Maybe she needed glasses? Or they hadn't practiced enough? Queen Latifah salvaged that presentation.

I also had to laugh at JLaw's fall - she also had a wardrobe malfunction at another recent award show! At least she can laugh at herself. I still think of her amazing performance in Winter's Bone.

I loved Tarantino's crazy acceptance speech and Daniel Day-Lewis' thoughtful and funny speech. I am still kinda floored that an Irishman would play Lincoln and so well.

I also loved Liam Neeson and George Clooney. They could have continued talking for much more time.

I felt like Macfarlane did OK, thankfully keeping his mouth shut most of the time I watched. I had to explain to DD why his comments about Salma Hayek were prejudiced. I really think it's a lack of creativity and intelligence to include racist and sexist jokes on a night like this.

SnuggleBuggles
02-25-2013, 01:51 PM
The H&m dress would have been good had it not been so wrinkled.

I've noticed Renee Z. and her squint for years...maybe she does need glasses!

dogmom
02-25-2013, 02:03 PM
My DD was watching some of it with me. During the boob song she goes, "What are boobs?" I said, "That's an impolite term for breasts, sort of like other words for your behind." "Oh," and then pause, "the girls aren't going to like that song!"

KLD313
02-25-2013, 02:28 PM
I've noticed Renee Z. and her squint for years...maybe she does need glasses!

:yeahthat: She didn't look any different to me.

I didn't watch the whole but I was underwhelmed by the we saw your boobs things. I just didn't find it funny.

amatahrain
02-25-2013, 04:30 PM
I roll my eyes every time I see Kristen Stewart. How does she always manage to look stoned, dirty and unkempt?

hillview
02-25-2013, 04:56 PM
I roll my eyes every time I see Kristen Stewart. How does she always manage to look stoned, dirty and unkempt?
:yeahthat:

wellyes
02-25-2013, 05:09 PM
I think Renee Z is a victim of plastic surgery. Not really fair, it's not like a huge number of women and men up there didn't have it too, but it really just did not work on her.

I thought the host was OK - not boring, not too suck-up-y like Billy Crystal, very meta which is appropriate these days. But damn that was some old-school sexist BS up there. His humor was crass, fine, but why were women always the butt of it. (Oh, I forgot, also Jews and Chris Brown & Rhianna). I read a review somewhere that noted when he insinuated the 9 year old would be dating Clooney soon, he apologized to Clooney for it.
Gross.

I did like the foxtrot and soft shoe. Those were nice touches.

I loved Tarantino's crazy acceptance speech and Daniel Day-Lewis' thoughtful and funny speech. I am still kinda floored that an Irishman would play Lincoln and so well.

I read Liam Neeson was up for the Lincoln role too, funnily enough.

I know the Gone With the Wind thing was supposed to be cheeky, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

squimp
02-25-2013, 05:28 PM
I also thought Renee needed some hairspray and powder for her nose (insert bag over head). I actually adore her - she looks and sounds like me - and I was just sad to see her looking so odd.

I was totally crying during Barbra's memories - that got me for sure! She sounded good.

janine
02-25-2013, 05:36 PM
I also thought Renee needed some hairspray and powder for her nose (insert bag over head). I actually adore her - she looks and sounds like me - and I was just sad to see her looking so odd.

For me it was the weird trying to focus expression and then seeming a little shaky while doing it. Flyaway hairs didn't help, she just seemed like she'd popped too many pills or something.

Did anyone see Halle Berry during red carpet arrivals? I may've misssed some of the exchange (with Robin Roberts) since the kids were being loud, but she looked like she was about to burst into tears. She gave the right answers (talked about being a Bond girl, what she was wearing), but something seemed off.

squimp
02-25-2013, 05:41 PM
I didn't see the red carpet bit but Halle also seemed shaky to me when she did her presenting. Like she was struggling a bit. She looked great and I loved her dress.

TwinFoxes
02-25-2013, 05:50 PM
The H&m dress would have been good had it not been so wrinkled.

:yeahthat: Maybe it was supposed to look like that, but it just ended up looking like it could use a good steam.

Did anyone see Halle Berry during red carpet arrivals? I may've misssed some of the exchange (with Robin Roberts) since the kids were being loud, but she looked like she was about to burst into tears. She gave the right answers (talked about being a Bond girl, what she was wearing), but something seemed off.

Well, when she and Robin Roberts first started talking Halle Berry called Robin Roberts her friend, and said "I'm glad you're here" and Robin Roberts said something like "Yes, I am here, I am" in a "praise be" sort of way (alluding to RR's serious health issues). I think Halle may have gotten choked up by that. It seems like they are genuinely friendly.

I think I'm the only person who that Kristen Chenowith nailed it! The stars seemed to have genuine affection for her, she didn't try to ask "original" questions that are just stupid or offensive (remember when Ryan Seacrest asked a very preggo Jessica Alba if she was planning to breastfeed? :47: ) I thought it was nice having someone who's actually won a lot of awards do the red carpet. Plus, I think she's adorable...she's so tiny, she'd fit in my pocket!

MamaMolly
02-25-2013, 05:51 PM
I didn't much care for Halle's dress until I saw her walking forward to make her presentation, and then I thought OMG that is a beautiful woman in a beautiful dress. The way it moved was amazing.

TwinFoxes
02-25-2013, 05:52 PM
I didn't much care for Halle's dress until I saw her walking forward to make her presentation, and then I thought OMG that is a beautiful woman in a beautiful dress. The way it moved was amazing.

:yeahthat: on the red carpet I thought, meh. But coming out on stage I thought wow!

TxCat
02-25-2013, 06:50 PM
I'm on the fence about MacFarlane. Some of his jokes definitely fell flat, but it wasn't the worst hosting in the last 10 years. I've always wondered why Hugh Jackman didn't do it a second time - I remember thinking he did a very reasonable job as host.

I have to admit I loved both of Jennifer Lawrence's dresses last night - the Dior ballgown and the Calvin Klein for the Vanity Fair party. The Dior was very Cinderella, but I thought it fitted well and was very age- and career-appropriate for her last night.

Other looks that I liked: Reese Witherspoon (although I found her annoying during her award presentation), Sandra Bullock, Charlize Theron, and Kerry Washington. Jessica Chastain looked good, but I felt like the color of the dress was kind of boring for her.

Hated Kristen Stewart's dress, makeup, hair, and attitude. Look, if you are really shy, just don't go to these things - it hurts your image more to go and half-ass it. If you are going to go, make an effort and be professional about it. What is her PR team thinking?

wellyes
02-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Well, when she and Robin Roberts first started talking Halle Berry called Robin Roberts her friend, and said "I'm glad you're here" and Robin Roberts said something like "Yes, I am here, I am" in a "praise be" sort of way (alluding to RR's serious health issues). I think Halle may have gotten choked up by that. It seems like they are genuinely friendly.

Oh, thanks for that context! I didn't know the backstory and that exchange was just nonsensical to me.

MMMommy
02-25-2013, 06:58 PM
I enjoyed Daniel Day Lewis' acceptance speech. Funny, kind and nice.

I can't stand Kristen Stewart. Always so socially awkward and lacking grace at these events. Maybe she's nervous, but maybe she should just not present an award!

I thought Amy Adams, Jessica Chastain, and Naomi Watts looked beautiful.

Not fond of Russell Crowe's singing....

I think Family Guy is hilarious, but I do think Seth bombed with the audience last night. There were uncomfortable silences, when I'm sure he expected laughter.

elektra
02-25-2013, 07:05 PM
:yeahthat: Maybe it was supposed to look like that, but it just ended up looking like it could use a good steam.

I think I'm the only person who that Kristen Chenowith nailed it! The stars seemed to have genuine affection for her, she didn't try to ask "original" questions that are just stupid or offensive (remember when Ryan Seacrest asked a very preggo Jessica Alba if she was planning to breastfeed? :47: ) I thought it was nice having someone who's actually won a lot of awards do the red carpet. Plus, I think she's adorable...she's so tiny, she'd fit in my pocket!

I didn't know Kristen Chenoweth did a preshow! I really like her too. So tiny- yes! Ryan Seacrest is horrible.

citymama
02-25-2013, 07:05 PM
I think the Academy should take a leaf out of the Golden Globes organizers' book and just get the smart, funny ladies to host, OK? Tina and Amy would have classed up the joint! Pay them whatever they want, they are worth it!

I loved Adele and Shirley Bassey. Although Jane Fonda's hair is still stuck in the 80s, so is her figure - WOW! She makes 75 look phenomenal. I didn't care for the many shades of white, nude and beige on display. Except Charlize Theron. Wow.

DDL's speech was perfect. Just perfect. :heartbeat: I've loved him since he played the young gay kid in My beautiful Laundrette! And he just gets better and better. Since the whole world knew Argo was going to win the big prize, couldn't Ben have practiced it a couple of times ahead of time? But all is forgiven, Ben is back.

The jokes at the expense of 9 year QV - not cool. Not AT ALL cool. I didn't care for the rest, but just keep away from the kid.

Bizarrely, I hadn't seen any of the movies this year - except for Brave. How sad is that? They're on my Netflix queue though.

AngB
02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
The New Yorker did not like him at all...http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/closeread/2013/02/seth-macfarlane-and-the-oscars-hostile-ugly-sexist-night.html

trales
02-25-2013, 08:50 PM
I agree with the New Yorker article. I am always up for an off color joke, but those were stupid and not funny and frankly a lot racist.