PDA

View Full Version : water proof mattress pad/cover recommendations?

okinawama
02-25-2013, 10:16 AM
DS1 is in underwear at night, but he has an accident once or twice a month, and our mattress cover isn't keeping the mattress dry. Do you have one to recommend? I see some that range from $10 (for a twin) all the way up to $50. Are some better than others? I don't mind spending the money if it's going to help protect his mattress, but if a $10 will do, than I'd obviously rather go that route. I've also seen mention of a small mattress pad that you lay under the sheets, but I couldn't find any links on here and was unsure which was the better option.

o_mom
02-25-2013, 10:31 AM
We love ours from IKEA. We have had them for 5 years with no issues. Not crinkly either.

mmommy
02-25-2013, 10:53 AM
We love ours from IKEA. We have had them for 5 years with no issues. Not crinkly either.

:yeahthat: They wash nicely, don't make any annoying sounds under the sheets, and aren't expensive.

wendibird22
02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
We used an Ultimate Crib Sheet on DD1s twin bed. If you turn it sideways (landscape oriented) it is wide enough to fit the entire width of a twin mattress with extra on each side to hang over/tuck in along wall. It is then still deep enough for a wiggly kid who might scoot up or down in their sleep. The description says it holds 4C of liquid. We have 2 of them from our crib using days so one lived on DD1s bed (on top of the sheet) and if it got wet I'd take it off and put a fresh one on. Sooooooo much easier than changing off sheets and a mattress pad and also a heck of a lot less laundry. So her bed was just a regular cheap mattress pad, a sheet, and then topped with the UCS.

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Ultimate-Crib-Sheet/dp/B00003XAKP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361807800&sr=8-1&keywords=ultimate+crib+sheet

PS: they come with elastic straps to help tie to crib rails but they snap off so I just removed them when I repurposed the sheet.

MommyofAmaya
02-25-2013, 12:15 PM
We had good luck with our Ikea cover. It lasted about 2 years with regular washings before it started leaking. I needed another in a pinch and picked up this one from Target recently and tested it before use and it did not let any of the 1 cup of liquid through after an hour.

http://www.target.com/p/room-essentials-waterproof-mattress-pad-white/-/A-12294390#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=waterproof+mattress+pad

Do not buy the one currently in the Costco warehouse. It seems really luxurious for the cost, but leaked immediately.

okinawama
02-25-2013, 01:49 PM
For many many reasons, including a the mattress cover, I so badly wish we lived near an ikea, but we don't :( I'll check out some of the others listed! THanks!!

Tondi G
02-26-2013, 12:41 AM
We had good luck with our Ikea cover. It lasted about 2 years with regular washings before it started leaking. I needed another in a pinch and picked up this one from Target recently and tested it before use and it did not let any of the 1 cup of liquid through after an hour.

http://www.target.com/p/room-essentials-waterproof-mattress-pad-white/-/A-12294390#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=waterproof+mattress+pad

Do not buy the one currently in the Costco warehouse. It seems really luxurious for the cost, but leaked immediately.

really... we bought a mattress pad from Costco and DS2 hosed the bed BIG TIME.... it didn't leak through at all! I really like it too ... seems nice and comfy.