PDA

View Full Version : What was you DD's 1st birthday theme?

cookiemonster80
02-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Just curious- we did cupcakes for dd1- cute but not original. Looking for ideas for dd2 and am coming up dry.

marymoo86
02-25-2013, 10:52 AM
We did an owl them but she was born in the fall and had a lot of "owl" stuff when she was a newborn.

lizzywednesday
02-25-2013, 11:27 AM
We also did an owl theme, because DD really loved owls as an older infant.

Thanks to the moms here, I found these party supplies online:

http://www.birthdayexpress.com/Look-Whoos-1-Pink-Party-Supplies/66504/PartyKitDetail.aspx

crl
02-25-2013, 11:28 AM
No theme. Just a pale blue and green color scheme.

Catherine

♥ms.pacman♥
02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
we did cupcake theme for dd's 1st birthday. i thot it was fairly original, and i was happy to have a more "generic" theme as their 2nd birthday my dc have already obsessed with a licensed character :) it was also easy to find nice cupcake-themed stuff in Target dollar section.

for ds's first birthday we did monkey theme, as he really loved monkeys (still does). i was going to do girl monkey theme for dd's 1st but then decided on cupcakes.

Mopey
02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Oooooooooooh, her first birthday is in a few weeks! As I am a pastry chef there will be lots of goodies. We are doing quiche and salad for lunch with cava, and then cookies and cake. Since she is a first day of spring baby the cookies will be Spring themed (think tulips, hearts, initials) and the cake is a small two tiered design with flowers I will watercolor up the sides, with piped details and all the color spectrum to match (rainbow). I think I will do some cookies favors as well. Yow!

Getting so excited! And also wondering why I am bothering to throw a party for a one year old!!??! :hysterical:

TwinFoxes
02-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Octonauts/water. They were really into swimming and the Octonauts Disney Jr show. It was a fun theme to work with. We gave away sand pails filled with stuff as our goodie bag. The main favor was a glycerin soap from etsy with a goldfish in it, it looked like those baggies of goldfish you win at a fair. People thought they were real at first!

ETA: OOPS! I misread! I thought you asked about their LAST birthday theme. Their first birthday was a beach theme. I was homesick for California. :)

Staraglimmer
02-25-2013, 11:33 AM
DD1 had a Winnie the Pooh 1st birthday. I'm am thinking about giraffes for DD2. What about a teddy bear picnic theme. If you look on The Birthday Express sure, they have a ton of 1st birthday options.

gatorsmom
02-25-2013, 11:50 AM
The theme for all my kids' first birthday was, "I survived the first year!". J/k I was always so afraid of breaking them when they were that little, kwim?

I didn't really do themes until the kids were old enough to choose the theme themsleves. At that age I did a cake with ice cream and we had playdates. That was the extent of it.

wendibird22
02-25-2013, 11:54 AM
With DD1 is was rubber duck. We did a 3D wilton duck cake on a blue round cake. Super cute. For DD2 it was cupcakes.

ellies mom
02-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Fairies for DD1. We bought a lovely fairy at Hallmarks and worked around it. She still has it on her dresser. Although I need to glue the wings back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sariana
02-25-2013, 12:12 PM
We did a flower theme. It was one of the 1st birthday themes from Birthday Express.

edurnemk
02-25-2013, 12:12 PM
For DD I'm contemplating an owl theme, ladybug theme or The Very Hungry Caterpillar because she loves that book and I saw a very cool caterpillar cake on Pinterest :ROTFLMAO:

I'll post links later when I'm on my laptop.

ETA:

Owl cake: http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2888484/a/3283825/youre-a-hoot-first-birthday/ (I've worked with fondant before, so I *might* tackle this one if I'm feeling confident)
Owl theme and cupcakes: http://www.hwtm.com/index.cfm?page=albums/view_album&albumid=162&categoryid=35
Ladybug cupcakes: http://www.tasteandtellblog.com/a-ladybug-birthday-party/
Ladybug 1st birthday party supplies: http://www.birthdayinabox.com/party-themes/all-parties/ladybug-1st-birthday.html
Very Hungry Caterpillar cake: http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/originals/a3/86/58/a3865826855007c834183113fb2502c7.jpg

jbbhb
02-25-2013, 12:15 PM
We did a red and turqiouse sock monkey theme. My sister and I went way over the toppling decorations. Going to try and attach a pic. 2869

infocrazy
02-25-2013, 12:21 PM
DS1 "1"
DS2 Monkeys
DD Butterflies

Mikey0709
02-25-2013, 12:38 PM
We did a Pajama Party - and instead of gifts collected donations for the PAJAMA PROGRAM! (you may have seen commercials for this on Sprout!). We ended up collecting over 40 pairs of new PJ's and many new storybooks. This worked out AWESOME - - cause we didn't need more toys for a 3rd child!

Since we heard about this on Sprout - - we ended up doing a SPROUT theme... everything was decorated with Star and Chica - - most of it was printables and cut-outs found on their website.... made star pillows, made coloring books for the kids, star lollipops.

Even the adults loved coming in PJ's!

I'd be happy to pass on ideas and pictures if anyone needed them. Post here and let me know - since i'm bad about checking private messages!

klwa
02-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Did ladybugs for DD1. Still have some time before deciding for DD2, but thinking about butterflies. DS's first we did puppies.

MamaInMarch
02-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Pink poodles! We are a standard poodle owning family and she has had several outfits from the Oodles of Poodles line from Gymbo, as well as some previous poodle lines. Colors were pink and black.

We used these for cupcakes: http://www.amazon.com/Meri-Poodle-Cupcake-Kit/dp/B0042G7DTY

Her smash cake was a mini version of this: http://www.glorioustreats.com/2011/08/pink-ombre-swirl-cake.html

Seitvonzu
02-25-2013, 02:54 PM
"Lucy in One-derland"

i made a bunch of tea sandwiches/mini desserts, decorated sorta garden party-- chinese lanterns (think the mad hatter disney scene)

i bought fabric "hats" from IKEA-- they were flower pots, ladybug/bee, flowers,etc. for the kiddos.

but the piece de resistance was when i decided to theme our christmas tree around the party too...(we didn't have ANY of our normal christmas stuff out that year....we focused on birthday (2 days before christmas and the party was on the 20 th i think).... instead of all our ornaments/colored lights, i did all white lights and glittered flowers/butterflies. i spent forever glittering everything and then on the bigger (think giant sunflowers) flowers i put googly eyes to make "singing flowers" -- like the ones that sung disney's "golden afternoon" the tree was GORGEOUS and even DH said "we should do this tree every year" -- it was really a nice

it was a fun party :) we did have cake and smash cake too. it was just a normal sheet cake w/ a little round tiered cake, decorated with flowers (garden party style, ya know). my child ate that thing like it was her job. after about 10 minutes, my mother said "is someone going to take the cake away..." oh my! (no we hadn't been practicing.... ;))

lec
02-25-2013, 03:08 PM
DD1 was obessed with this little crab bath toy - it went everywhere with her after she was about 7 months old - it even traveled from the midwest to Cali on vacation. So we had a crab/ocean theme. She got the Step2 Crabbie sandbox for her birthday from DH and I.

DD2 - I still have a ton of time to figure out but I'm thinking "our little pumpkin is turning 1" since its an October bday.

MamaInMarch
02-25-2013, 03:11 PM
"Lucy in One-derland"

i made a bunch of tea sandwiches/mini desserts, decorated sorta garden party-- chinese lanterns (think the mad hatter disney scene)

i bought fabric "hats" from IKEA-- they were flower pots, ladybug/bee, flowers,etc. for the kiddos.

but the piece de resistance was when i decided to theme our christmas tree around the party too...(we didn't have ANY of our normal christmas stuff out that year....we focused on birthday (2 days before christmas and the party was on the 20 th i think).... instead of all our ornaments/colored lights, i did all white lights and glittered flowers/butterflies. i spent forever glittering everything and then on the bigger (think giant sunflowers) flowers i put googly eyes to make "singing flowers" -- like the ones that sung disney's "golden afternoon" the tree was GORGEOUS and even DH said "we should do this tree every year" -- it was really a nice

it was a fun party :) we did have cake and smash cake too. it was just a normal sheet cake w/ a little round tiered cake, decorated with flowers (garden party style, ya know). my child ate that thing like it was her job. after about 10 minutes, my mother said "is someone going to take the cake away..." oh my! (no we hadn't been practicing.... ;))

Sounds absolutely incredible!!! Would you be willing to share some pics?:D

MamaMolly
02-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Lula's nickname was Bunny so we did a bunny theme for hers, and Dolly had flowers.

swissair81
02-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Letmesee... DD1 got stuck with the Harry Potter theme my brother chose for his 9th birthday. DD2 didn't have a 1st birthday because my morning sickness was so bad. Next kid was a boy. DD3 had a cupcake theme. DD4 is only 6 months. I have a bad track record. I'm better with second birthdays.

Tenasparkl
02-25-2013, 03:28 PM
DD had pink & spring green decorations with cute little birds that I found (cupcake toppers, banner, tshirt) on etsy.

DS will be one in April and is obsessed with balloons, so right now the plan is to have lots of balloons.

buddyleebaby
02-25-2013, 03:32 PM
DD1 had a mad tea party.
DD2 had a sweet shop.
DD3 isn't one yet. :ROTFLMAO:

candaceb
02-25-2013, 04:42 PM
For DD I'm contemplating an owl theme, ladybug theme or The Very Hungry Caterpillar because she loves that book and I saw a very cool caterpillar cake on Pinterest :ROTFLMAO:

I'll post links later when I'm on my laptop.

here's the Very Hungry Caterpillar party I did for DS:
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=408332&highlight=hungry+caterpillar

BayGirl2
02-25-2013, 04:52 PM
DS had primary colored balloons as a theme.
DD had a Puppy Party. Little puppy figures on the cake (which are now a restaurant waiting toy) and stuffed Puppies as favors. She loves puppies.

happymom
02-25-2013, 05:02 PM
I didn't really do a theme exactly, but the paper goods were polka dotted and I made a polka dotted cake to match. So I guess the theme was polka dots, lol.

I think a Dr. Suess theme or Hungry Caterpillar theme is fun and a little different. Common enought that you can find lots of ideas on Pinterest though :).

Have fun!

citymama
02-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Themes? We're supposed to do themes for our kids' birthdays? Now you tell me!

If we had a theme, it was called toddlers in the sandbox.

edurnemk
02-25-2013, 06:40 PM
here's the Very Hungry Caterpillar party I did for DS:
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=408332&highlight=hungry+caterpillar

Wow! Awesome party! You are very creative. I'm bookmarking that thread!

This is the cake I saw on Pinterest: http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/originals/a3/86/58/a3865826855007c834183113fb2502c7.jpg

TxCat
02-25-2013, 06:57 PM
:bag

No theme for DD's 1st or 2nd birthday parties. She got homemade chocolate cupcakes both times, and I purchased some helium balloons for her second birthday. I figure I have many years of ahead of greater expectations for birthday celebrations as she gets older, I might as well enjoy being low-key while I can.

edurnemk
02-25-2013, 07:15 PM
:bag

No theme for DD's 1st or 2nd birthday parties. She got homemade chocolate cupcakes both times, and I purchased some helium balloons for her second birthday. I figure I have many years of ahead of greater expectations for birthday celebrations as she gets older, I might as well enjoy being low-key while I can.

This was my thinking when DS turned 1, I got "1st birthday" supplies at Target and made a simple cake, put up some balloons and had a few friends with similarly aged kids come over to play and have cake. But this time around for some reason I really want to do something more elaborate, I started thinking about her party the moment I finished cleaning up after DS's party a mont ago :rotflmao: (and her bday is in July!) I feel a bit ridiculous, and I totally know I'll be doing it for me since DD won't know the difference. I don't plan on spending much, everything will be homemade and we'll mostly invite close family.

Tondi G
02-25-2013, 08:04 PM
I have boys but for DS1 we did a 1st birthday theme

http://www.birthdaydirect.com/hugs-and-stitches-boy-1st-birthday-party-supplies-c-33_2993.html

There are a TON of 1st birthday themed good now and I highly recommend this site Birthday Direct ... we've ordered from them numerous times and they have been great to work with!
http://www.birthdaydirect.com/1st-birthday-party-supplies-c-33.html

For DS2 we had a "monkey" theme. Lots of yellow, green and brown. I made the goodie bags from brown lunch bags (did faces like the cups have on this page) and they were super cute! http://www.marthastewart.com/269020/party-decorating-ideas-animal

I found a ton of monkey stuff at Oriental Trading too. We wrapped a green grass skirt around the front of the high chair tray and got some adorable pics of DS eating his birthday cake!

AnnieW625
02-25-2013, 08:12 PM
I sent out invites I printed on paper (which I printed on my computer) which were a circus theme because I had a horrible time finding 1st birthday invites in 2007. Other than that we had no other theme. Since 2007 I have seen so many cute 1st birthday theme stuff.

DD1 and DD2 had a combined birthday for family and friends the year DD2 turned 1. I found a lollipop design for the invite on Etsy and it had a 5 in one lollipop and a 1 in the other. We had no other lollipop related things at the party.

elephantmeg
02-25-2013, 08:41 PM
DS jungle animals-it was the nursery theme. DD had a combo party with DS and we did a spring party - vanilla flower cupcake and chocolate dirt and gummy worm cupcakes

barkley1
02-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Ladybugs :). I found several cute ladybug dresses to pick from for her to wear, and made her a ladybug smash cake.

Liziz
02-25-2013, 10:27 PM
No theme! I just bought some 1st birthday plates and balloons. Even the cakes were theme-less...just plain white frosting (which I've been meaning to post about....off to go start that thread). We kept it really simple -- just 2 other families + grandparents. I thought about doing something fancier, but ran out of time. Everyone had a great time and I didn't stress so it was perfect!

maestramommy
02-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Our DCs first bday was a big extended family party, so no theme.

Swirvin
02-26-2013, 05:21 AM
We did a "Teddy Bear Picnic" theme but kept it very simple. We did checkered table cloths and simple cut flowers in vases for the table decorations. The cake was just a classic white-frosted carrot cake. The only thing I think I bought for this party was the flowers. I do sometimes go overboard on our birthday parties but I always try to recycle/repurpose whenever possible.

My older kids made party hats for our stuffed teddy bears and we set up a little play area for the bears with their own little picnic set up. This was a big hit with the birthday girl.

Here are a few photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59593787@N03/sets/72157629567017130/with/5615840002/

Mermanaid
02-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Hello Kitty. We had brightly colored balloons and a purple cake in the shape of the number 1 with little flowers on it. She also had her little smash cake.

It was just family so we didn't go all out.

chozen
02-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Oooooooooooh, her first birthday is in a few weeks! As I am a pastry chef there will be lots of goodies. We are doing quiche and salad for lunch with cava, and then cookies and cake. Since she is a first day of spring baby the cookies will be Spring themed (think tulips, hearts, initials) and the cake is a small two tiered design with flowers I will watercolor up the sides, with piped details and all the color spectrum to match (rainbow). I think I will do some cookies favors as well. Yow!

Getting so excited! And also wondering why I am bothering to throw a party for a one year old!!??! :hysterical:

Sounds good!

momtoonegirl
02-26-2013, 10:19 AM
DD's first birthday theme was Baby Einstein. The cake was shaped as the caterpillar.

Melaine
02-26-2013, 11:07 AM
The theme was: Yay! Mommy and Daddy survived the hardest year of their lives.

But, really, no theme.

PunkyBoo
02-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Punkin's 1st was bubbles and rubbed ducks theme "Look who's turning one, join us for some good clean fun!" was on the invitations. We had a bubble machine going and had rubber ducks as flavors and holding down the balloons.

For Boo we had a zoo animal theme. Coscto cake and I put toothpicks into the bottom of Little People zoo animals to decorate the cake.

maybeebaby08
02-26-2013, 01:10 PM
DD1 was cupcakes, low key family party.

DD2, we're doing professional photos instead of a party and I'm doing a Lemonade Stand theme, I'm going to decorate a table and make a few small cakes.

AnnieW625
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Themes? We're supposed to do themes for our kids' birthdays? Now you tell me!

If we had a theme, it was called toddlers in the sandbox.

:yeahthat::rotflmao::hysterical:

We have been apparently living under the same rock. No wonder our kids are so much alike!:)