PDA

View Full Version : Hoop De Doo, Boma, or Epcot something?

BayGirl2
02-24-2013, 11:39 PM
So we've extended our conference-based trip. We realized my conf. + 3 days in the park was going to be pricy, but 6 days in the park would be incrementally not much more. So this will be our big WDW trip for a few years. I'm starting to consider a baby #3 later this year so it makes sense not to wait a year, DD is still under 2, and we are getting a great rate for GF which we'd otherwise not pay for.

Anyway, adding more ADRs and I have a dilemma: Monday will be our first day and we're going early to Animal Kingdom, will do Tusker House bfast and spend the day there. It closes early that day so we'll go somewhere else for dinner from AK. (We don't do afternoon breaks, our kids nap in the stroller and DH and I chill, but prefer not to go back to the room) So for dinner that night I'm trying to decide where to go:

1. Boma for dinner and walk around AK Lodge - seems really cool, but is the food too similar to Tusker House?
2. Hoop De Doo Musical Review - its the only "dinner show" that night. I can get over the price if its fun and the food is decent (DH loves BBQ) Worth it?
3. Epcot - We're not doing Epcot till Sat and will do Biergarten, Coral Reef and Illuminations that day. Is there something not to be missed that I should plan on an earlier night? Its a recommended park in terms of crowds.
4. MK - I really want to do dinner at Be Our Guest or the Castle but shockingly those are not available with 75 days notice. So I'm stalking cancelations. :bowdown:But going over there and doing counter service is an option too.

Any thoughts on Boma vs. Hoop De Doo vs. other options?

Tinkerbell313
02-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Mmmmmm...I love both Boma and HDDR.

AKL is one of my favorite resorts, warm and inviting, and Boma is definitely one of the better buffets at WDW. The food is good and there is a variety. I do not find the food spicy at all and find that the pickiest of eaters can find something on the buffet. There is always something going on at AKL and the kids love the animals. The employees who work out with the animals are very knowlegable.

But, with that said, we loved HDDR. And I think your kids will be more entertained with the HDDR dinner. The food is picnic food...spare ribs, fried chicken, corn bread, baked beans, corn, mashed potato...I can't remember the dessert...something cobbler like. Best part of all...all you can drink SANGRIA!!! (Sorry....I am not a big drinker...but I like to relax). It is a very entertaining show for kids and parents. I think its worth the money. When we went in October, there were only 15 tables filled so everyone sat in the front pretty much.

Our kids liked Ft. Wilderness. Depending on the time of your dinner, you can go over to Chip and Dale's Campfire Sing Along https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/chip-n-dale-campfire-sing-a-long/ (you can buy marshmallows there) or you can take a wagon ride (up to $8.00 per person) around the campground https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/tri-circle-d-ranch/.

We took a wagon ride...it lasted about 45 minutes. We were there around Halloween so lots of campsites were decorated for Halloween. We have never considered staying there before but after seeing the campsites, we are seriously considering it.

We took a boat over from MK.

BayGirl2
02-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks, that's so what I needed to hear. I know we will love Boma, all of us are adventurous eaters, but I feel like Tusker + Boma in one day will be a lot of similar flavors.
I booked HDDR last night just in case. I do love that drinks are included!!!! Although I think DH and I will find it kind of cheesy, we usually find Disney-cheesy to still be high quality. Love the idea of the camp fire or wagon ride. My DS would love that.

Tinkerbell313
02-26-2013, 09:54 AM
You are correct about the tastes of Boma and TH being similar.

Not sure if you know...I mentioned that we took the boat over from MK. Where the boat drops you off at FT. Wilderness...its is a 1 minute walk over to Pioneer Hall. Otherwise, if you take the bus to FW, you will need to get off the bus and then get onto the internal bus at FW.

Coming from GF and using Disney Transport, I would take monorail (or boat) to MK and then the boat to FW.

It is a hard choice...but I would go with HDDR. You will enjoy yourselves.

Moneypenny
02-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Another vote for HDDR! We were just there a couple of weeks ago and all three of us really had a good time. DH likes that it's all you can eat and I also enjoyed the sangria, lol! The dessert is strawberry shortcake. It's a cheesy show, but in a good way.

jjordan
02-26-2013, 11:14 AM
I love Boma, but I've never been to Tusker House, so I don't know how similar they are. It's been decades since I've gone to HDDR.

As for Epcot, there are lots of good places to eat there; I don't know if any of them is a "must do." We like the Mexican restaurant, princess dining in Norway is fun if you have princess-lovers... Garden Grill is fun too. And while we were there, another guest told us that they had pizza in the Italy pavilion that was best pizza they had ever had.

BayGirl2
02-26-2013, 11:34 AM
You are correct about the tastes of Boma and TH being similar.

Not sure if you know...I mentioned that we took the boat over from MK. Where the boat drops you off at FT. Wilderness...its is a 1 minute walk over to Pioneer Hall. Otherwise, if you take the bus to FW, you will need to get off the bus and then get onto the internal bus at FW.

Coming from GF and using Disney Transport, I would take monorail (or boat) to MK and then the boat to FW.

It is a hard choice...but I would go with HDDR. You will enjoy yourselves.

I was thinking about the boat, but we'll probably go to WL straight from AK. So we're talking a bus then, right? Then we could take the boat home via MK then monorail to GF. Unless for some reason we decide to go back to GF, but that just seems out of the way to me. I think I'd rather take the bus around the inside of Ft. Wilderness to see the area.

Tinkerbell313
02-26-2013, 12:50 PM
You are correct...bus from AK to FW and then internal bus to back of FW.

Regarding getting back to GF...you can take boat to MK and then another boat from MK to GF or yes, you take monorail to GF.

If you have time (actually it doesn't take that much time) and kids have energy getting back to GF...you can always take boat from FW to Contemporary. It lets you off in back of Contemporary. Then you can walk grounds of Contemporary into resort and then catch Monorail on 4th or 5th floor of Contemporary. Just giving options on seeing other resorts.

I am glad to see Moneypenny likes the sangria as well!!! While it may not be high quality...I still enjoyed it!!

BayGirl2
02-26-2013, 01:21 PM
You are correct...bus from AK to FW and then internal bus to back of FW.

Regarding getting back to GF...you can take boat to MK and then another boat from MK to GF or yes, you take monorail to GF.

If you have time (actually it doesn't take that much time) and kids have energy getting back to GF...you can always take boat from FW to Contemporary. It lets you off in back of Contemporary. Then you can walk grounds of Contemporary into resort and then catch Monorail on 4th or 5th floor of Contemporary. Just giving options on seeing other resorts.

I am glad to see Moneypenny likes the sangria as well!!! While it may not be high quality...I still enjoyed it!!

Oh, I like that idea. Probably would bypass some crowds around MK too. I'd love to see different resorts and DS is a big monorail fan, so that would be fun for him.

I'm sure I will appreciate the included Sangria as well! DH and I are unreasonably excited that drinks are included.

fivi2
02-26-2013, 01:21 PM
I was thinking about the boat, but we'll probably go to WL straight from AK. So we're talking a bus then, right? Then we could take the boat home via MK then monorail to GF. Unless for some reason we decide to go back to GF, but that just seems out of the way to me. I think I'd rather take the bus around the inside of Ft. Wilderness to see the area.

Just FYI the WL is not the same as Fort Wilderness. Wouldn't want you getting on the wrong bus!

BayGirl2
02-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Just FYI the WL is not the same as Fort Wilderness. Wouldn't want you getting on the wrong bus!

Thank you! I was confusing the two while typing and questioned that. Very good point!