PDA

View Full Version : How did you first explain the death of a person to your DC?

CharlotteMommy
02-24-2013, 10:14 PM
The other day, my DS very innocently was asking where various family members lived. He got around to asking about my father, who passed away many years before he was born, and I sort of froze, not really knowing what to say. I changed topics and he didn't notice, but I know at some point the topic will come up again in one way or another.

So, how did you first explain about the death of a person to your DC? TIA for your input!!

MamaMolly
02-24-2013, 10:24 PM
My stepfather passed away before Lula was a year old. We were talking about him just last week. I guess you have to consider what your belief system is, and go from there. Do you believe in heaven? I told Lula that her Pop-pop died and his spirit is up in heaven with God.

hillview
02-24-2013, 10:24 PM
pretty matter of fact. DH's dad has passed away. So we told DS1 he was dead. We got a bunch of questions about when and how and why. All answered with short answers (before mommy met daddy about 10 years ago, he was really old, he was really old, his heart gave out).

maestramommy
02-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Interesting. I think the first person my DC asked about was FIL, who passed away before DD1 was born. We just said he died. Then we had to explain what that meant, in very simple terms. They know about animals and bugs dying. Then last year I delivered meals to a man who was in hospice and I had to explain to the kids what that was about. I think we've always been very straightforward but not offering more info than they ask for. They don't necessarily understand it right away, but more and more over time. Our neighbor's dog just passed away, and that, along with MLK and Presidents' Day, DD1 is finally starting to understand the finality and impact of death.