PDA

View Full Version : WWYD re: party favors

MamaInMarch
02-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Just wondering what the etiquette is for this...

DS (turning 4) is having his birthday party on Saturday. His friends are my friends' kids. There will also be some kids from his preschool class. I didn't specify on the invitations to family friends that only the children DS's age were invited. I assume, expect, and am fine with the younger siblings attending. Should I provide favors for them? The littles are 2.5yo and younger. Favors are sport sipper bottles shaped like bowling pins. And possibly a strip of tattoos or stickers.

I really don't mind either way but I hate to order more than I really need. Just not sure how other parents would feel if I only had bottles for the bigs. I know personally I would not care if DD did not get a favor like this at a party. Opinions?

SnuggleBuggles
02-24-2013, 10:11 PM
It depends, to me, how many people you are talking. Usually when we include siblings it's b/c I only invited 3-5 families to celebrate with us. And, in that case, I provide favors to all the kids. This year everyone got big cookies and Lego Minifigures. Another year everyone got stickers, a balloon and homemade chocolate lollipop. And another time I actually put together bags for each family with a small game everyone could enjoy together.

But, I don't think I'd want to do it for a big crowd. If that's the case, I'd probably just do the bottles for the big kids but I'd plan to give the little ones something too.

TwinFoxes
02-24-2013, 10:22 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to give favors to some kids and not others, unless you want a bunch of crying kids. They won't understand why they're not getting a gift.

ETA: I don't think it has to be the same favor, but something in a goodie bag.

wellyes
02-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Favors to invited guests only is standard and is totally reasonable IMO.
But a little something (stickers maybe ) on hand in case of sibling meltdown isn't a bad idea.

crl
02-24-2013, 11:10 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to give favors to some kids and not others, unless you want a bunch of crying kids. They won't understand why they're not getting a gift.

ETA: I don't think it has to be the same favor, but something in a goodie bag.

:yeahthat: Though if the favor is appropriate for little ones, I would just go with the same thing--save the other moms the fight when they get in the car and realize they have different things.

Catherine

waitingforgrace
02-24-2013, 11:15 PM
I'd definitely have enough favors for all the kids. I would be super annoyed to have only DD1 get a favor since DD2 would throw a fit and then they'd be fighting over it.

speo
02-24-2013, 11:44 PM
I posted a similar question last year except the sibs were older. The majority said to have favors for all of the kids attending. I am glad I did too. The sibs rushed over when I was passing out the favors to get theirs also. I would have hated to have to tell them that the favors weren't for them. Having the favors kept everything nice and easy!

lcarlson90
02-24-2013, 11:48 PM
DS just had his party today and I made sure I had enough extra favors for siblings I didn't know we're coming. I think the parents would understand why only the invited child would get a goody bag but its hard to explain to the younger sibling why they aren't getting something. I usually just buy extra and return it if I don't end up using the stuff.

Pear
02-25-2013, 12:29 AM
From about 14 months and up, DD would have been upset about other kids getting favors and her not getting anything. By 2.5 she would be very upset if her favor was significantly different from the older kids. She is just a kid who notices things and while some of her skills lag, he object permanence has always been above the curve.

edurnemk
02-25-2013, 12:57 AM
We always have favors for the siblings (the same favors for everyone).

citymama
02-25-2013, 06:44 AM
We always have favors for the siblings (the same favors for everyone).

Ditto. People need to RSVP and tell you how many kids are coming! If not, then make your best guess and have some extra on hand. If it's a favor that's tough to add on more of at this stage, you can have some special things just for the little ones. But I find that usually leads to conflict so try and do the same for all.

MamaInMarch
02-25-2013, 07:06 AM
Thank you all. I think I will just go ahead and have some extras of the bottles. Now that I think about this, I remember DD wanting to use the same construction cone cup as her brother from his previous party and she was several months younger then. I never would have guessed that a little one so young would know the difference but she absolutely did. Thanks for the perspective and the memory jog!